Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

old fan, new fans

+4
CF48 MARTYR
Benji
Tim Drummond
WSCEvans
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

old fan, new fans Empty old fan, new fans

Post  WSCEvans Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Last edited by europeanmartyr on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

old fan, new fans Empty Re: old fan, new fans

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm

It makes sense. Merthyr Town FC are run by the fans and for the fans. Wealthy foreigners who are behind some of the top football clubs are not actually interested in the sport. There are so many things behind the facade but too many supporters fall for it.
Now is the time to support Merthyr (we have only March and April left to the season) and cheer them on to a third successive promotion.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Last edited by europeanmartyr on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Benji Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm

I read both Cardiff forums regularly, seems theres quite a few people in a similar position to you Dic Penderyn. Saturday 9th of March vs top of the league Hungerford ill be bringing a newby to Penydarren Park incidentally (not a city fan, but a football fan thats recently moved from Ebbw Vale to Merthyr).
Benji
Benji

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Good scheme, Benji!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Benji Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Idea
Benji
Benji

Back to top Go down

Post  CF48 MARTYR Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:37 am

Good stuff lads, more the better, and with the brand of football we strive to play at Merthyr the £8 is solid investement. ;-)

That day Cardiff v Barnsley is off too due to Barnsleys involvement in the FA Cup, so there will be another £5 entry promotion for (CCFC season ticket holders) in an attempt to bolster the attendance.

Dont forget too that after the Hungerford game the will be a race night held in the Candac from 6pm (to raise funds for the club, see the sticky post above)

Looking forward to it already...

UP THE TOWN

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 am

Hungerford are top of the league so it promises to be a top clash. And this Saturday Hungerford play Poole, who are second! The promotion race is hotting up even if the weather isn't!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:01 am

Last edited by europeanmartyr on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 am

Good stuff!! I went to see a Welsh League game at Porth last October. I believe in getting around to see some other teams if I don't travel away with Merthyr. And Merthyr, being the only Welsh club in the Southern League, can offer some attractive fixtures against some experienced players and it costs much less than watching League football and without the hassle.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 am

Tim Drummond wrote:Good stuff!! I went to see a Welsh League game at Porth last October. I believe in getting around to see some other teams if I don't travel away with Merthyr. And Merthyr, being the only Welsh club in the Southern League, can offer some attractive fixtures against some experienced players and it costs much less than watching League football and without the hassle.

Yes thats right. I have had a full refund from ccfc now for next year. Vincent Tan has destroyed the fanbase and club imo. A lot of older lads like myself have walked away and the new fans will be lapping up the current situation. So look forward to the Hungerford game and 3 mates all ex Cardiff will be in attendance meeting at taffs well and getting the train up. Do they still serve bovril on the main terrace Very Happy
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  CF48 MARTYR Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:27 am

Yes Bovril is still sold, however may I suggest a Coors in the Candac would provide more than adiquite refreshment ha ha ....

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 am

CF48 MARTYR wrote:Yes Bovril is still sold, however may I suggest a Coors in the Candac would provide more than adiquite refreshment ha ha ....

lol your right there several in fact Very Happy
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:58 am

Cor! He can't be boverred about Bovril..

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

old fan, new fans Empty Old fans new fans

Post  Boz1964 Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Anyone who is named after a real Merthyr martyr is welcome at the park.

The standard of football is not what you are used to but jumpers for goalposts and goal scrambles x- rated tackles...players trying to trap oblong footballs on pitches bumpier than the late Pete postlethwaite's face.....thats real football valleys style...welcome bluebirds one and all....no prawn sandwiches at penydarren park or Malaysian food either....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Boz1964 wrote:Anyone who is named after a real Merthyr martyr is welcome at the park.

The standard of football is not what you are used to but jumpers for goalposts and goal scrambles x- rated tackles...players trying to trap oblong footballs on pitches bumpier than the late Pete postlethwaite's face.....thats real football valleys style...welcome bluebirds one and all....no prawn sandwiches at penydarren park or Malaysian food either....boz

Thanks Boz ! Well i thought if im gonna have a username lets start with the top !!!! As I mentioned earlier have visited Merthyr on and off throughout the 90's and 00's just looking now to make a more concerted effort and get back to basics. best regards
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Nice to see someone with a sense of history...humour and pride in welsh football...should fit in well at penydarren park....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  mcfry Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:08 pm

