Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff city players released

+6
Merthyr Imp
Cyfarthfa
scamp
douggolfer
Boz1964
Marthyr123
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cardiff city players released  Empty Cardiff city players released

Post  Marthyr123 Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:07 am

With Cardiff releasing a number of young players this could be a fantastic opportunity for Merthyr to pick up some quality players .

Marthyr123

Back to top Go down

Cardiff city players released  Empty Baby Bluebirds

Post  Boz1964 Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:26 pm

I have no objection to see Bluebirds over the White roofs of Merthyr....but only as a 'gloss' on our existing stalwarts who gave done us proud so far this season.

From my humble observations we are short ( in the absence of Matthew Harris and Maestro Kris Leek) of a box to box midfielder with an explosive finish....

Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Cardiff city players released  Empty Re: Cardiff city players released

Post  douggolfer Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:37 am

I understand where your coming from Boz but after only having two sub's on the bench Saturday i think we have to rethink our recruitment , if we had not signed Adam in midweek we could well have had only one on the bench!!!!
If we are serious about progressing in these leagues then we have to incress our playing squied , yes we don't have a great catchment area but we both reilise there are players out there who can still do a job in this league, its not fair for Gavin and supports to have such a limited squied,

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:00 am

Are we recruiting players in the right areas.I know Adam will be a good asset and is young but we have enough defenders to sink a battle ship

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:46 am

The current squad is too small to cope with having to play 2 games a week. The Club needs to back Gav & allow him to bring in at least 2 QUALITY players to help maintain our push for  a play off place.  To have just 2 subs yesterday was poor to say the least & does not put pressure on players to perform.

The Club can find the resources to employ a Book Keeper to add to the existing Backroom Staff, I would suggest that this could have been better spent helping Gavin improve the quality of the First Team squad.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:50 am

Can't agree more,I would think our non playing budget is out pacing our playing budget!!! I think the board have to understand when supports and owners see we are unable to field adequate playing staff thet question's will be asked , it seems whenever a position on the non playing side of the club arises it is filled , that seems not to be the case on the playing side !!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 am

A few points:-

By my reckoning there is a squad of 20 players, including two goalkeepers, the manager, one player apparently out on loan (Hutson) and one injured (Scotcher).

We've been told that only the 16 players in the squad for a match get paid, so there is no extra cost in adding players to the overall total of 20. I suppose it could be argued that is an incentive for players to perform - to be good enough to get in the match squad so they get paid.

No doubt better quality players could be brought in to replace those we already have, but that's another matter for debate.

After it was announced Josh Yorwerth's loan period was being extended until January (which of course didn't work out as Crawley wanted him back) Gavin Williams was quoted as saying: "I'd...like to thank the board for their continued support this season".

Regarding the employment of off-the-field staff, someone's got to do it, and I can't see sufficient numbers of volunteers with the necessary expertise and time coming forward to do the work. Plus, I think those bodies who provided the grants for the pitch and new developments at the club have a right to expect the administration of them to be done professionally.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:14 am

Not of Adams quality we haven't,what do you think of giving him a couple of games in midfield.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Men 1969 Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 am

Gavin has mentioned on TWO occasions already this season that we wanted to thank the board for allowing him to add strength to the playing squad. People seem to have conveniently forgotten that.

2 Subs? Yes that is frustrating of course but if there are injuries, working commitments, suspensions at the last minute then can that be helped? Surely has nothing to with the board as Gavin is responsible for on field matters?

The negativity from some people is baffling

Mr Men 1969

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:47 am

rustic wrote:Not of Adams quality we haven't,what do you think of giving him a couple of games in midfield.

I'd like to see Scott Barrow given a go in midfield, which with Adam Davies now available again for left back might be an option. I think it was in the first home of the season, against Basingstoke, when Barrow was played wide on the left, but we hardly gave him the ball - when he did get it he cut inside and scored!

