Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Tiverton

+18
Boz1964
MattMartyr87
RJONES90
Risca Martyr
GordonTheGopher
Johnny boy
ourhenry
PeterHarman
Twyn Jasper
Old Sod
Nubs
Merthyr Imp
Dai Bando
rustic
mandrake
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Markymark88
Solihull Martyr
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MERTHYR v Tiverton Empty MERTHYR v Tiverton

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:45 am

Team: Bradley, Summerfield, Davies, Patten, Wright, Green, Prosser, Leek, McLaggon, Bauza, Traylor, Subs: Evans, Morgan, Jenkins.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Tiverton Empty Re: MERTHYR v Tiverton

Post  Markymark88 Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:43 am

Both big games 1-1 at present.
Markymark88
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

Post  Markymark88 Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:54 am

Prosser puts Merthyr 2-1 up on the stroke of half time.
Markymark88
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:59 am

2-1 up half time
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:22 am

3-1 Bauza and that's the 100th goal
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:23 am

100 goals - magnificent achievement! And 680+ there to see it, despite international day. Well done to Wales on a great win!

Last edited by Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:34 am

get in there Bauza
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  mandrake Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:48 am

Evesham 2-1 up
mandrake
mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:52 am

4-1 Morgan at the death
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:53 am

get in there bois bach
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:00 am

Won 4-1 job done.. 13pts clear 7 games to go
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:26 am

What game will we be promoted.

It will happen.

But whats your guesses lads??
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:56 am

M.O.M today for me Prosser he lead the line well,but well played everyone.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Dai Bando Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Nine points needed from our last seven games after todays games to win the league!!!!!
Dai Bando
Dai Bando

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Today's team:

Bradley;
Summerfield,Green,Wright,Davies;
Patten;
Traylor,Leek,Bauza,McLaggon;
Prosser

Subs:
Jenkins for McLaggon after about 76 minutes
Morgan for Traylor after about 82 minutes
Evans for Bauza after about 87 minutes

With Kris Leek available it was an unchanged team, but with only three subs as no under-19 players were included.

The first effort on goal came after about 3 minutes and was from Tiverton when a shot from the right of the area was held fairly comfortable by Tom Bradley close to the top corner. About a minute after that Jarrad Wright went on a run from inside his own half but finished with a left-foot shot that went wide of the post.

We didn't really create anything clear cut until about 18 minutes, when the Tiverton keeper did well to tip the ball over the bar following a bit of a scramble after a corner.

We took the lead after about 24 minutes when a long ball down the left by Jarrad Wright found Adam Davies well forward. He beat two men in a persistent run along the goal line and put the ball into the net past the keeper from a very narrow angle for his first goal for Merthyr.

We were looking good at that stage, coming close on two occasions with balls in from the right - one following very good work by Ryan Prosser - but both times the shots at goal went just past the post.

It was against the run of play when Tiverton equalised. A long free kick came into the box and was headed straight in by defender Steve Goss.

But we took the lead again at a good time, about a minute before the break. It was a similar situation to Tiverton's goal, with a long free kick going into the their area towards the far post. From the other end I couldn't see clearly what happened, but appeared that when the ball dropped Ryan Prosser turned it across goal and it may have been going in before Kayne McLaggon got a touch to make sure. Tiverton appealed for offside against him, and one of their players was booked for continuing to argue after the whistle had gone for half time.

The lead was deserved at half time, and 2-1 maybe flattered Tiverton.

There was little threat from Tiverton at the start of the second half, and we got a two-goal cushion after about 57 minutes with the 100th league goal of the season. It was made by Ryan Prosser with a great piece of work to beat two defenders out on the right. He took the ball into the box close to the line and put it across for Guillermo Bauza at the far post to put a well-placed shot inside the post from 10 yards.

Corey Jenkins replaced Kayne McLaggon on the left after about 76 minutes to give the Tiverton defence a bit of a chasing

Guillermo Bauza nearly got another goal after about 82 minutes when he won the ball about 25 yards out to create a chance for himself, but blasted a shot almost straight at the keeper when he might have done better, although even so the ball went only just wide of the post.

Kerry Morgan came on for Ian Traylor about 8 minutes from the end, and about a minute later, Kris Leek almost swerved a ground shot inside the post from 20 yards, but it went inches wide.

With about 3 minutes to go Richard Evans was given a brief run out in place of Bauza, and from the throw-in when the substitution was made Tiverton made a mess of things to leave themselves wide open. Kris Leek taking advantage to play in Kerry Morgan to put the ball over the keeper from 15 yards as Tiverton finished a well-beaten side.

