Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v North Leigh

+11
Old Sod
PeterHarman
CF34martyr
Benji
Markymark88
Dial M For Merthyr Zine
Nubs
Merthyr Imp
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
stevie g
Solihull Martyr
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MERTHYR v North Leigh Empty MERTHYR v North Leigh

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 am

Updates here!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v North Leigh Empty Re: MERTHYR v North Leigh

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:58 am

Team: Cutlan Marcus Summerfield Willo Colborne Harris Gavin Williams leek Charles Morgan Traylor. Subs Prosser Morris Newman Colborne McLaggon

Colborne playing and on the bench!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:39 am

Losing 2-0 they only had 2 shots as well! Our defense is shocking and Cutlan having a mare. G Williams making a good impression.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:41 am

1-2 Kerry Morgan header
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 am

2-2 Kerry Morgan again!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 am

H/t 2-2
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:23 am

Winning 3-2 Morgan penalty makes his hattrick!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:32 am

Sub: Morgan off Mclaggon on
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:40 am

Sub: Prosser on for Leek
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 am

Sub: Newman on for Charles
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 am

F/t 3-2! Get in!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v North Leigh Empty merthyr v north fleet

Post  stevie g Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:38 am

where the hell did the ref get ten minutes extra time from

stevie g

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:41 am

get in there
a hattrick from my star man to save the day  Very Happy 
glad we won that one, seeing as all other games in the league were called off.
just got to hope Cirencester drop points now
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:53 am

stevie g wrote:where the hell did the ref get ten minutes extra time from

Six minutes according to my watch. Still don't know where he got it from though.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:57 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
stevie g wrote:where the hell did the ref get ten minutes extra time from

Six minutes according to my watch. Still don't know where he got it from though.

I made it five minutes. But who cares, we won cheers farao 
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:39 am

Today's team:

Cutlan;
M.Griffiths,S.Williams,Colborne,Summerfield;
Leek,Harris,G.Williams;
Traylor,Charles,Morgan;

Subs:
McLaggon for Morgan after about 71 minutes
Prosser for Leek after about 78 minutes
Newman for Charles after about 82 minutes
Cornwall
Morris

Well, there were changes made in defence, with Steve Williams moved into the middle and Andrew Thomas left out. Kris Leek was fit to return in midfield, with Gavin Williams making his debut.

It was Gavin Williams who had our first real chance after about 5 minutes when North Leigh gave the ball away, but from the edge of the area he put his shot well over the bar. About 3 minutes later we had a shot cleared off the line during a spell of pressure when the ball was played in from the right. But after we were looking the more likely to score it was North Leigh who took the lead, when a through ball saw a player beat the offside to hammer the ball past Giles Cutlan from the left of the area.

The North Leigh keeper made a fine save from a header by Matthew Harris from a corner taken by Gavin Williams. That led to two more corners, from the last of them Marcus Griffiths met the ball at the near post for a header which went across goal and past the far post.

But after about 27 minutes it was yet another goalkeeping error which gave North Leigh their second goal. The ball came into the area from the right, and although it seemed routine for Cutlan to claim it about 10 yards out he left it alone and an attacker had the easy task of putting it into the net.

We pulled a goal back before too long though, after about 33 minutes when Ryan Charles put in such a good cross from the right that one the smallest, if not THE smallest, men on the pitch in Kerry Morgan was able to head it into the net. A couple of minutes later Gavin Williams put in a good shot from 20 yards, but it was straight at the keeper.

We got a deserved equaliser after about 39 minutes after the keeper had scrambled a shot from Ian Traylor around the post. From the corner, which was played short, Kerry Morgan took the ball just inside the area on the left and curled a fine shot into the far top corner of the goal.

We were well worth the two goals at half time, and it maybe should have been more, as North Leigh had only scored two themselves due to our failings, with just about all their other goal attempts being off target.

We continued to look the better side after half time, and after about 61 minutes a penalty was awarded after Steve Williams was pushed trying to get to a cross from Ian Traylor. Kerry Morgan sent the keeper the wrong way for his first hat-trick for the club to give us a deserved lead.

Kayne McLaggon replaced Kerry Morgan with about 20 minutes of normal time to go after a job well done. About 7 minutes later he put Ian Traylor through for what should have been the 4th goal, but his chip went over the keeper and also wide of the post..

Ryan Prosser replaced Kris Leek, who had been returning from injury, and we then played 4-4-2, with Ryan Charles wide on the right and Ian Traylor on the left.

A notable(?) substitution made by North Leigh was to bring on Theo Walcott's cousin.

We then brought on Ryan Newman to play wide on the left, with Ryan Charles going off.

After about 87 minutes Giles Cutlan redeemed his earlier error with a fine double save, first pushing the ball up in the air from a close-range header, then making a point blank save from the follow-up after the ball dropped.

About a minute from what we all thought was the end of the game there was a remarkable piece of work by Kayne McLaggon twisting and turning on the edge of the North Leigh six-yard area and just unable to get in a shot but eventually winning a corner, from which a glancing header from Steve Williams was held under the crossbar by the keeper.

Although I don't think there'd been any injuries in the second half the referee somehow found at least 6 minutes of injury time, and it was almost making you think he was going to continue playing until North Leigh scored. But we held out in what was North Leigh's only real spell of pressure in the whole game.

