Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FA Trophy Draw

+9
EKC
Old Sod
Tim Drummond
marineland
The President
rustic
timshorts
CF48 MARTYR
Merthyr Imp
13 posters

Go down

FA Trophy Draw Empty FA Trophy Draw

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 am

If we beat Shortwood we're at home to Tonbridge Angels (Blue Square South) on 24 November:

http://www.thefa.com/Competitions/FACompetitions/TheFATrophy/Fixtures

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

FA Trophy Draw Empty FA Trophy Draw

Post  CF48 MARTYR Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 am

Yes I am reasonably happy with that (victory against Shortwood pending), due to the fact its home, and I certainly wouldnt fancy a replay on a Tuesday night.

I Went to Tonbridge a few years back in the FAT I think, with out checking I think we drew there on a Saturday (Mattie Davies scored a couple) and I am sure we sneaked through in the replay, but it was a few years ago, and my memory has been somewhat coors damaged since then.

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

FA Trophy Draw Empty Re: FA Trophy Draw

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:59 am

CF48 MARTYR wrote:
I Went to Tonbridge a few years back in the FAT I think, with out checking I think we drew there on a Saturday (Mattie Davies scored a couple) and I am sure we sneaked through in the replay, but it was a few years ago, and my memory has been somewhat coors damaged since then.

Have a look at the 'On This Day' feature in the programme for the Didcot match the other week!

3rd November 2001 - 'Leigh De Vulgt on loan from Swansea, and goalkeeper Ryan Braybrooke made their debuts for the Martyrs in a 3-3 draw away to Tonbridge Angels in the FA Trophy 1st Round.'

Mattie Davies did score twice, and got two more in the replay (3-2 to us).

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 am

Great Evil or Very Mad . Tonbridge away was that sh!t performance when we blew the chance of getting into the inaugural Conference South on the last day of the season. Not a good memory, that one.

Rye have a player that was playing for them last year - Anthony Storey. Good player, but got fed up with the travelling. I'd rather it was away, but first things first, let's beat Shortwood.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 am

Didn,t Ron Skyme go to play for Tonbridge from Merthyr years ago now mind you.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  The President Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Tad disappointed with the draw. Team from a higher league (granted at home) but they are hardly an attractive draw. Can't see the floating fan getting out of bed for this one.

The President

Back to top Go down

Post  marineland Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:36 am

Good luck against Shortwood. Should you get through to play Tonbridge a unique first will occur as both clubs have fans who also support my club, Marine. Most of you will know Jon Caple. He started watching Marine when he was a student at Liverpool Univerity several years ago. Tonbridge have two fans, Paul Redfearn and Christ Feast, who also support Marine (they travelled to the North Ferriby game last Saturday). The three lads also have something else in common.........they all like beer so you can guarantee that there will be a bit of good banter at the game should Merthyr get through. I always look out for your results and saw you at Willand a couple of seasons ago and met some of your brilliant fans. One day I may even make it to your ground to watch a game, hopefully, when my team and yours are drawn together in the Trophy or (judging by the 4Q draw this season a possiblity), in the FA Cup. Good luck once again. (great to see the big Merthyr flag at Macclesfield a couple of weeks ago. Our fans understand where it came from and appreciate the link that Jon has made between our two clubs.

marineland

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:03 am

Tonbridge Angels have booked a bus for the trip to Merthyr, leaving at 9am. But they need to fill all 35 seats if it is to run.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 am

Tim Drummond wrote:Tonbridge Angels have booked a bus for the trip to Merthyr.

That looks rather tempting..........

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:19 am

A warm welcome awaits Tonbridge Angels. It's a long trip for them but I am sure the players, officials and supporters will enjoy their visit to Penydarren Park.
It should be a good game.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 pm

timshorts wrote:Great Evil or Very Mad . Tonbridge away was that sh!t performance when we blew the chance of getting into the inaugural Conference South on the last day of the season. Not a good memory, that one.

Rye have a player that was playing for them last year - Anthony Storey. Good player, but got fed up with the travelling. I'd rather it was away, but first things first, let's beat Shortwood.

