Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Poole

+23
tomboy
dubchek
BH18Dolphin
Jamie Mack
Tim Drummond
Blandford dolphin
Royston Rogers
hirwaunman
LizRD
P45
CrazyNick
Old Sod
ncfc
GordonTheGopher
MattMartyr87
scamp
stevie g
Merthyr Imp
muscles76
Boz1964
joan of ark
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Solihull Martyr
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

MERTHYR v Poole - Page 3 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Poole

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:19 am

Nice one, Matt!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Poole - Page 3 Empty Merthyr v Poole

Post  Blandford dolphin Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 am

Just to give you an update on Glens injury; Straight legged cast hip 2 ankle. Suspect ruptured acl & damaged meniscus & mcl. Internal bleeding+swelling

Blandford dolphin

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Poole - Page 3 Empty MERTHYR vs Poole

Post  hirwaunman Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Bad news indeed - sincerest regrets from all true Merthyr fans.
I'm almost glad we didn't nick a win, because this news, together with the reported behavour of a tiny minority of so-called supporters, would certainly have taken the edge off any victory.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Yeh I second that!

I hope he's back on his feet ASAP! Regardless of who they play for, nobody want's to see anyone have a serious injury like that!

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  dubchek Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Just watched the footage of that tackle,if as you say Nathan Davies is a strong tackler and hard but fair,JOKE!!
Merthyr denied an obvious foul 10 secs.earlier by a poor official, frustration took over.
I hope he has the decency to contact Glenn and offer an opology.
As for the clowns threatning the RWA did not see them at Tatnum for the first match,to far to travel?

dubchek

Back to top Go down

Post  tomboy Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:26 pm

I was talkin to some Poole fans waiting for food they were decent bunch just came to watch game away from Poole just like us when we go away, I just hope it don't spoil the friendship we were getting together as for Glen hope he recovers quickly

tomboy

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:51 pm

i dont wish to fan the flames but i suggest could some of you just go back to the tackle made
on steve williams by the poole number 10 early in the game,if he had caught steve with that two footed tackle he would have been in hospital with two broken legs,not even a yellow card was given.
well that,s enough for me on this debate.All the best to the injured Poole player and apologies re,the idiots.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:05 pm

There were some tough tackles early on by Poole but that doesn't mean that any subsequent similar tackles by the opposition are in any way justified. Every incident is viewed on its own.
A referee's assessor would have seen that the official acted within the laws of the game as regarding the two sendings-off which I don't think the Merthyr management could disagree with.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Poole - Page 3 Empty Merthyr v Poole town

Post  Boz1964 Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Dubchek where did you see the tackle by Nathan is in on the internet?

I had a good view of all three tackles the one that got away before the Nathan Davies challenge...the horror tackle and the attempted one on Steve Williams and I agree with rustic they were all bookings and unnecessary.

Is is often the case that with weak refereeing that players take the law into their own hands.

At our level players make mistakes and they don't get the protection of Barclays premier league referees.

It is a lonely job being a whistleblower and you are always likely to upset some people.

I personally don't go in for ref baiting only on a humorous level as it is a thankless job.

Sadly if the referee had blown up for the foul and of course the Lino on the far side had flagged then that poor Poole player would not be in hospital now.

But remember both Matthew Harris and taz have both been subject to such horror tackles in the past and I don't remember anyone seeing red on the other side.

Football is a contact sport and anyone can hurt anyone through anger or frustration or bad timing.

Let's draw a line under this and hope we get a stronger referee next time on Tuesday night.

Get well soon the injured Poole player....we hope you have happier memories of Wales next time we play you.

Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:26 pm

The tackle can be seen via the Poole Town FC website. and has also been posted via Facebook. We haven't yet seen the Martyrs TV video.I think it does show that it was clearly a red card. I feel sorry for Nathan who is an experienced, but not dirty, player. But the injury to Howes is, sadly, a nasty one, however it was caused.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Poole - Page 3 Empty Referee

Post  beentowales Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:00 pm

I thought the referee had a good game. He had some difficult decisions to make, all of which he got right. He acted quickly and decisively which prevented anything from getting out of hand.

Here is the video of the assault: youtube.com/watch?v=qfWUVyrUzcQ

beentowales

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:51 pm

He did not get everything right and most importantly the bad foul on our boy preen moments before.If he had spotted this it would not have gone to the incident of the poole player being injured.Perhaps you could argue that he cannot see everything but the lines man was standing right by the first incident and from the noise made by the crowd to the first incident then it should have alerted the officials to some extent.Nobody likes to see injuries like this particularly us merthyr supporters as we had mathew out for almost a full season and tarki ? is still out must be coming up to2 years.

scamp

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Poole - Page 3 Empty Referee

Post  The hairy one Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 am

I think beentowales must have been watching a different game to me. BIG pity the video doesn't capture the challenge on Preeny seconds before. Obviously a blinkered Poole fan...
The hairy one
The hairy one

Back to top Go down

Post  Royston Rogers Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:05 am

POOLE'S fans are getting carried away with this incident....There were bad tackles throughout the game by their players also we recently had two key players out for over a season after bad tackles I don't remenber Facebook or Twitter being involved in those cases.They are also turning their poison keyboards on with remarks like... "we hope Merthyr don't go up "etc oh and one of their supporters is going to come up to any future games to back his team against "cowards and bullies".
I apologise if any Merthyr fans were out of order and I am sure the Club officials would not condone or hide this....Also I wish their player every good wish for a quick recovery.......HOWEVER POOLE'S FANS RESPONSE GIVES A LOT OF FOOD FOR THOUGHT.............