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:53 am

Mr Men 1969 wrote:

The negativity from some people is baffling

You should try looking at Hereford's equivalent of this Forum. They still find plenty to criticise about on and off field matters despite being 9 points clear at the top of their division and pulling in 2,000+ crowds.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:44 pm

I think you'll find volunteering went down the pan with some of us when the board installed a C E O on a large salary
owners and supports had no idea this was about to happen!!!!, yes the board is there to control the day to day running of the club but this was a major decision which owners should have been in the loop, there are more of these decision being taken ,I understand that the club is changing but we have to remember its still a football club
so you'll have to pardon us if we feel as owners we are being left behind when we don't know what is going in our club, you my be surprised to learn that a number of owners are frustrated at the lack of input we have.
You are entitled to class it as criticism that's what democracy is all about, perhaps its sad that we have to use a forum to voice our fellings . I did not envisage when I voted for the build that the structure of the club would change so dramatically!!!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Men 1969 Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:22 pm

It will be interesting to see if the Club have been "inundated" with frustrations by owners.

Some transparency from the board in regards to the clubs structure was probably something that may have been dealt with in a better way, although there are a few individuals that are the first pounce on the negativity yet are nowhere to be seen when something positive happens.

Gavin had asked the board to raise the playing budget twice for Barrow and Yorwerth which was accepted. Despite Gavin's praise, this has quickly been forgotten.

Things will never be perfect and I'm all for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism but I would also praise successes. The Club in itself is a success story, an incredible team effort whether it's on the pitch, academy, off the pitch, community, soccalot, whatever it may be. It's a fantastic club. Let's try and remember that sometimes

Mr Men 1969

Back to top Go down

Cardiff city players released  Empty Nice to see new Forum 'Blood'

Post  Boz1964 Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Well it is nice to see two new characters appearing on this site:-

Mr Positive and Mr Realism.

Given the size and previous incarnation of our Club....I for one am delighted with our season this far and given our limited income and budget feel we are working more Miracles than Smokey Robinson.

If we can stay unbeaten at home and recoup our injured players I will join your user name and be Mr Happy too.

Progress through Stability.

Boz santa

Last edited by Boz1964 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Autocorrect)
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:17 pm

I'll only point out further that the next round of annual elections to the Board will be occurring fairly soon, with four places available.

So here's the chance for anyone who thinks the club could be run better or differently to step forward and take a hand in it themselves.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:35 pm

If it was only that easy!!!!!! That's a goodnight from me , could even be good by

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:25 am

Brilliant! some good honest debate on this Forum, first time for months.

Finally would like to say we all want the same thing Promotion, so Onwards & Upwards & let's kick start our season again on Saturday with a resounding win.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Cardiff city players released  Empty The 18th Hole

Post  Boz1964 Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:53 am

Don't go Doug.

Our Club is too small to split into factions.

No PPrexit ....please PPremain.

We need all the support we can get ....especially fans that have been following the Town for decades.

Change happens at a Club....not always for the best ...but in this case it was by necessity and if we are to keep football in our magnificent stadium....it has to be achieved in a different way on a business footing.

Otherwise what was the point of all the hard work those volunteers did to keep our Club alive over the last 6/7/8 years?

We all own our Club and all can help in whatever way we can.

Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:52 pm

I understand change happens and as stated it was required!!! but I never thought Id feell like a second class citizen at the club!!!! Yes the club as to attract income but it seem its at the fans expense, owners were offered a loyalty card 5% off purchase's before the cards were issued the bar prices rose by 15 pence which amounted to 5% incress !!!!!
Our next home game Webleys will be closed at halftime, supports who have been to every home game have not been taken in to consideration ,some of the older guys who look forward to a drink and a chat after the game have nowhere to go these supports are not able to go elsewhere due to age, some of them travel from Bristol every home game!!!!! Its great to see money flowing but at what price, my fear regarding both rooms being booked on home games is it could quite conceivably become the norm, if the venue takes off on the wedding front who's to say ££££
Signs won,t win the day!!!!! Supports have always been at the heart of the club ,I think things have change since the refurb the club now as a much bigger source of income and also as to ensure it can cover a much increased wage bill, as long as I can remember the lads who I drink with would always be at the club early on home matches not anymore we are being priced .out
The other night I made a statement regarding playing and non playing issues, these are some of the reasons I made that statement

