Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review of 2011

+10
CrazyNick
Bristol Martyr
Merthyr Imp
Solihull Martyr
CF48 MARTYR
PeterHarman
Mountain Ash
GordonTheGopher
Dial M For Merthyr Zine
Wandering
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Review of 2011 Empty Review of 2011

Post  Wandering Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:08 am

The following is a tribute to the fantastic year that the club has experienced both on and off the field.

Enjoy! (Make sure that the speakers on you PC/laptop are turned on)

Last edited by Wandering on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Review of 2011 Empty Re: Review of 2011

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:15 am

Absolutely brilliant!

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:54 am

Yes brilliant but better with the sound off. ha ha. Laughing
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:02 am

Excellent
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

http://www.italianfilmreview.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I would have been unable to create the video review without being able to use the excellent photographs of Trust Board member Peter Harman.

Many thanks for creating a digital chronicle of the past twelve months in the life of the football club.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterHarman Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:03 am

Unfortunately a blip today, sick and bad, hope to be back on Saturday.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  CF48 MARTYR Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Good work Wandering, very good, also great pictures from Peter all year

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Yip, very good Rob.

Music a bit modern for you though!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:06 am

Solihull Martyr wrote:Music a bit modern for you though!
The intention of the track is to mirror the 'hectic' period associated with the recent success that the club has enjoyed.

I grew up listening to Cream, Taste, Family, Traffic etc. The Punk era in 1977 changed the music scene overnight and coming so soon after the likes of Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, it was difficult to adapt to the new sound.

Some of it was absolute garbage but over the years I've grown to like the music played by the true Punk bands (who can actually play properly and interpret the mood of the country).

I also thought that the name of the track - White Noise - was appropriate for the Martyrs!

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:32 am

Wandering wrote:
The Punk era in 1977 changed the music scene overnight and coming so soon after the likes of Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, it was difficult to adapt to the new sound.

Personally, I found it difficult to adapt to the new sound of Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 am

Wandering wrote:
The intention of the track is to mirror the 'hectic' period associated with the recent success that the club has enjoyed.

A missed opportunity here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7qwQlORlM

Just sayin' like Smile

Then of course there is always the classics by Sham 69 (the Kids are United), ACAB (Where Have All the Bootboys Gone), Angelic Upstarts (Kids on the Street,) and of I am of the belief that Fugazi "Waiting Room" fits absolutely everything and should be the national anthem, or something. Though I have no idea how the lyrics relate to anything here, hehe.

Anyway I love the video as it is.

Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

Review of 2011 Empty Yes, I grew up listening to similar bands, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin et al. Must say though the music chosen for the video montage suited it.

Post  Bristol Martyr Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:34 am

Wandering wrote:

I grew up listening to Cream, Taste, Family, Traffic etc. The Punk era in 1977 changed the music scene overnight and coming so soon after the likes of Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, it was difficult to adapt to the new sound.

Some of it was absolute garbage but over the years I've grown to like the music played by the true Punk bands (who can actually play properly and interpret the mood of the country).

I also thought that the name of the track - White Noise - was appropriate for the Martyrs!
Bristol Martyr
Bristol Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyNick Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:48 am

Mad Can I just say that I like Country Music, Bluegrass, Americana, Rock A Billy and Western Swing!
CrazyNick
CrazyNick

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 am

CrazyNick wrote: Mad Can I just say that I like Country Music, Bluegrass, Americana, Rock A Billy and Western Swing!
Fine genres all!

I know the marriage of music and football is an essential one.

On match days I have to set off early from here and travel a bit to get to games. The morning ritual involves bacon sarnies, getting scrubed up, opening a Guinness then banging up the music to 11 and blasting out some ska, post punk, soul, etc, anything with a bit of life. Mrs M is usually still in work early on so I get some of my faves in before I get the "can we have some proper music please?" which I think means Jessie J, whoever that may be, but I take it to means turning off The Cramps and instead putting on Searching For The Young Soul Rebels by Dexy's and Special Beat Service. Both those are getting insane amounts of play here on match days.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 am

Have I told you all before (probably, yawn, yawn) that I interviewed Pink Floyd when they played at Merthyr's Castle Cinema?? Just thought I would mention it again!!!
Bob Dylan? He iis still going strong, 30-odd years post-punk, still performing 100 concerts a year world-wide.And he became the oldest person to top the album charts until Vera Lynn got there with a compilation a year or so ago.
Perhaps, Subterranean Homesick Blues was sort of Punk, although it did mirror Chuck Berry's Too Much Monkey Business!
In my opinion, The Kinks gave us a glimpse of Punk with an early single You Really Got Me.
And we have to some extent a successor to Punk Music with USA's Jessie Malin.
Country, rock-a-billy and western swing have an important role in (particularly US) music although there seem to be too many US radio stations playing what they call New Country which is rather samey.
I would recommend The Louvin Brothers (Charlie died last year) from the past and Alabama from the present with regard to country music. Of course, it is also worth delving back into the past for Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Don Gibson etc!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazyNick Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:15 am

