Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cortez Belle

2 posters

Go down

Cortez Belle Empty Cortez Belle

Post  Joachim Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 am

Hi Merthyr fans

Cambridge City supporter in peace.

Congratulations on a good first season as Merthyr Town, I'm sure you'll do well in the Western Premier next season if that's where you'll be plying your trade.

Just one question: is Cortez Belle still with you? If not, where does he play now? I see from your official site stats that he's not featured since you beat Shrewton United 3-0 on Nov 20. Just curious, since big Belle is a somewhat 'different' footballer to what one's used to.

All the best for the future!

Joachim

Joachim

Back to top Go down

Cortez Belle Empty Re: Cortez Belle

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:37 am

Cortez Belle last played in the Les Phillips Cup (Western League Cup) tie at Willand Rovers on 27 November. He was sent off in that game for the 3rd time this season which meant he was due for a 7-game suspension.

Due to the bad weather in December we didn't have another game until 3 January. In January, during his 7 game suspension Cortez Belle left the club to join Caerleon in the Welsh League Division 2. He seems to be playing and scoring regularly for them (as you might expect):-

http://www.caerleonafc.co.uk/79906/player_profile.pl?player=1757007

It's fair to say that he's not been missed up front at Merthyr, as new centre forward Ryan Prosser who was signed at the end of October has scored 20 goals in just 21 games.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Joachim Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 am

Thank you for your elaborate reply mate, much appreciated.

Three sendings off just this season for Belle then, I must admit I'm not surprised to hear that. Did he leave you with some kind of cult tag around his neck? Or what did you supporters make of him?

I recognize a few names from your squad from last season's Southern Premier campaign and you would expect those players to do well at Step 6 level. Anyway, I'm sure you also brought in a good few new lads, so it's a good job Mr Shephard has done to get you promoted at the first attempt.

Do you reckon you'll be in the Western Premier next season or is there a chance you might apply for the Hellenic League?

Joachim

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 am

Yes, the majority (not all) of the players from last season stayed with the club, plus Craig Stiens and Matthew Harris who had left a year earlier came back to us. Also, Kris Leek who had a spell with Merthyr last season rejoined in January.

We were placed in the Western League rather than the Hellenic League when Merthyr Town were formed, so will be staying in that having now won promotion to the higher of the 2 divisions. There would be no reason to move sideways to the Hellenic League as it's only at the same level. Movement up from both leagues is into the Southern League's regionalised lower division (I think it's currently called Division 1 South & West that we would go up to).

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Joachim Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 am

Yes, you're right the obvious thing to do would be for you to stay in the Western League and play in its Premier Division rather than to step sideways and feature in the Hellenic Premier Division. Sometimes it happens, though, when clubs find they can cut travel costs by joining a neighbouring league.

It was sad to see your demise last season, I saw your game at Milton Road and talked briefly to a couple of your fans and you seemed like a good bunch. I hope to be able to make it to Penydarren Park some time in the future, hopefully already next season as I love to do a bit of groundhopping. Good thing you're returning home after your one year exile in Taff's Well. Do you reckon your crowds would have been considerably higher if you had stayed on in Merthyr Tydfil rather than having to play your home games out of town?

Joachim

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 am

Joachim wrote: Do you reckon your crowds would have been considerably higher if you had stayed on in Merthyr Tydfil rather than having to play your home games out of town?

Well, my own opinion is that they would have been higher - but not considerably higher if we'd been at Penydarren Park. Although attendances in the first part of last season were quite good they fell away somewhat in the second part of the season, and there were four games when we had fewer than this season's lowest of 244. Considering the 40 mile round trip for every home game and a drop of three divisions I think it's been marvellous that crowds have held up so well.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Joachim Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 am

I have noticed you have had some very healthy crowds indeed and not a lot of Step 5 clubs even around the country can compare with your attendances. I am sure there will be a lot of people in attendance on Saturday week when you play Bridport in your final game at Taff's Well, possibly bettering the 501 who came to see you against Gillingham Town.

May I ask what's been going on at Penydarren Park whilst you've been away? Any refurbishing, or is it just that you were ejected out of the ground by the powers that be for little reason?

Joachim

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 am

Joachim wrote:
May I ask what's been going on at Penydarren Park whilst you've been away? Any refurbishing, or is it just that you were ejected out of the ground by the powers that be for little reason?

Trying to put the whole situation fairly briefly:-

The situation was that Merthyr Tydfil FC went into Administration in mid 2009 resulting in the 10 point deduction for last season. The club was run by the Supporters Trust last season under license from the Adminstrator. As there were no offers acceptable to the Administrator for MTFC the Trust formed Merthyr Town FC after the end of the season. The Administrator still had contriol of Penydarren Park and was unable to allow the new club to play there, so a new ground to play on had to be found st short notice - Taffs Well.

To quote from an article by the Trust Secretary that is shortly to appear in the match programme:- 'The administrator failed to sell the lease to Penydarren Park and Merthyr Tydfil FC was liquidated. The lease to the ground was relinquished and Merthyr Council took control. We were given a lease to use the ground, but it was too late to return immediately because the season had already started.'

However, since September the club have been based at Penydarren Park again but were refused permission by the football authorities to change in mid season to playing competitive first team games there.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Joachim Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 pm

Cheers for explaining the situation. I'm sure moving back to your proper home for good for next season will give the club another major boost. Good luck on your surge up the leagues mate

Joachim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down