At the last game of the 15/16 season I was unable to get a coffee after the game,we were driving back to Somerset
so a alcoholic Beveridge was out of the question, think I could get one not on your life, when I approached some of the board members I was given so meny reason as to why hot drinks were not availbe it was unreally,I was told it would be sorted out !!! well we had to wait six weeks into the new season for coffee to be available.(yep six months) I was informed by a board member the academe parents would do it!!!! the board member also stated doing it this way won't cost the club anything

We have been asking about memorabilia when its is going to grace our walls, we been informed Grants had to sort,
????it seems everything is about grants this was months ago it seems when it's something to do with the football side of the club it takes an age, this is why when paid poisons come about in the club which have not been part of the previous setup then people scratch there heads wounding where the funds have come from,

These are my feelings,but I listen to what is being talked about at home match's and there are lots of supports with the same views but perhaps not everyone is as gobby as me, and I do not apologise for that....

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:25 am

douggolfer wrote:If it was only that easy!!!!!! That's a goodnight from me , could even be good by

It's an easy enough procedure. In case anyone's not aware, any owner wishing to become a Board member simply needs two other owners to nominate them for election, and of course sufficient people to vote for them.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 am

douggolfer wrote:If it was only that easy!!!!!! That's a goodnight from me , could even be good by

Hope u keep on contributing Doug, we all have different views & its healthy that these views/opinions are debated on our Forum, also it is healthy that the Club/Board is challenged if you disagree with any decisions they make about the future policy/strategy of the club... it's your democratic right, so carry on contributing, you may not always agree with the response you get but as long as it creates healthy debate and hopefully contributes to change for the better then please carry on.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:40 am

Don't leave us Doug we need supporters like you,this is a free forum and you are entitled to your views others will not always agree with you but so what.There is a different feel about the club these days though.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:27 am

Yes owners can be voted to the board but what impact can be achieved !!!! at present there are two founder members from the original fan owned club who struggle to voice their opinion ,,I feel the executive board and the main board are to set in their ways, I applauded the work securing the grants and the instlation of the pitch but ifeel
there is a lot of nodding of heads in board meetings. I also feel there are more resources spent on non playing activities, twitter is full of this business meeting and that meeting !!!! OK if that is the way the board see the club going no problem, they can also have as many functions as they want but not on match days fans,owners and supports should not be asked to not leave the club after halftime,it is the only time some of them use the facilities!!!! it doesn't matter if this is a one off , it's one to many, match days should not be tampered with!!!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Men 1969 Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:47 am

In regards to the memorabilia, I certainly agree. It does feel as though something is missing but I'm sure it will get sorted. If this is our main issue then I don't think we are doing too bad overall. But yes I would like to see this resolved.

I'm not overly bothered about Webley's closing earlier myself. I can only assume that a private party will put a lot more behind the bar which in turn will help the first team overall. As it's Christmas and that people in the area want to use what have to offer then I don't mind it being a one off personally.

The Twitter account is lively with business content at the moment and it would be great to see more football related content. Again, a little perspective as I'm sure that Gavin has a limited amount of time with his squad where as our BDM is accessing clients on a regular basis. Doesn't those extra sources of income help the first team budget anyway?

And a season ticket went down £45! My nephew was delighted and he can take his son with him who loves being a child season ticket holder.

This Club will never be perfect. Name me a club that is. Every one can have an opinion of course but some perspective and balance would be nice at times.

Mr Men 1969

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 am

Well, the opportunity will be there before long to change the makeup of the Board by a third. In a year's time it can be changed again if people so wish. As I say endlessly, the opportunity is there for anyone who dislikes the way the club is run to take a hand in it themselves, even at Board level.

As for there being a different feel about the club these days, it's a better feel than five years ago when we were faced with a derelict social club, a main building with dodgy infrastructure, substandard floodlights and a pitch with hardly any more grass on it than the present one. And it's certainly a whole lot better feel than 10 years ago when the club's future prospects were hitched to whether an out-of-town property development went ahead.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next