Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Striker on move

4 posters

Go down

Striker on move Empty Striker on move

Post  scamp Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:08 am

According to newport website their striker jake harris is on the move.He has been mentioned a number of times on this forum so what an opportunity to sign a top class striker.It is also rumoured joe perry is on his way but with cutlan we have an excellant replacement

scamp

Back to top Go down

Striker on move Empty Re: Striker on move

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:06 am

Could Merthyr afford to sign Jake Harris? He has not been a regular for Newport since signing from home-town club Weston-super-Mare but did score 10 times last season.
Looking at our gates recently (when only Saturday games seem to bring the crowds) with fewer than 400 in total for the past two matches on Tuesday nights, I would think the club need a lot more income if we are to pay out any extra wages. We would probably have to release a couple of players or more...

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 am

Harris remained on the bench eight times in Newport's 12 opening BSP games this season.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:59 pm

I doubt if he is a big wage earner at newport as they stated on their website.If frome town could afford him on loan last season i do not see why we cannot.I appreciate the financial side of things but it is not everyday a quality striker comes available.The most valuable asset of a side in my opinion is a good striker and a good goalkeeper

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:03 pm

As far as tuesday nights gates are concerned it will be interesting to see how many we get against tiverton as we will not have cardiff home newport home or any big matches on the tv to compete with

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Harris also had two loan spells with Gloucester City. The first time he didn't play many games because of niggling injuries.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Striker on move Empty Striker on move

Post  CF48 MARTYR Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 am

Harris is a top striker but will be on far too much money for us to take on, twice maybe three times our top earner would be my guess so aside from busting the bank and unsettling our players I just cant see this move happening at all.

We need a striker still for me, even though Saturday it all came together, but we must be careful and prudent with our selection and I know Shep is always on the look out for someone that will improve us.

We can all throw names about, say we have seen x,y & z player, but players, clubs and managers are in touch constantly about all types of players once we wouldn't have seen, so I think we should trust those in charge to make the calls on players.

Like I said last week, this season has seen the departure of two good forwards with bags of potential in Jamie Weyrn and Joe Leahy but it seems neither wanted to hang around, dig in and fight for their place in the squad which is disappointing, both I am sure will do well at Ton Pentre.

Weve been dealt a blow with Garyn Preen being out injured long terms after just making 2 appearances so we also have him to come back into the fray.

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 am

We assume he will require a high wage but we do not now is circumstance he might have a job outside football and part time might suit him.I would assume shep would have followed this up and report back to the board and if he or for that matter anyone else is beyond our budget then fair enough.

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 am

I don't know if Harris is full-time with County. If he is, then I can't see how Merthyr could afford him even if the management were interested in signing him, which we don't know.
He has hardly played this season so I would wonder about his prowess anyway. And as I said two seasons ago he was plagued by injuries.
Merthyr are already committed to extra outgoings this season but we can't say that the gates have improved to bring in more cash.
And, as mentioned, if we recruited a player on big money, it would have an unsettling effect on the other players.Some clubs prefer to have everyone on the same wages, a policy I know several SL clubs have adopted in recent seasons.
Big wages at this level of football are now becoming a thing of the past. Clubs have thrown money away and hence so many are in trouble today.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  ncfc Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 am

Doubt he'd be on massive money, and he is a good player. I think he'll end up back at Weston though.

ncfc

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Tiverton have signed a new striker from bridgewater and is expected to make his debut against us on tuesday

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Yes, I think Weston will be a good bet for Harris.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down