DicPenderyn wrote:I would like to say hello to forum members, I live in Blackwood but watched Martyrs on and off since late 1980's even done the odd away trip !! lol, but primarily been a bluebird. However despite the premiership on the horizon and the rebrand nonsense the scarfgate incident has pushed me over the edge. Im going back to basics and look forward to following the Martyrs. Best regards

i am in the exact same position as you mate. I hate the way things have gone down the city recently. I dont know if anybody can comment on this but do you think the merthyr gates have or will increase in relation to the events at Cardiff? suerly clubs like Merthyr are goin to gain with more and more fans walking away from city. anyway COYM Very Happy

mcfry

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm

WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 am

A large number of Cardiff City fans come from The Valleys and when Merthyr Tydfil were in the then Conference, we were getting good gates because City were at a low ebb in the English pyramid.And Merthyr won over a lot of former Cardiff supporters.
Merthyr could do with a gates boost to pep up the P Park atmosphere in the run-up for the promotion and play-offs battle.
Football at the top level is a dubious business these days. The foreign owners don't have any interest in football. Ownership is all a part of their various dealings.
And Cardiff City FC are £83.1m in debt, I have read. Under the board, the now Merthyr Town keep in the black through the efforts of all the fans rather than rely on one man holding the purse-strings who may be here today and gone tomorrow!
Merthyr are the only Welsh club in the Southern League and already draw support from a wide area, even into England.Bigger gates help in the overall plan for the club.
The Hungerford clash will be eagerly awaited!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:29 am

Tim Drummond wrote:A large number of Cardiff City fans come from The Valleys and when Merthyr Tydfil were in the then Conference, we were getting good gates because City were at a low ebb in the English pyramid.And Merthyr won over a lot of former Cardiff supporters.
Merthyr could do with a gates boost to pep up the P Park atmosphere in the run-up for the promotion and play-offs battle.
Football at the top level is a dubious business these days. The foreign owners don't have any interest in football. Ownership is all a part of their various dealings.
And Cardiff City FC are £83.1m in debt, I have read. Under the board, the now Merthyr Town keep in the black through the efforts of all the fans rather than rely on one man holding the purse-strings who may be here today and gone tomorrow!
Merthyr are the only Welsh club in the Southern League and already draw support from a wide area, even into England.Bigger gates help in the overall plan for the club.
The Hungerford clash will be eagerly awaited!

Yes fully agree with your comments there Tim, Well thats right if CCFC dont get promoted they will be in a mess even further as they still have to pay the debt to langstone off. In regards to Merthyr I understand since the reform its now a fan based club. If I wanted to invested money into the club <dont fall off your chair im not abromivich Very Happy > but any amount irrespective of the investment would I be able to do that and how would i do it. many thanks
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Dic penderyn....you contributing to the club by supporting them and spreading the gospel of st shephard and co....gate money and programme sales are enough...although there are other ways to help and not just fiscally....they are stated in the programme...on the abramovitch issue...when we were broke and in real doo doo a couple of years ago....and I mean no money for floodlighting electric...collections were made on the bob bank to keep us afloat...my son wrote to the Chelsea owner and he wrote back via his secretary and whilst he didn't give any donation he stated that if all fans were as devoted to the club as he was then the club would survive....he was correct...because one voice became many and that turned into the trust board....without them we wouldn't have a team club or penydarren park.....abramovitch was saying the true wealth of a club is people like the late Paul chicken overbury.....those are the kind of die hard fans we want at Merthyr come snow rain or hail....sadly being 1000 feet above sea level on an island in the Atlantic ocean we don't get sunshine...but we will do when the lads get promoted via the play offs to the league we belong in....the fairweather fans will be there too in May ....but we know who the real heart of the club is.
Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 am

Last edited by europeanmartyr on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 am

There is also a scheme where fans can contribute £5 a week on a regular basis, just as an additional help to the club. Again, there are details in the programme.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 am

Tim Drummond wrote:There is also a scheme where fans can contribute £5 a week on a regular basis, just as an additional help to the club. Again, there are details in the programme.

It's in many of the programmes but not all - it won't be in the one for the Hungerford game, but here are the details:

SAVE THE MARTYRS CAMPAIGN

We thank the ongoing support of those 13 fans who are contributing on a weekly basis throughout the whole year to the Save the Martyrs campaign.
This scheme was launched by lifelong Merthyr supporter Allan ‘Salty’ Jones inviting small businesses, members of the public and supporters to become sponsors of the club and pay £5 a week to Club funds through a standing order. Those taking part are:
W Auty
G & A Jones
J Strand
M P Butler
P J Mack
A Davies
P Harman
JC Morgan
D Powell
W Hodgkins
AJ Owens
A Jeremiah
H Powell

We urge true Martyrs supporters to back this campaign. Please contact Allan Jones on 01685 388352 for more information.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next