Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Tiverton

+18
Boz1964
MattMartyr87
RJONES90
Risca Martyr
GordonTheGopher
Johnny boy
ourhenry
PeterHarman
Twyn Jasper
Old Sod
Nubs
Merthyr Imp
Dai Bando
rustic
mandrake
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Markymark88
Solihull Martyr
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MERTHYR v Tiverton - Page 2 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Tiverton

Post  Solihull Martyr Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:I remember once seeing Dixie McNeil 'score' a goal ...
Dixie McNeil - think my great, great, great grandfather told me about him...
... or was it Old Sod?!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:
Merthyr Imp wrote:I remember once seeing Dixie McNeil 'score' a goal ...
Dixie McNeil - think my great, great, great grandfather told me about him...
... or was it Old Sod?!!
Wandering probably remembers Dixie Dean!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Wanderin' remembers Billy Meredith!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  ourhenry Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:Interesting to see the various opinions on here and elsewhere about who was man of the match yesterday - Adam Davies, Kris Leek, Ryan Prosser, Jarrad Wright and Guillermo Bauza have all been mentioned. No doubt if Worcester Martyr were here he would say Dan Summerfield.

All this of course emphasises it was a good team performance.

ourhenry

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Tiverton - Page 2 Empty ONE FOR THE FUTURE FOR SURE

Post  ourhenry Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:Interesting to see the various opinions on here and elsewhere about who was man of the match yesterday - Adam Davies, Kris Leek, Ryan Prosser, Jarrad Wright and Guillermo Bauza have all been mentioned. No doubt if Worcester Martyr were here he would say Dan Summerfield.

All this of course emphasises it was a good team performance.
Im very sad to see this childish and un proffesional comment on here,regarding one of our best young prospects in over 20 years to play for the club.Young dan summerfield plays his heart out for the club in every match he plays.The kid had his nose smashed in two places v wimborne and still wanted to continue playing,no local kid here,the boy has come through the ranks at swansea city kidderminster and newport county,he has well schooled ,i can assure you any player who had a bad game,will have his arse kicked by jenkins,so in future PLEASE,dont alienate or have anyone to walk away from this club,we need all our younsters for our bright future.When this wonderful club go up it has been a squad effort and management.UP THE TOWN,CHEERS.Smile

ourhenry

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 am

Looking through this thread I can't find any disparaging remarks about Dan, who I agree, has an excellent season.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny boy Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:21 am

With all due respect for dan summerfield yes he is a good young plyer,but there are a number of young players in the team.corys only 22,Jarod 22 and what about 20 yr old Adam davies who's also come through cardiff city's youth team and went on to play for Llanelli in the welsh prem at 18.adam davies has played all season for merthyr at left back which is a compliment to him that Steve Jenkins thinks he's good enough to play there when you have other players more experienced who can slot into that position.come on guys this has to be one of the best teams we've had in years...

Johnny boy

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 am

Yes we all have our favorite players, but when it comes to the player of the season there is only one candidate. THE WHOLE SQUAD.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Risca Martyr Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:32 am

What Imp was trying to say is that because Dan seems to be Worcester Martyr's favourite player he would have won man of the match no matter what. I think the remark was made totally tongue in cheek and not childish or "having a go".
Some people no here need to get a sense of humour!  Smile
Risca Martyr
Risca Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  RJONES90 Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:48 am

It's mental to think that more than a few people were starting to sweat just a few weeks back. The bounce back has been class and rightly so we're now looking at a promotion! Forza Martyrs!
RJONES90
RJONES90

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:57 am

Risca Martyr wrote:What Imp was trying to say is that because Dan seems to be Worcester Martyr's favourite player he would have won man of the match no matter what. I think the remark was made totally tongue in cheek and not childish or "having a go".

Well, exactly so.

Regarding Dan Summerfield, he's been left out of the side in a couple of recent matches, with first Adam Davies then Ryan Green playing at right back in order to accommodate Jamie Rewbury playing in the middle. But now with Rewbury's injury keeping him out I don't think any of us (including me) has any qualms about Summerfield's restoration to the side, or that he'll continue to do a good job.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny boy Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:16 am

Yes agree merthyr imp dan is a great plyer,I was just saying that dan isn't the only youngster in merthyr and Adam davies is right footed so you would think he'd be plying right back and I'm sure dan wouldn't have a problem plying left back to.

Johnny boy

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:00 pm

I've been trying to think of my top 5 players of the season. I have no idea currently.

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Quite frankly...I love them all....anyone that pulls on that Martyrs shirt is a hero to me.....individual awards in team games are unnecessary and can be divisive....let's remember it is a squad game.too ....what about a fan of the year award instead.?.Bennett, Roving and Matt the Martyr are up there in my opinion...BOZ
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:40 am

Martyn Rogers upset at offside goal as Tiverton Town lose 4-1 to Merthyr Town
Mid Devon Gazette

Martyn Rogers was frustrated with the decision to allow Merthyr Town’s second goal in his Tiverton Town side’s 4-1 defeat away to the table-toppers on Saturday.

With Rogers’ injury-hit side missing numerous players and Merthyr having already scored 97 league goals this season, the game was always going to be hard yet Tivvy were holding their own at 1-1 before Kayne McLaggon deflected Ryan Prossers’ shot into the goal on the stroke of half-time.

This left Rogers upset, with the Ladysmead boss feeling that McLaggon was in an offside position.

“We’re adamant the second goal was miles offside,” he said. “It was right on half-time, we had equalised and we were giving as good as we got. That goal was hard because we went in 2-1 down. We went out and gave away a soft goal again, and let another one in right at the death which was really soft. I have no complaints with the result, but it was a good performance from us.”

