Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final

+5
Old Sod
muscles76
cliffyboy
MattMartyr87
WSCEvans
9 posters

Go down

Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final Empty Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final

Post  WSCEvans Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:09 pm

WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final Empty Re: Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final

Post  MattMartyr87 Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Nice! Does anyone have any more rare footage?

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final Empty Re: Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final

Post  WSCEvans Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 pm

MattMartyr87 wrote:Nice! Does anyone have any more rare footage?
Looking through the video what amazes me is the size of the crowd you can sense what an occasion the Welsh cup final was then, In a by gone age of no tv or internet, In comparison Wales will play Ireland in an international friendly next week and struggle for 10,000. How times have changed.
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:36 am

That must have been the 1951 final?

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:56 am

The following year (1952) Merthyr reached the final again when they lost 4-3 to Rhyl at Ninian Park

Oh! BTW Merthyr won the replay in 1951 to lift the Welsh Cup

Does anybody know someone who were at these games ?

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  muscles76 Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 am

superb find well done .

muscles76

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:07 pm

cliffyboy wrote:The following year (1952) Merthyr reached the final again when they lost 4-3 to Rhyl at Ninian Park

Probably Wandering - before Solihull says it!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Old Sod wrote:
cliffyboy wrote:The following year (1952) Merthyr reached the final again when they lost 4-3 to Rhyl at Ninian Park

lol8) 
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Old Sod wrote:

Spoilsport!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Amazing footage....but I think martyrs tv has shot it's bolt with this video....most of the crowd are still at penydarren park....and weirdly some of the crowd look older in black and white than they did last season....great shorts too...for some of our smaller players they wouldn't need shirts too....must get me rattle down from the attic .....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:11 pm

A search on Pathe News is well worth it.

We've already got the Merthyr v Rhyl final on the club video that Colin Bodenham continues to compile. It contains the immortal line "here come Merthyr to stop the nonsense".

The arrival of Cardiff City at Pontmorlais with the FA Cup in 1927 is another great reel with the packed crowds and trams arriving.

There's a weird film of Gloucester players being hypnotised before a Merthyr game in the sixties too.

Plenty to view.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Wanderin' remembers the Kardiff celebrations of course #beatyoutoitoldsod!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Don't the WFA also have scenarios that are 50-odd years out of date...?! #Pathe-tic
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:05 am

Haha! Sounds like some crazy footage. I'll have to speak to you guys about getting copies and upliading them. It's great that theres little bits of footage out there.

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Vintage Merthyr footage Cardiff v Merthyr Welsh cup final Empty Vintage footage

Post  meurid p Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:31 am

I was at both of those games as a young teenager living in Ivor Street Dowlais, and at the top of the street was the Ivor Works and on the days of those matches the workers went into work early so they could get an early finish thus enabling them to go to the games. On these match days which were mid week and before the advent of floodlights there would be a fleet of double decker buses waiting outside the works to take the workers to the games. In the week following these games there would be a special showing of Pathe News featuring the games at the Castle Cinema in Merthyr and it was surprising to see people going into the cinema just to see the Welsh Cup ties on the big screen and then leave. The clip shown is one from Pathe News.

Great days .

meurid p

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:23 pm

meurid p wrote:I was at both of those games as a young teenager living in Ivor Street Dowlais, and at the top of the street was the Ivor Works and on the days of those matches the workers went into work early so they could get an early finish thus enabling them to go to the games. On these match days which were mid week and before the advent of floodlights there would be a fleet of double decker buses waiting outside the works to take the workers to the games. In the week following these games there would be a special showing of Pathe News featuring the games at the Castle Cinema in Merthyr and it was surprising to see people going into the cinema just to see the Welsh Cup ties on the big screen and then leave. The clip shown is one from Pathe News.

Great days .
Fantastic insight there and great to see you were at the game:D here is the link to the 1952 Welsh cup final which sadly the Martyrs went on to lose.http://www.britishpathe.com/video/welsh-cup-final-welsh-special-aka-merthyr-tydfil/query/Reynolds
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Brilliant link there mate. I was only 5 in 1952, some years later around 57/58 I can just about remember my uncle telling me he was at that game at Ninian Park. He was a regular at Penydarren Park and Ninian Park in the 50's and 60's, I went with him to many games when I was in junior school, infact I was 10 when I saw my first Wales game in 1958 v Israel a 2-0 win at Ninian Park to qualify for the World Cup (We haven't qualified since!)

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down