Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS

+7
The hairy one
CrazyNick
Boz1964
MattMartyr87
A465 Martyr
rustic
CF48 MARTYR
11 posters

Go down

PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS Empty PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS

Post  CF48 MARTYR Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:57 am

Having a few days to reflect on our poor run of form I am at the conclusion that a play off birth is still very much within our own hands, starting with a win at Taunton tonight.

We have a tough fixture shedule coming up but we have a strong sqaud, some would consider the best and worst in the league all rolled into one, on occasions we have been bottom end material, on other occasions weve been performing well above our level.

We have proved on our day that we are a match for anyone in this league and we need to start realising that, suck it in, and get the job done.

I am sure we will all (as supporters) be 100% behind the lads from now until the end of the season, but with games in hand and what I would consider winnable games to come at home we are in with a excellent chance of extending our own season.

Come on the lads, weve had our wobble, over to you now, lets do this..!!!!!

UP THE TOWN

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS Empty Re: PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS

Post  rustic Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 am

A bit more vocal support at home i feel would help,i dont
know if it is me or not but i find it is very quiet of late.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  A465 Martyr Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:24 am

Seems like only yesterday I was sitting in the stands at Rodney Parade, this season has flown by.

Sadly not been able to get to many games this season compared with the last, so it has been difficult for me to gauge personally the difference in quality of opposition from last season. From reading the various reports on here and seeing our video highlights it does seem that we have been incredibly Jekyll and Hyde. I mean, you don't just convincingly put away one of the runaway contenders for the title home and away by being naff.

From afar, I'd have to say I would be disappointed if we failed to make the play-offs having occupied a space for the best part of the season. Here's hoping we can make it over the finishing line and maybe a bit further.

Up the Martyrs of Merthyr Town.
A465 Martyr
A465 Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 am

Yes I have noticed it being a bit quieter this season. Maybe we should start a brass band!?

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS Empty Merthyr fight back

Post  Boz1964 Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

You are quite right that the decibel levels have gone down on the season...my alternative theory is that the majority of the martyrs fans are to put it politely getting on a wee bit...I suspect that frozen dentures in the glass at home on the bedside table with high fuel bills being a factor....let's hope for a thaw on the weekend and some dent u fix...c'mon the town...chatter chatter....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm

damn thats what it is i have been going to a cemetery not p.p.

rustic

Back to top Go down

PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS Empty The fight back has started

Post  Boz1964 Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Good one rustic....a cemetery with floodlights....where from now and till the end of the season we bury the opposition at home on the pitch....different kind of 3G....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyNick Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:37 am

MattMartyr87 wrote:Yes I have noticed it being a bit quieter this season. Maybe we should start a brass band!?
I used to play the tenor horn in a brass band! I'm your man.
CrazyNick
CrazyNick

Back to top Go down

Post  The hairy one Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 am

Boz1964 wrote:Good one rustic....a cemetery with floodlights....where from now and till the end of the season we bury the opposition at home on the pitch....different kind of 3G....boz

That's a very grave comment.
The hairy one
The hairy one

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 am

For opposing teams obviously. Very Happy

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:40 am

Town’s battle about to get hectic
Celtic Sport

IT’S a gruelling climax to the season in Merthyr’s battle for the Southern League play-offs. And the fixture pile-up after a bad winter mean The Martyrs will face three games in four days during this month.

Bridgwater were running out of dates to fit in their rearranged journey to Penydarren Park. Now it has been agreed they will fulfil the fixture – on Sunday , April 21, 3pm start, sandwiched between Merthyr’s home clash with Wimborne the previous day and a trip to Abingdon United on the following Tuesday. Merthyr secretary Jamie Mack commented: “It’s not ideal but it’s the best option in the circumstances.”

And, before that scenario, the charges of bosses Garry Shephard and Danny Carter face three games in six days. Just three days after the Easter Monday meeting with Cinderford, they are due at Taunton, host struggling Winchester on Saturday (3pm) and travel to Didcot on the Tuesday, kick-off 7.45pm.

Fortunately, they hope to have a full-strength squad for the vital and hectic run-in with Ryan Newman back after injury and Gary Colborne having served his two-game suspension.

The club have also recruited new signing Alex Long, an exciting young wing prospect, from Sully Sports. He has banged in 29 goals from 25 games in the South Wales Senior League under manager Mike Fowler, a former Merthyr Tydfil captain. Fowler enthused: “Alex is a fantastic prospect and reminds me of Dane Williams. He will score ridiculous goals out of nothing from long range. He is a very direct, energetic player who can play on either wing or up front, left wing being his strongest position.” Fowler, also a former Crystal Palace and Forest Green player, added: “He can cross with both feet and I am sure he will help Merthyr to get back to where they belong.”

Merthyr will be looking for a few goals against Saturday’s visitors Winchester. They lost 4-0 at home to Cirencester last week, are rock bottom, in desperate financial trouble and have very few volunteers keeping the club going. They have to rely on young players and lost 3-0 at home to The Martyrs in December.

The Hampshire side have leaked 81 goals this season. But could escape relegation if they solve their cash plight, with Sholing announcing they are to quit the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One (South and West) and revert to The Wessex League for the next campaign. Only one club are scheduled to be relegated.

Merthyr go to Didcot next Tuesday, April 9. The Oxfordshire side have pushed up to the halfway spot, beating Clevedon last Saturday at home by 2-1

Wandering

Back to top Go down

PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS Empty PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS

Post  CF48 MARTYR Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:47 am

Nice to see the press lifting comments from this forum and my facebook page regarding the Mike Fowler comments..

:-)

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 pm

I wouldn't say it was the press, just the volunteer who tries to cobble something together to give the club some publicity.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

PLAY OFFS IN OUR HANDS Empty The witch is dead, long live The Martyrs.

Post  mandrake Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 am

Am I right in thinking that 2nd play 5th, and 3rd play 4th in the play-offs?
mandrake
mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:18 am

Yes - it's:

2nd at home to 5th
3rd at home to 4th

Then the highest placed club is at home in the final. So 5th doesn't get a home game in either match, and 3rd or 4th are only at home in the final if 5th has beaten 2nd.

Hope that makes sense!

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:20 am

Bridgwater's win at Winchester at the weekend was their first in 18 games.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down