The hosts took the lead through Adam Davies’ 25th minute strike but Tiverton hit back when Steve Goss headed in Matt Bye’s free-kick. This left the game finely poised until McLaggon’s controversial goal and Merthyr went on to score two more, through former Exeter City player Guillem Bauza and Kerry Morgan’s 89th minute strike.

Tivvy boss Rogers felt that this gave the scoreline a one-sided look in what was an even game and revealed he was pleased with his side’s performance.

He said: “I don’t think it was a 4-1 game.With the players we had missing, I thought the lads that came in did a good job to be fair. We let three goals in that were really poor from our point of view and they don’t need any help to get a victory. They’re a good side and they were better than us and I’ve got no complaints with the result, but I think 4-1 flattered them. I thought we played some good stuff after we went behind.”

“It was the first time a lot of our lads have played a game on an artificial pitch but I have no complaints, I think the pitch is quite nice and it was a good football match – you could see why they’re 12 points clear at the top.”

Tivvy travelled to South Wales with five players missing through injury and suspension, although Rogers is hoping to see at least two of them return for this Saturday’s home game against Sholing. “James Richards will be back, and hopefully James Mudge will be fit but we’re still missing Owen Howe through suspension,” he said. “When you think we went out without five players who would have played it made a massive difference.”

Wandering

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Tiverton - Page 2 Empty Merthyr vs Tiverton

Post  meurid p Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:35 am

Send the Manager a copy of Peter Harman's photograph No. 18 which clearly shows a defender on the line thereby playing Kayne onside.

meurid p

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffia Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:21 pm

meurid p wrote:Send the Manager a copy of Peter Harman's photograph No. 18 which clearly shows a defender on the line thereby playing Kayne onside.

Exactly =- but you need two defenders between you and the goal line to be onside. Obviously we can't see across the width of the pitch or where KMc was when the ball was kicked, but this picture would add coals to the manager's fire. Perhaps the Assistant saw KMc touch the ball after it crossed the line. That's fine - not offside at that point.
Taffia
Taffia

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Just saw this on the Tivvy forum:

"Just back from deepest darkest wales here are the tivvy ultras thoughts
Friendlyness of home fans 0 not a friendly bunch at all

Food/drink 1 Ive tasted better dishwater than the coffee I got couldnt see a burger bar

Ground 3 did have some covered terracing but told we could'nt stand behind one of the goals

Stewarding 0 didnt see one

Away fans 5 not many there and a bit subdude may becausd of the unfriendlyness of the place

Away team 5 played ok too many indivule mistakes

Travel to/from ground 8 going got caught up with rugby fans on the way and almost run over by #tivvys 12th man got a lift back with #tivvys12th so home erlier than expected

Overall thoughts glad we wont have to that again for a while"

MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Taffia wrote:
meurid p wrote:Send the Manager a copy of Peter Harman's photograph No. 18 which clearly shows a defender on the line thereby playing Kayne onside.

Exactly =- but you need two defenders between you and the goal line to be onside.

But the same photo shows that McLaggon was arguably level with the goalkeeper, so with the defender on the line he wouldn't be offside.

Judging solely by that photo it seems at any rate that it was by no means as definite as Tiverton seem to think.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:40 pm

valeMartyr wrote:Just saw this on the Tivvy forum:

Food/drink 1 Ive tasted better dishwater than the coffee I got couldnt see a burger bar

Ground 3 did have some covered terracing but told we could'nt stand behind one of the goals

Away fans 5 not many there and a bit subdude may becausd of the unfriendlyness of the place

Travel to/from ground 8 going got caught up with rugby fans on the way and almost run over by #tivvys 12th man got a lift back with #tivvys12th so home erlier than expected

I( tried to register for TivvyNet to refute some of the comments but it wouldn't let me with a Gmail Email address.  Of the points made only the one regarding the lack of burgers seems to be valid.  I cannot comment on the coffee as I don't drink the vile stuff and I fail to see how he found us unfriendly - maybe they aren't used to large crowds at their away games!  In some of the photos taken by their photographer there are snaps of people in yellow fluorescent jackets. Maybe the poster didn't realise that such jackets are usually worn by stewards.

I was also going the mark the person who posted 1 out of 10 for spelling and grammar as well as factual inaccuracies.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:58 pm

He didn't speak to you during the game did he..?!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Old Sod wrote:
valeMartyr wrote:Just saw this on the Tivvy forum:

Of the points made only the one regarding the lack of burgers seems to be valid. 

Although it ignores the fact that sausages, pies, pasties, sausage rolls and chips are available. (Or at least they were the last time I checked)
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:He didn't speak to you during the game did he..?!!
Aye, I told him to p*** off you stupid Devonian Twit.  How he thought we were unfriendly. I'll never know.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Indeed. One of your warmer greetings!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:25 am

Taffia wrote:

Exactly =- but you need two defenders between you and the goal line to be onside. Obviously we can't see across the width of the pitch or where KMc was when the ball was kicked, but this picture would add coals to the manager's fire. Perhaps the Assistant saw KMc touch the ball after it crossed the line. That's fine - not offside at that point.
This earlier picture in the sequence doesn't prove the offside decision either way but Kayne's movement would have been towards the goal and the 'keeper looks as though he's also moving towards Prosser, so when the ball was actually played Kayne may well have been on-side! Either way it's marginal and would have been a difficult decision for the officials to make.

MERTHYR v Tiverton - Page 2 Kayne%2520McLaggon%2520goal%2520Tiverton%2520Mar%252015

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next