Wasn't that last game of the season Chelmsford away when they were playing at Billericay?
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Old Sod wrote:
timshorts wrote:Great Evil or Very Mad . Tonbridge away was that sh!t performance when we blew the chance of getting into the inaugural Conference South on the last day of the season. Not a good memory, that one.

Wasn't that last game of the season Chelmsford away when they were playing at Billericay?

Yes, I was a little confused by that - I don't think Tonbridge have been in the same division as Merthyr since the early 1970s.

I wondered if timshorts was referring to Rye Town rather than Merthyr, but I don't think they've ever reached that level.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:56 pm

The old Tonbridge Club went into voluntary liquidation in 1976. Tonbridge Angels took over and they moved to Longmead Stadium in 1980. So they,like Merthyr, have seen their problems and have overcome them!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  EKC Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:02 am

Greetings from Kent.

How is the pitch looking after all this rain? I hope it drains well as there will be one or two very unhappy angel fans (and players) if the game is postponed at the last minute.

Any information you can give us regarding any good pubs close to the ground as well as what the grounds catering and club bar are like would be appreciated. For instance does the club bar sell Brain's?

Very much looking forward to the game.

EKC

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:13 am

I assume there will be a very early-morning inspection. We haven't had that much rain here, as in some places, but today is rather stormy, rather than heavy rain. The pitch doesn't drain too badly. I would say the game is unlikely to be called off at the last minute unless there is a sudden downpour. So, fingers crossed.
Under the old Merthyr Tydfil side, there was a Strikers Social Club at the ground; that is now disused. The bar is called The Candac Suite and can be accessed via the back of the grandstand. It holds more than 100 people so is adequate for our needs until we have a new function hall built, which is part of the club's plan for a 3G pitch, new floodlights etc.
The Penalty Spot Cafe is to the right of the main entrance at the ground and sells chips, sausages, hot sausage rolls, pies and pasties, beans, curry, tea, coffee, cold drinks, chocolate bars etc. There was also a snack bar at the "Bob Bank" side but that has now closed.
Good choice of drinks at The Candac but I can't remember offhand if they sell Brains. I will check.There will be a good welcome there.
But there are pubs nearby in the High Street, five to ten minutes walk from the ground, including a Wetherspoons.
Look forward to the game; hope is does go ahead!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 am

Yeah I'd recommend the Candac too. Cracking atmosphere on match days.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

http://www.italianfilmreview.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:53 pm

There's always a good selection of bottled ales in the fridge at the Candac Suite.

They had bottles of Brains Dark there last week for example.

If you have a pint in the town centre before going to the ground then the Winchester on Castle Street is worth a visit as it is a Rhymney Brewery pub and has some great ales on draught there.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

FA Trophy Draw Empty F A Trophy

Post  Boz1964 Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 am

Never seen a lot of brains in the Candac on match day. They might serve Cardiff beer though....but where did that lovely rhymney brewery beer go....don't forget they helped the club when we needed it most...the time we had to beg steal and borrow to keep the electric on....boz 1964
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:18 am

Boz1964 wrote:Never seen a lot of brains in the Candac on match day.
Never a truer word said Boz, never a truer word said...!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Old Sod wrote:

Yes, you're right. Odd how memory gets to you after a bit. I've probably disliked Tonbridge for the last 10 years because of it, but it turns out I've never be to the place.

I can remember the bar, a sort of feeling that the paintwork was blue, and a definite recollection that I blamed Cortez Belle for the result, so he may have got sent off or something.

There's another game (probably some years before) that we were dreadful in and lost 4-0. Similarly, I can remember one of the joke goals we conceded, a furrowed sloping pitch and maybe that it was somewhere in Northamptonshire way but I've no idea where.

Anyhow, as there was b. all else on Saturday, I went to Maidstone to see them beat Salisbury 2-0. They are in the same division as Tonbridge, Maidstone the same level as us. I had no idea that Salisbury were top until I read the programme when I got home. If that is as good as it gets in the Conference South then Tonbridge are do-able. But the Salisbury fans I spoke to warned to wear two sets of shinpads and body armour as Tonbridge are apparently no angels.

3G pitch incidently played as well as advertised. Fantastic. It pissed down all game, but the surface was great.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down