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down

Post  hirwaunman Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 am

I'd say that the video shows that the tackle by Nathan Davies was mistimed rather than malicious -but the opening seconds does show Garyn Preen lying injured with the ref's back to him. It seems likely that the cameraman caught that tackle also, but it has been omitted from the clip.
Anyway, nuff said for me - I just hope the Poole player makes a full and quick recovery.
Roll on Swindon Supermarine tomorrow.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:27 am

Not wishing to go for a tit for tat response, and to excuse a very bad and illtimed tackle by Nathan, but Poole Town were no angels, a number of their players when jumping for the ball were leaving their elbow's in and not being picked up by the referee. One such case was an elbow to Andrew Thomas's face resulting in a very bad cut, resulting in him having to leave the pitch to change his top (down to 8 ) the ref played on and a bad tackle on Steve Williams left him neading the physio to come on and then him having to leave the pitch down to 7 for a short time but we held on. As I say Poole were NO Angels.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Royston Rogers Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:56 am

Gordon that's the very point I was making.I played football and rugby for a few years and often saw quite bad injuries that were nothing to do with malice or indifference to the consequences of tackles etc I'm sorry to say but that referee was very poor..period!

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Poole - Page 3 Empty Merthyr v Poole

Post  Boz1964 Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:40 am

Thank you been to Wales for that video clip.

It was a poor mistimed tackle but believe or not I thought it looked worse in the actual game.

I remember wincing when I saw it in real time and thinking he had tackled him much higher on the legs.

It looks more likely that he slid in rather than jump in to me.

Anyway the fact of the matter is that poor Mr Howes was injured and any fan or player from either of our two clubs would not want that to have happened.

I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery and hope it isn't as serious as first thought.

I hope this unfortunate incident will not sour future matches or fan friendship that was up until this point building nicely.

Sport is sport and these things happen to all teams .

Let's hope this tackle being highlighted will save some other unfortunate player from the same fate.

Boz

Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:48 am

did i say the tackles were justified certainly not,our two incidents were rightly red cards but that ref.had a mare on saturday,and there it endeth for me.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  wewster Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 am

As I was coming home from work, talksport is on the radio and to my supprise merthyr town to get a mention, the video from the Poole website of the tackle can now be viewed on the talksport website. The presenter on the radio said it was the worst challenge that he has ever seen?

wewster

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 am

wewster wrote:As I was coming home from work, talksport is on the radio and to my surprise merthyr town got a mention, the video from the Poole website of the tackle can now be viewed on the talksport website. The presenter on the radio said it was the worst challenge that he has ever seen?

He can't have seen Roy Keane on Alf Inge Haland (and there must be plenty more a good deal worse than what happened on Saturday).

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  hirwaunman Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am

This is all getting out of hand, and I must agree with Mattmartyr that showcasing individual clips like this, out of context, is neither helpful nor professional. All I can say is that the Talksport presenter must have seen very little football if that is the worst he's seen.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

Yes, and whatever the rights and wrongs of the sendings-off, this all detracts from a performance of great character by the 9 men to come back from 2-1 down to get a draw from the match.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Royston Rogers Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I STILL WISH THE POOLE PLAYER THE BEST AND WE ALL REGRET THAT INCIDENT EVER OCCURRED.

We have still got Tariq out injured nearly 12 months,Mathew was lucky to play again he was out for months Merthyr F c have been through all this without reference to Twitter..Facebook...Talksport and all the rest.It seems to me Poole fans are out to crucify Nathan Davies who is a genuine hard but fair player.....Then we have these alleged threats against their supporters...were these matters reported?so we could identify the alleged culprits etc Oh and some children threw grit and small stones at them Was this reported? and was there corroboration?......Some of the tackling by their players was also dangerous but there again it is a contact sport like many Merthyr fans I tried to make Poole fans welcome but now we get all this!!
I and I think many other Merthyr fans are getting tired of Poole Town's fans sniping and moaning continually.As regarding chanting I have followed Merthyr for 60 years and all over England in a fair percentage of areas we get "racist chants" etc but I supposed we are expected to take this and say nothing.I don't remember our reception in some places being ever put on the internet...............AND I DID NOT HERE ONE"RACIST CHANT"OR COMMENT LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:42 pm

This is point I tried to make in my other post! The video clip has quietly gone quite viral and it has given the Club a negative image out of a 10 second clip!

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3