A deserved win over a fairly average side which could have been by a bigger margin. It wasn't helped by giving the opposition the second goal, but after that incident I don't think Giles Cutlan put a foot wrong, making a couple of competent saves to shots in the second half, and dealing well with crosses. And his double save in the end made up for his error in the first half.

Kerry Morgan obviously man of the match. A steady debut by Gavin Williams, who I think took all the corners, some of them well placed. He had a few shots at goal, but all except one off target. He certainly looked comfortable on the ball, and rarely wasted possession. I did wonder beforehand if he would play the holding midfield role, but he doesn't look that sort of player. Ryan Charles again worked hard without really looking like scoring.

Surprisingly good attendance of 435 - I can't work out why there should have been more there than on Boxing Day! (Unless it was the 'Williams factor').
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:A notable(?) substitution made by North Leigh was to bring on Theo Walcott's cousin.
Presume he wasn't taken off on a stretcher with two & three fingers up respectively...?!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Summerfield had a great game too at left back.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Markymark88 Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:
Surprisingly good attendance of 435 - I can't work out why there should have been more there than on Boxing Day! (Unless it was the 'Williams factor').

Amateur players turned up because their games were called off, also hardly any Cardiff fans bothered with their game.
Markymark88
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v North Leigh Empty taken off the Cardiff City Board.

Post  Benji Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Went up to Merthyr this afternoon and saw a cracker.

Gavin Williams debut for Merthyr and he was playing a different game from everyone else . Talk about time on the ball. He was superb.

Merthyr were easily the better team, so to find themselves two down in twenty minutes was a real head scratcher. by half time it was 2 all, and a penalty in the second half saw them win 3-2

I think the Merthyr number 10 Ceri Thomas scored a hat trick. Someone in the crowd when it was 0-2 gave him some real stick about making a run and the lad told him to fook off. His equalizer which was a superb strike from 25 yards was followed by a 60 yard run to ask his critic in the crowd was that good enough?Brilliant.

Fantastic value for a fiver if you showed your city season ticket. Still great value at 9 quid at full price.

And finally I must mention the Merthyr goalie. Fair play he was shite. Their keeper made a couple of real top quality saves, while the Merthyr keeper who was a big lad was truly awful. He was Pontypridd League division 2 standard at best.. I wonder what Gavin Williams thought of him.
Benji
Benji

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v North Leigh Empty Just a few observations.

Post  CF34martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Benji wrote:Went up to Merthyr this afternoon and saw a cracker.

Gavin Williams debut for Merthyr and he was playing a different game from everyone else . Talk about time on the ball. He was superb.

Merthyr were easily the better team, so to find themselves two down in twenty minutes was a real head scratcher. by half time it was 2 all, and a penalty in the second half saw them win 3-2

I think the Merthyr number 10 Ceri Thomas scored a hat trick. Someone in the crowd when it was 0-2 gave him some real stick about making a run and the lad told him to fook off. His equalizer which was a superb strike from 25 yards was followed by a 60 yard run to ask his critic in the crowd was that good enough?Brilliant.

Fantastic value for a fiver if you showed your city season ticket. Still great value at 9 quid at full price.

And finally I must mention the Merthyr goalie. Fair play he was shite. Their keeper made a couple of real top quality saves, while the Merthyr keeper who was a big lad was truly awful. He was Pontypridd League division 2 standard at best.. I wonder what Gavin Williams thought of him.

Sadly,there's too may people voicing inflamatory opinions on this forum, who do not regularly attend any games,home or away.............This is one such post.
Just for the record:
Our hat trick scoring  N0 10 on the day, and certain MOTM.his correct surname is Morgan, not Thomas.
As for the truly awful "big lad " Fish & Chip League 2nd Division keeper,he played all of last season,and got us to the playoff finals,hardly shite in any mans terms,and a pretty unfair assessment given his performance in the second half.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:58 pm

CF34martyr wrote:
Benji wrote:Went up to Merthyr this afternoon and saw a cracker.

Sadly,there's too may people voicing inflamatory opinions on this forum, who do not regularly attend any games,home or away.............This is one such post.
Just for the record:
Our hat trick scoring  N0 10 on the day, and certain MOTM.his correct surname is Morgan, not Thomas.
As for the truly awful "big lad " Fish & Chip League 2nd Division keeper,he played all of last season,and got us to the playoff finals,hardly shite in any mans terms,and a pretty unfair assessment given his performance in the second half.

Just to clarify - I think what Benji has posted there is copied from what someone wrote on a Cardiff City message board. So it's not really something that was submitted to THIS Forum, and by definition not from a regular Merthyr supporter. But I don't know where they got 'Ceri Thomas' from, and as I said in my report, I also don't think 'the Merthyr keeper who was a big lad' put a foot wrong after the second North Leigh goal.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Fair enough,but if you are posting something from another site's message board,then it would be prudent to clarify that,and not make it appear that it is your personal opinions that you are airing.

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:34 am

If you look at the headline on Benji's post, he's written "Taken off the Cardiff City Board".
Not very clear I must admit, but it does infer that he's taken it from CCFC's forum. farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v North Leigh Empty MERTHYR vs North Leigh

Post  PeterHarman Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:30 am

Just posted a few photos from the game on club web site

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down