Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ken Leek (games for Martyrs?)

3 posters

Go down

Ken Leek (games for Martyrs?) Empty Ken Leek (games for Martyrs?)

Post  cliffyboy Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Any older Merthyr fans remember or know how many games ex Welsh International Ken Leek played for the Martyrs? He also played for Ton Pentre before calling it a day in 1970.

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Ken Leek (games for Martyrs?) Empty Re: Ken Leek (games for Martyrs?)

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm

I remember Leek playing for Merthyr (wasn't he player-manager for a while? I'm not sure) but don't know how many games he played.
Kris Leek is related to him.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:42 am

With a lot of famous ex players that graced the Penydarren park turf, would it be viable to employ an historian at the football club? a lot of details re ex players seem to be a bit sketchy on here. I believe that Merthyr library have copies of the Express from way back when! Idea

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:54 am

The Express is available on film at Merthyr Library. But that is still closed at present for modernisation (I understand that you will be able to get a cup of tea there while borrowing books).
The nearest thing the club had to a historian was David Watkins, who has produced several books on Merthyr Tydfil FC, with the help of other long-term supporters, etc.
But he doesn't seem to come along to matches anymore.
Philip Sweet also brought out some books on Merthyr, particularly on the early years. I did see him earlier this season but haven't noticed him lately so not sure if he has attended or not.
There is, thankfully, a record of appearances of present day Merthyr Town players in each match-day programme. Perhaps someone can keep these as a future reference.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 am

cliffyboy wrote:With a lot of famous ex players that graced the Penydarren park turf, would it be viable to employ an historian at the football club?

I don't think 'employ' is viable! But it would be an opening for a volunteer if there was anyone with the time and inclination.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down