A very comfortable win. Tiverton started the match with a lone striker, but he was being well supported and they did carry a little bit of a threat up front. However, we coped well with anything they could do, with Jarrad Wright especially prominent. So it was disappointing when they did score, and yet once again it was from a high ball into the box from a dead ball situation. It wasn't quite a free header, but we could have done with more of a challenge on the player.

But Tiverton were hardly in the game in the second half, and I can only remember Tom Bradley having one save to make, After the third goal went in they were more or less demoralised, and we could have had more goals than we did, perhaps not being clinical enough. We seemed to be wither too selfish in front of goal (e.g. Traylor on one occasion) or not selfish enough (e.g. Jenkins) as players tried to set team mates up. But Kerry Morgan's goal put the icing on the cake.

Difficult to choose a man of the match. Jarrad Wright did well, and so did Kyle Patten in a defensive midfield role. Possibly Ryan Prosser, who was a real handful for the Tiverton defence, on the ground as well as in the air, and created the crucial third goal. But overall I'd say Kris Leek just shaded it, especially in the second half when he ran the midfield, driving forward in typical style. Quite apart from the circumstances of the goal itself, it was good to see Adam Davies get his first for the club. Guillermo Bauza, I thought, was a little disappointing at times, but he took the 100th goal well, and was unlucky not to get another with a great piece of work to give himself the opportunity.

The amazing thing to me was the attendance given as 681. Where were they all? We usually complain that the official figure is too low - it seemed the other way around to me today!

But if it really was 681 it was a great turnout in the circumstances (of the stupid rugby being on) and those present were well entertained.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:09 pm

SwanseaJack wrote:What game will we be promoted.

It will happen.

But whats your guesses lads??
I did originally say Bishops Cleeve (back in November), but I think it'll be a point against Mangotsfield that'll secure us the title, as I can see Taunton failing to win at Larkhall in a fortnight's time. (We can but hope)!

After today's results, we're guaranteed at least a play-off spot, and can finish no lower than 10th in the League. (Useless info, I know, as we're are gonna be CHAMPIONS)!! Very Happy
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Don't you mean 5th?!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:Don't you mean 5th?!
Quite correct Sol. Adrenaline's gone after an early start in work and then today's game.
Too many errors.
Brain in melt-down.
Time for bed.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:51 pm

You do a great job updating table and fixtures before the SL Website. #haveabeer!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:52 pm

It was an easy win today against a below strength and par Tivvy side.  We scored 4 and could have scored more but we were a bit profligate in front of goal and we again conceded a goal from a set piece.  However when you've scored over 100 goals in 35 games and only conceded 31 that does sound a bit picky but if I had the time and inclination it would be interesting to see how many of the 31 were from corners/free kicks.

I thought Prosser had a superb game today and I'm amazed that McLaggon had the nerve to claim our second goal as it was virtually over the line when he touched it.  He also did really well for Bauza's goal beating a couple of Tivvy defenders on the touchline before sending in the cross which eventually fell to the Spaniard who slotted it home well.  Prosser led the line really well, beating the Tivvy centre half's regularly in the air and held the ball up well, bringing others into play and really did deserve a goal.  The run he has had in the team over the last few weeks has no doubt helped his overall play and his confidence. 

I'm sure the Tivvy manager was tearing his hair out at Adam's goal as he had no right to beat the defenders on the byline but he got through with sheer persistence and showed great composure in putting it across the keeper and into the net at the far post.  Kerry's goal at the end was the icing on the cake and put a more realistic slant on the scoreline.

In truth we could have had 7 or 8 but 4 will do and it's now onwards and upwards to the title!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:02 am

If anyone was being picky and looking very hard for a weakness in our game, I would say it is set pieces, I wonder how many of the few goals scored against us were from set pieces with the high ball in to the box?

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:55 am

Old Sod wrote:
I'm amazed that McLaggon had the nerve to claim our second goal

That's what top goalscorers do.

I remember once seeing Dixie McNeil 'score' a goal which is credited to him in the record books despite him not actually touching the ball.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Tiverton Empty MERTHYR vs Tiverton

Post  PeterHarman Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:18 am

I've just uploaded some images from yesterday's game onto the club website.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 am

Interesting to see the various opinions on here and elsewhere about who was man of the match yesterday - Adam Davies, Kris Leek, Ryan Prosser, Jarrad Wright and Guillermo Bauza have all been mentioned. No doubt if Worcester Martyr were here he would say Dan Summerfield.

All this of course emphasises it was a good team performance.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:26 am

There are also two lots of photos from Tiverton:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52498174@N08/sets/72157651369617985/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90186291@N04/sets/72157650956829778/
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down