Country, rock-a-billy and western swing have an important role in (particularly US) music although there seem to be too many US radio stations playing what they call New Country which is rather samey.
I would recommend The Louvin Brothers (Charlie died last year) from the past and Alabama from the present with regard to country music. Of course, it is also worth delving back into the past for Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Don Gibson etc!![/quote]

I like The Louvin Brothers, Hank Williams, Hank jr. and HankIII. Also Roy Acuff, Red Foley, Merle, Waylon, Willie, The Flying Burrito Brothers and Gramm Parsons and many more.
CrazyNick
CrazyNick

Back to top Go down

Review of 2011 Empty music for roundheads

Post  mandrake Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 am

I would like to recommend Cromwellian Uncle to Martyrs fans as I am a club member and the afforementioned artist! (kind reviews only please) Oliver Cromwell rules.
mandrake
mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  fistral10 Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:11 am

Excellent 3 minutes Rob, and I think it settles beyond any reasonable doubt that the goalposts at BOTH ends of the ground are leaning backwards!!!

fistral10

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Wandering wrote:I grew up listening to Cream, Taste, Family, Traffic etc.
Yeah, right. I thought you were on first-name terms with Mozart! Actually my grandfather used to tell me about that lot! To be fair, Badge is pretty special.
Bristol Martyr wrote:Yes, I grew up listening to similar bands, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin et al.
Zep good - what about Deep Purple, Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, etc?
Merthyr Imp wrote:Personally, I found it difficult to adapt to the new sound of Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell.
Me - I had you down as a King Crimson man!
Tim Drummond wrote:Have I told you all before (probably, yawn, yawn) that I interviewed Pink Floyd when they played at Merthyr's Castle Cinema??
No. And please dont! I'd have put you more an ELP fan myself - outside "Fanfare for the Common Man" their stuff was turgid!
[quote="Tim Drummond"]In my opinion, The Kinks gave us a glimpse of Punk with an early single You Really Got Me.[quote]No chance. Have you head the Van Halen version from the debut VH1? Surely one of the top 10 albums of all time.

What a bunch of old hippies y'all are!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:
Merthyr Imp wrote:Personally, I found it difficult to adapt to the new sound of Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell.
Me - I had you down as a King Crimson man!

Who's he?

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:57 am

fistral10 wrote:Excellent 3 minutes Rob, and I think it settles beyond any reasonable doubt that the goalposts at BOTH ends of the ground are leaning backwards!!!
Can I assume that you brother has been able to work out how to use the calibrated laser theodolite that I sent him for Christmas!!

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  fistral10 Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:56 am

No need to, the naked eye has given us enough proof over the past few years!

fistral10

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:56 am

Wandering may like to know of a CD by Roger Chapman (Family) called Live Maybe The Last Time, £9.99. Available from Spin CDs PO Box 1233 Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 2FD, postage free.
Solihull, I did see Emerson, Lake and Palmer and agree with your comments (I hated the Pomp Rock of the 70s, Genesis, Yes etc).
I did buy the triple album of ELP, mainly for Aaron Copland's Fanfare For The Common Man but never played it a lot. And I did buy, albeit second-hand, their version of Mussgorsky's Pictures At An Exhibition, also not played very often!!!
I did buy a King Crimson (Robert Fripp) LP too but agan only because it was in a sale!!
Van Halen!!! What about Ted Nugent!!!
I hated the Seventies!!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Review of 2011 Empty 70's rock

Post  Bristol Martyr Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:34 am

Tim Drummond wrote:Wandering may like to know of a CD by Roger Chapman (Family) called Live Maybe The Last Time, £9.99. Available from Spin CDs PO Box 1233 Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 2FD, postage free.
Solihull, I did see Emerson, Lake and Palmer and agree with your comments (I hated the Pomp Rock of the 70s, Genesis, Yes etc).
I did buy the triple album of ELP, mainly for Aaron Copland's Fanfare For The Common Man but never played it a lot. And I did buy, albeit second-hand, their version of Mussgorsky's Pictures At An Exhibition, also not played very often!!!
I did buy a King Crimson (Robert Fripp) LP too but agan only because it was in a sale!!
Van Halen!!! What about Ted Nugent!!!
I hated the Seventies!!!

Van Halen's first album is one of the great debut albums of all time. Saw them in Bristol supporting Black Sabbath and they blew Sabbath offstage. Ted Nugent is a moron but some of his music is great.
Bristol Martyr
Bristol Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Tim Drummond wrote:Van Halen!!! What about Ted Nugent!!!
Uncle Ted! The Motor City Madman! Wang dang sweet poontang, now you're talking!! "Double Live Gonzo" an absolute classic. Whats that quote on it? "If anyone wants to get mellow they can get the **** outta here..."! Priceless.Bought "Intensities in Ten Cities" in Hong Kong: "Put up or Shut up" still remains a favourite to this day.
Bristol Martyr wrote:Van Halen's first album is one of the great debut albums of all time. Saw them in Bristol supporting Black Sabbath and they blew Sabbath offstage.
Yip, me too. They were the dogs watsits with Dave Lee Roth fronting. All went wrong when Sammy Hagar took over - he should have stuck with Montrose. Even when Roth came back it wasn't the same.... And I maintain Mötley Crüe would never have made it without them...
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum