Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squad next season!

+15
Dai Bando
Benji
osama
Nubs
Wandering
scamp
timshorts
bluebird
cliffyboy
Merthyr Imp
rustic
Cyfarthfa
Sickasaparrot
Old Sod
MartyrMann
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Squad next season! Empty Squad next season!

Post  MartyrMann Sat May 24, 2014 2:03 pm

With the new appointments yesterday, is there any news on players re-signing for the forthcoming campaign
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Squad next season! Empty Re: Squad next season!

Post  Old Sod Sun May 25, 2014 3:27 am

Players can't sign and be registered until 1 June at the earliest.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sickasaparrot Sun May 25, 2014 8:58 am

Hopefully the new management will have the foresight to look at some of the youngsters that were released during pre-season last year as well as established players
Sickasaparrot
Sickasaparrot

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 pm

Old Sod wrote:Players can't sign and be registered until 1 June at the earliest.

Just looked at Port Talbot Town Website and they have confirmed at least 5 signings for next season and not waited until 1 June to announce these.

Would be nice for committed supporters if we could do something similar to avoid speculation regarding the current squad and to perhaps announce that there are some potential new signings in the pipeline. this would give everyone a lift and follow on from the announcement of the New Management Team.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Mon May 26, 2014 12:25 pm

cf482nt wrote:
Old Sod wrote:Players can't sign and be registered until 1 June at the earliest.

Just looked at Port Talbot Town Website and they have confirmed at least 5 signings for next season and not waited until 1 June to announce these.

Would be nice for committed supporters if we could do something similar to avoid speculation regarding the current squad and to perhaps announce that there are some potential new signings in the pipeline. this would give everyone a lift and follow on from the announcement of the New Management Team.

The LoW may have different rules to the Southern League. I'm sure things are going on behind the scenes of which none of us know about. It all adds to the excitement doesn't it!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Tue May 27, 2014 4:59 am

Patience now gentlemen.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu May 29, 2014 1:54 pm

A bit of rumour/speculation from someone on Cinderford Town's forum:

'I know Yate have put offers to 3 of our players and Merthyr [have] put in for one of them too.'

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Fri May 30, 2014 6:32 am

Time for a complete overhaul of our squad from last season I think, apart from Gavin & Steve who are now part of our Man Team I would only keep the following:

Idzi
Colborne
Summerfield
Leek
Newman
Prosser
Traylor
Maclaggon

New era has began and time for a new fresher squad to move us forward to the next chapter:

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited by cf482nt on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri May 30, 2014 6:41 am

To that list I'd add Jamie Rewbury, Kerry Morgan and Matthew Harris. Hopefully, also Jarrad Wright if we're able to get him back again.

If forced to choose between the two I'd prefer Matthew Harris to Ryan Newman, and Rewbury over Colborne.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Fri May 30, 2014 7:25 am

Agree 100% Imp Harris & Rewbury would be the first two names on the team sheet for me.

Strong rumour Newman will be leaving AND another rumour 2 of that list won't be with us next season !!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Squad next season! Empty SQUAD NEXT SEASON

Post  bluebird Fri May 30, 2014 7:29 am

KEDDLE ????

bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Fri May 30, 2014 7:33 am

Yes good shout, hope he will be fit for the forthcoming season.

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri May 30, 2014 8:09 am

To be honest, ideally I don't think we need too many changes to the squad - a few, yes, but not many. It was in defence where we were lacking a bit at times last season, and my own pet theory is that we could do with a defensive midfielder in the side to do a job like Gareth Phillips did a few years ago.

You also have to ask how realistic it is that we could get many players better than those we already have.

I used the word 'ideally' above because we don't know yet what thoughts the new manager will have on alterations needed to the squad and what he has in mind for next season.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Fri May 30, 2014 8:26 am

[quote="Merthyr Imp"]To that list I'd add Jamie Rewbury, Kerry Morgan and Matthew Harris. Hopefully, also Jarrad Wright if we're able to get him back again.

If forced to choose between the two I'd prefer Matthew Harris to Ryan Newman, and Rewbury over Colborne.

Note and respect  your comments Merthyr Imp but would comment as follows:

Kerry Morgan and Mathew Harris I would disagree, Jamie Rewbury I would agree and Jarrad Wright I would agree if he is available.

Agree that we need a quality defensive midfield player, someone who can organise players especially away from home, we have not had a player who can organise, break up and drive/make players put in a shift since Dean Clarke finished (and what stick he took at times from supporters).  

No time for sentiment now, football is a ruthless game, if we can find better players with the correct attitude then we should do so.

Onwards and upwards

Last edited by cf482nt on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:49 am

Old Sod wrote:
cf482nt wrote:

The LoW may have different rules to the Southern League.  I'm sure things are going on behind the scenes of which none of us know about.  It all adds to the excitement doesn't it!

Well there's nothing to stop a player from signing a contract, provided that they either get transfer clearance which is a bit pointless, or sign a contract on the basis that they will register for the new club after the relevant date for registration. After all, a player can sign a 3-year contract.

But most "signings" are actually just players signing the appropriate league registration forms - which can't get registered untuil the magic date has come and gone - not players signing a contract.

If you look at the papers in Germany and the Netherlands, players were signing contracts for next year well before the transfer window ended. Breda, say, have already signed about 3 players and a coach to future contracts (next season and beyond) - but they won't be able to register the contracts until the transfer window opens.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:21 am

I believe we don't have, nor have had in recent times, any players on contracts. Others will know more about it than me.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I would think that the players who are sponsored might be on some sought of contract

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:23 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:I believe we don't have, nor have had in recent times, any players on contracts. Others will know more about it than me.

Both PORT TALBOT & CARMARTHEN have announced on their Websites the players they have signed to complete their squads for the 2014-15 season, they also state that in addition to the new recruits they have re-signed the players from last seasons squad they wish to retain, therefore most if not all of these players must have been Non-Contract. Carmarthen have also announced that 1 of their new signings is a Central Midfielder from CIRENCESTER!.

I also saw on the Cinderford Forum that Merthyr have been chasing 1 of their players!

Therefore in conclusion would only add that it would be nice to hear something from MT, I know the delays add to the excitement but!!!!!

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 am

cf482nt wrote:Therefore in conclusion would only add that it would be nice to hear something from MT, I know the delays add to the excitement but!!!!!
Players, Managers and coaching staff use the early weeks of the close season to take a well deserved break and go on their annual holidays.

I'm sure that SJ has spoken to SW and GW about the plans for next season and identified where area's of the team need to be strengthened.

I would expect that SW in particular has spoken to the current players to establish who will be staying at PP next season.

When there is anything to tell the fans we will know soon enough but don't expect to be told any speculation about who may be leaving or who may be arriving, as most clubs like to keep their cards close to their chest until any signings are finalised.

Some of the WPL clubs play the early rounds of the European qualifying games in early July so their pre-season starts in early June, that's why they are able to announce the players that they have signed.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:00 am

It did say in last week's Merthyr Express that Steve Jenkins had gone on a previously arranged two weeks holiday. I'm sure no-one would begrudge anyone having a couple of weeks away on a summer holiday - as Wandering says, football people have to take their holidays some time and this is the best time to do it. So with the manager away there might not be much happening
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Last season Sheppy announced the squad for 2013-14 season on 9 August and even after that a few players were added.

As this coming season starts on the 9 August then the 2014-15 squad will be announced before then and I suggest that until the players report back for training towards the end of this month we'll probably have no idea who we'll have - although no doubt the Steve's & Gavin do and I don't blame them for keeping things close to their chests at the moment.

It'll make our first pre season friendly one to watch to satisfy our natural curiosity!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Apparently the new manager met the players tonight (Wed 4 June)

Interesting to know what players!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:25 am

Pure guesswork, but I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Jenkins offers at least one player from Monmouth Town the chance to show if he could play at this level.

Also think that he may like to see in pre-season whether any of the Hereford United Youth team players, who he coached and lost in a replay to Manchester City in the FA Youth Cup last season, could be good enough to be part of the squad for next season if things aren't sorted out at Edgar Street.

We'll just have to wait and see what develops.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Wandering wrote:Pure guesswork, but I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Jenkins offers at least one player from Monmouth Town the chance to show if he could play at this level.
Good call. Was thinking the same thing last night.
Looking at the Monmouth website, four players stand out:-
Jacob Guy, Central Defender, Ex Newport & Cardiff.
Jack Alderdice, Central Midfield, Current Monmouth captain.
Dan MacDonald, Forward, Ex Aston Villa & England Under 18. 44 goals last season.
Nick Harrhy, Striker, Ex Newport & Hereford.

Not forgetting Frank Lampard, Ex West Ham, Swansea & Chelsea.
Maybe Gav can entice him to The Cigg-E, both being Ex West Ham.Squad next season! Smiley-laughing024
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  osama Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:28 am

Bit of player movement

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Bishop-s-Cleeve-lose-players-Cinderford-Town/story-21194146-detail/story.html

osama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next