Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Walton Casuals

+2
scamp
Solihull Martyr
6 posters

Go down

MERTHYR v Walton Casuals Empty MERTHYR v Walton Casuals

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 am

Team:
Webb
Harris Evans Foulston
Davies Veale Lewis Jenkins
Traylor Prosser Jones

Subs:
Patten Wright Swallow Morgan Meechan
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Walton Casuals Empty Re: MERTHYR v Walton Casuals

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:20 am

1 dpwn 17 minutes. Waltons first attack
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 am

2 down 35 minutes. Shambolic defending.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:48 am

2 down 35 minutes. Shambolic defending.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 am

1-2 Foulston with a consolation goal in injury time.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 am

F/t 1-2. Walton stay up!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:28 am

Absolutely disgusting display,team selection rather strange two centre backs on the bench and we start with two mid fielders in defence.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Totally agree... I’m not having the excuse for injuries ‘again’ this year. Every club has that issue during the season and should be prepared. In my opinion, Gavin has played safe with his squad and used individuals randomly. MacDonnell came back a short while ago, played once and hasn’t been seen since. Patten returned, was made Captain for two games and the same happened to him. Again with Foulston. Played the last couple, after missing the last six. If they’re injured, announce it. Gavin has also been too hasty in chopping and changing the forward line. I could go on.... Honestly, every time I go and watch a game, (home or away) I need a photo fit for player recognition. As far as football news updates throughout week are concerned, that’s a joke. Although, we have been informed of players leaving. (Not a good sign.) I never know from one week to the next on player availability and I find that unfair on paying fans. We’ve lost more games than won, which hasn’t happened for a number of seasons and survived by just five points. We’ve still had plenty of experience on the field to have done much better. So, both the Management and players, need to question themselves after that really poor season. The lack of any money from disastrous and embarrassing exits from cup competitions, lies with them too.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Have to agree with the above posts.This is the first time I have walked out of a game before the end and as a result missed the goal.
Some of the players signed by gavin this season are simply not good enough for this league suppose finances play a big part.
I agree totally with the above posts .I am satisfied we managed to stay in this league at one time I thought we were heading for the trap door
The only news we have from the club is from those supporters doing charity work for other sources outside the club.
Perhaps gavin has a soft spot for Walton and decided not to play his centre halves bringing on Jarrad did improve things and looked fully fit.
The only bright spot this season is our young goalkeeper who is a credit to the club though there are rumours he is on his way to Swansea

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  OWNES1 Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:43 pm

As ever when football does not go as expected, we are all managers and when it does we are all supporters. It was a disappointing performance, it was a nothing game for us and a do or die game for Walton. Ther is always next season and I will be there.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Everyone has an opinion and it’s good to have a Forum, as to discuss with others. Unfortunately, we don’t get the answers off the right people, which is frustrating. Of course we’ll be there next season but, we can’t go around wearing rose tinted spectacles all the time. It’s not that long ago, we were getting excited about being in a play off position. (There was even the question of ‘can we afford to go up?) So, we should be questioning ‘some dubious decisions,’ without any information coming from HQ. As regards lack of funding and that looks likely to be the case with many clubs, with league status or not, perhaps it’s worth another look at leaving the English set up? What more is there to gain staying in, financially or otherwise?

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Walton Casuals Empty Merthyr v Walton Casuals

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Re Kyle Patten, he was suspended for three games after being given a red card at the end of the Hartley Wintney match.
McDonnell returned at Beaconsfield. I don't know if he is fully fit and is not being risked! He was there today but not in the squad. Patten was on the bench.
Foulston has also been out with injuries as well as playing for Wales,
Injury problems in defence have meant midfield players at the back in recent matches, which makes it difficult.
Connor Young was at today's game. We have been told he has left the club. I understand he is going to Australia!
Information as to injuries and unavailability would be useful to fans, some of whom say they don't really know who some of the players are when they see them on the field.
Of course, years ago, newspapers gave fans info, with pictures of players. Those days have gone!
I don't think there will be any more money to strengthen the team next season. The club is still in debt. Stability is needed at present. Although fans seek promotion, the club is not geared up to it at the moment however much work is done on and off the field. Re going into the Welsh system, would this mean starting in Welsh League Div 3?? If we wanted to, we couldn't go straight into the Welsh Premiership as I understand a club must have been debt-free for two years and must pay a £50,000 bond.However, every year the club must seek permission from the Welsh FA and S Wales FA to play in the English set-up.
Whatever the situation, the loss of 34 points at home has been disappointing. The continuing presence of the loyal fans is to be commended. But the club need more fans, and they will come only when the football attracts them!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Walton Casuals Empty Merthyr v Walton Casuals

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:48 pm

I wouldn't say it was a nothing game for Merthyr. It would have been good to have ended the season with a victory, rather than making it 34 points dropped at home this term.
I bet Basingstoke won't be happy with Merthyr,the way Walton eased to a win!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:38 pm

Thank you for some information. Connor Young at the game, not in the squad but, leaving for Australia? Or perhaps being informed, not needed today? You’re right Tim, there ishould be no game labelled as ‘a nothing game.’ But unfortunately, we’ve seen a few of them, during our 34 dropped home points and many away, distributed to teams this season. Who knows what was behind that? An apology from the management after so many horrendous performances, may have softened the blow a little but, I’m starting to resemble Gavin and Co. to a couple clams. Gavin may have been a decent player in his day but, in my opinion, his all round management skills need to be broadened. He must be ‘content’ with the wage he is receiving, because he announced his contract extension recently. How do you expect more people through the turnstiles with comments like, ‘we’re not geared up yet for the next step?’

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:03 pm

Just one more thing, before my end of the seasonI rant is over...... It is quicker these days, to download players pictures and information to mobile devices, than waiting for a newspaper to circulate..

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:20 am

How can you say it was a nothing game,yes if you say we are safe from relegation and not involved in the play offs then I agree.But let's look at the broader picture like the people who paid their money at the gate then a fifty fifty ticket then a raffle, surely those people deserve better than it's just a nothing game.I along with others will be there next season because we love our club but about the one's that don't attend regularly what do they think,I don't like criticising players but some on that pitch Saturday just didn't want to know.

rustic

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Walton Casuals Empty merthyr v Walton Casuals

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 am

A post above acknowledges it's been " a really poor season" (although they were highlights,of course) and then asks how can the club expect more through the turnstiles with the comment that the club are not "geared up" for the next level!
Even the most loyal supporter must realise that the club must be run as a business and it is going to take a while if stability is achieved.
More supporters would help but patience is needed by them. If a club finished just five points away from relegation and in debt by around £50,000 or more (see the figures from the club) they cannot immediately be geared up to climb the pyramid without incurring further debts.
Experienced players who the club might seek if promotion happens, would probably want double or more the wages the club can at present afford.
And as documented, in a few years Merthyr Town FC will need a new pitch (cost about £150,000) and will face a rent to the council (as was agreed) of £30,000 a year.It's a big task ahead. People are working hard for the club but stability takes time. And would promotion mean increased gates oe just more expenditure, bearing in mind admission prices would have to rise too, and Merthyr is not seen as an affluent area?
It's not a question of being pessimistic but realistic. The heart must not rule the head.Battle on economically.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:26 am

Not very good reading but unfortunately totally correct.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down