Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far can MTFC get??

+10
A465 Martyr
NP23 jack/martyr
CF48 MARTYR
GordonTheGopher
hirwaunman
Tim Drummond
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Old Sod
Merthyr Imp
Kardiffboi96
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How far can MTFC get?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How far can MTFC get??

Post  Bristol Martyr Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 am

Tim Drummond wrote:I thought it was Neil Young who sang:"It's better to burn out than to fade away" on Hey, Hey, My My!

Neil Young, pure genius!
Bristol Martyr
Bristol Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  abercwmboi martyr Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 am

I think that the main aim is to get back into the Southern league and stay there for a few years. I feel that as attendances would increase, we would be able to make a push and survive in the Conference South. My dream would be to see us in Conference and get to see days like my father got to see. However, I think at the moment, I'm just so happy that we are in control of our club and that we arent in danger of any Money- man taking the piss out of us. We have a great group of fans that all care about the club. UP THE TOWN!

abercwmboi martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:57 am

At last FOOTBALL.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:11 am

GordonTheGopher wrote:Time to get back to football matters instead of all this discussion about music unless we talk about my passion for Victorian/Edwardian light opera and musicals. Very Happy

Ah yes, the days of Lionel Monckton - you can't beat The Arcadians for catchy tunes.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 am

I have LPs by Ruby Murray (Softly Softly was her big hit) and Ronnie Hilton (No Other Love was one song). And I saw Neil Young a few years ago in Finsbury Park with wife Pegi in the band!
Oh, regarding football. I agree that it is good that the supporters own the club. But we have to remember that if the money men of the past had not come in (John Reddy, Wyn Holloway) the club then known as Merthyr Tydfil would have folded completely long ago.
The club collapsed in 1997 and then Holloway came in and then went into administration and liquidation in 2010, hence the Trust and Merthyr Town.
Now it's a question of building the club up to climb back up the pyramid as realistically as possible.
In my opinion, the Southern League Premier would be the most appropriate target.
Higher than that and we become involved with ground upgrading and costs.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:46 am

Vivian Ellis was a much under-rate composer of musicals - The Boyfriend, Mr Cinders etc.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

How far can MTFC get?? - Page 2 Empty Merthyr Potential

Post  WelshCelt Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

abercwmboi martyr wrote:I think that the main aim is to get back into the Southern league and stay there for a few years. I feel that as attendances would increase, we would be able to make a push and survive in the Conference South. My dream would be to see us in Conference and get to see days like my father got to see. However, I think at the moment, I'm just so happy that we are in control of our club and that we arent in danger of any Money- man taking the piss out of us. We have a great group of fans that all care about the club. UP THE TOWN!

I thought this was a great quote - giving a sense of possibility whilst being founded in reality. The reality is that the club have a much higher support than the other clubs at this level and must be targeting the Southern League 1st Division at very minimum. Of note is the fact that, despite the incredible success of the Seagulls over the last two seasons, the average attendance for league games at Merthyr this season (428) is higher than for Colwyn Bay (366) in the Conference North. That alone gives an indication of potential.

If the club become successful and start rising up the divisions, there is the possibility of crowds increasing - especially if work is put in to promote the profile of the club. However, these future expectations should still be tempered with current reality. Town got promoted comfortably last season but have found that there are a couple of good teams in the Western Premier League. It takes some time to adjust and the manager must then ascertain who he needs to get out of this division. It may still happen this season, but if it doesn't, I would expect Town to be even stronger next season.

WelshCelt

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Tim Drummond wrote:I thought it was Neil Young who sang:"It's better to burn out than to fade away" on Hey, Hey, My My!
Get past the "Gunter glieben glauchen globen" bit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ww60uHNYRE

Neil Young! You're even more of a hippy that I thought!! Be digging out your Crosby, Stills and Nash tour dates next. And reminding us of the time you rode the Marrakesh Express!

Rust never sleeps wasn't bad.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2