Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penydarren Park Pitch

+5
wewster
Kathleen Hurley
Wandering
Admin
Old Sod
9 posters

Go down

Penydarren Park Pitch Empty Penydarren Park Pitch

Post  Old Sod Sun May 27, 2012 1:23 pm

I took Wayne for our usually weekly trip around PP today and was very disappointed to see that very little work has been done on the pitch. Apart from the Lino's runs being grassed and the grass on the pitch being cut nothing else seems to have been done. The six yard areas still look like the beach at Normandy, albeit with a few tufts of grass growing and the crop of dandelions is looking good. I've seen Carts each week in the 4 weeks since the season ended when I've taken Wayne to school and he always asks "have they started on the pitch yet" and each week I say "apparently it's due to start next week".

At this rate next week is going to be next season. Our team try to play football but the state our pitch is in will count against them and they deserve better.

Can anyone tell me -
When is the work going to start on the pitch?

When is the work going to start on the disabled toilets which I understand is funded by the grant we received?

Is there any news on the lift to carry wheelchair bound supporters up to the Candac?

I'm not having a "go" at anyone here as I know that everyone involved with MTFC are volunteers but tempus is fugiting and we need to get things moving.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park Pitch Empty Re: Penydarren Park Pitch

Post  Admin Sun May 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Work on the pitch - we are waiting on contarctors who have deleyed their start date. Hoping progress will be made this week. Checking with Ron Walton tomorrow.

Disabled toilet - we may have to delay this. We have urgent electrical work to do in the grandstand building and it may be necessary to divert grant money to this. We do have continued availability of the mobile disable toilet outside Strikers.

Lift - a feasibility study on the development of ground in general is currently being carried out, Hope to receive recommendations soon and will then search for grants to enable develoment to include proper facilities for disbled.

Admin
Admin

https://mtfcforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 28, 2012 9:45 am

Contractors started work today on the pitch today and aim to finish on Wednesday

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Mon May 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Ideally, we could do with rain during the night from Wednesday onwards and sunshine during the days for the next few weeks!!

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Kathleen Hurley Tue May 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Disabled toilet - we may have to delay this. We have urgent electrical work to do in the grandstand building and it may be necessary to divert grant money to this. We do have continued availability of the mobile disable toilet outside Strikers.

The mobile disabled toilet is locked and you have to go and ask for the key which is not practical for certain disabilities or medical conditions. I've been told that the key is kept in the penalty spot cafe.
What if the cafe is busy when you need it ? How would a wheelchair user or someone on crutches get through the queue.
People can moan about costs but discrimination is discrimination.

Kathleen Hurley

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 30, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks to Kath for pointing out the difficulties. Having reviewed the situation, we think that the development of the disabled toilet can proceed in the close season.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wewster Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 am

It's not just the disabled toilets that need looking at, there is lack of facilities for the female supporter. As A father of 2 young girls there are no toilets in side the ground apart from in the candac suite, which can be struggle if your at the other end of the ground.

wewster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for the comments about ladies toilet facilities.

Other than gent's urinals, the only facilities available are in the CANDAC or to the left at the top of the stairs, if patrons do not wish to enter the CANDAC.

I must admit we have not considered this issue previously, as there have not been such facilities on the opposite side of the ground in recent years.

We are currently carrying out a feasibility study with a view to long term development of the ground, with the help of Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council. We will bear the comments in mind when long term plans are drawn up.

Meanwhile I am afraid finances will stretch only to the provision of the disabled toilet.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Excellent news about the pitch. I spoke to Ron earlier and he said the contractors seem to have done a really good job. No doubt me and Wayne will be inspecting this weekend. Hopefully the expected showers of rain will help the grass grow.

Also very good news about the disabled toilet. I appreciate that money is tight and the electrics no doubt need attention but as Kath says we need to take into account the disabilty laws especially as far as discrimination is concerned as well as maintaining of the dignity of the disabled person. Well done.

If I remember rightly the only female toilets in the ground were either in the Candac or Strikers - I can never remember any on the far side of the ground or behind the goals. To put the necessary plumbing over that side of the ground would be extremely expensive but if finances allow in the future I'm sure it will be considered.

Thanks to "Admin" for keeping us informed.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  abercwmboi martyr Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 pm

I know we need to have everything in place but we're doing a great job and everyone is creating a part of history and I believe as we go up the leagues and hopefully become more of a "community club" we will be able to develop our ground and make it a community "hub" Very Happy

abercwmboi martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Wed May 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Great news about the playing surface and disabled toilets.

Are we also planning the repairs needed to the terracing at the Theatre Royal End identified in the ground grading?

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Some work is planned. Once again it's a matter of finance. Will update when plans are firmer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed May 30, 2012 5:01 pm

There is a comprehensive report on Toilets at Football Stadia which can be accessed on line.
It suggests that toilets should be provided on the basis of male to female ratio of supporters in the various sections of the ground.
I know that two years ago two females were present at a match in memory of a relative who had died. They walked over from the other side of the Park to the grandstand side and inquired where the ladies' toilets were.
Perhaps there is a need for signs to Toilets or an explanation in the match-day programme. I think that young female supporters also face a problem in that the access for them to the Candac Suite from the grandstand is not an easy one with the steps having to be negotiated, especially at half-time when there is a rush to the bar.
I think more specific toilet facilities are specified higher up the English pyramid.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park Pitch Empty Re;pendarren park pitch

Post  P45 Thu May 31, 2012 3:24 am

There is a male and female tiolet block at the old segregated area far side of ground (the 0ne with the martyrs badge on) the facilities include two mens wc cubicles and urinal plus hand washing facilities.the female the same without urinal..However due to a fire in the tiolet block about two years ago,these facilities were destroyed..However the services to the tiolet block are still there.and can be brought back in to use at a cost..can us fans raise the funds so this tiolet block can be used again.

P45

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 am

Tim Drummond wrote:
Perhaps there is a need for signs to Toilets or an explanation in the match-day programme.

Well, that's a thought. I could maybe put an occasional notice in the programme saying where various toilet facilities are, but on reflection I can't actually remember seeing such information in any other football club programmes over the years, so I don't think I'd include it in every issue.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:49 am

Old Sod wrote:Excellent news about the pitch. Hopefully the expected showers of rain will help the grass grow.
Typical Bank Holiday weather - rain!!!

This will be great for the growth of the pitch though!

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Me and Wayne had an afternoon's wander down the Park and the pitch is looking good. The new grass in the penalty seems to have taken well - no doubt the rain's helped - and the rest of the pitch has been mowed and it's looking lush and green. Part of the centre circle is still covered, no doubt to keep the birds away from the new seed. What it's like underfoot, I don't know but it's certainly looking a lot better than it did last weekend.

What's more virtually all the weeds from the Bob Bank have been removed and there's just a few left either end. The Theatre end has also been weeded and I noted a few battens were in place on the terracing and parts of it have been cemented over.

All in all a very pleasant visit and a lot of work has been done over the last 7 days. Whoever's done it need to be named and praised. It looks as if my trusty hoe will not be needed this season but if there is anything more gardening needed then let us know.

Well done for all the work done so far.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down