Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players Depart

+11
tontegmartyr
GordonTheGopher
DowlaisBoy
Old Sod
Barneyboy
geronimo74
rustic
douggolfer
scamp
Merthyr Imp
Cyfarthfa
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Players Depart Empty Players Depart

Post  Cyfarthfa Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:06 am

Heard today Scott Barrow & Oliver Davies have left the Club. That's 3 quality players who have departed, let's hope for some good news soon!!!

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Players Depart Empty Re: Players Depart

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:50 am

No surprise about Scott Barrow, with the statement that he's joining a full-time club. I think the club did well to retain his services for as long as they did.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 am

Not surprised that Scott barrow is leaving but deeply shocked about losing the goalkeeper.Like imp says we now to date lost three quality players..It is now time for money to be channeled into the playing side as when I see what some of the administration staff if true are earning it is mouth watering What I would like to know is does the elected board have the main say in distribution of funds from the pitch and income from Webly roman bar etc

Last edited by scamp on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:02 am

Best of luck with that one .

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 am

Enough chiefs now what about some Indians,can you help us Geronimo.????

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  geronimo74 Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 am

I m as mystified as the rest of this forum as to what direction this club is taking....,

geronimo74

Back to top Go down

Post  Barneyboy Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

When you have a good winning team then everything falls in place,when you don't you have trouble.i would love to know what the club are paying their staff to run the place.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I don't actually know where Scott & Ollie are going but I am confident that they have gone upto a higher level of football and we can't begrudge them that. In these 2 cases it's not about money but progression as they are both young and want to play at the highest level they can as opposed to the other departures where they've either gone sideways or backwards.

The playing budget has increased by 42% over the last few seasons and the club is trying to devote as much cash as possible into the playing side. Without administrative/catering etc. staff the club could not function off the field to provide the money needed to put a team on the pitch and as a matter of interest how do you expect the club to run its off pitch activities without staff?
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  DowlaisBoy Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Its june 21st, Think people need to relax with regards to new players, Give them time.

DowlaisBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:12 am

Yep it is only June, that doesn't mean we should not be worried, plays are going the wrong way,so June,July, August
is not the matter here,the worry is we are losing players if its to higher pay offers or full time positions we are leaking players !!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 am

The date is irrelevant we have friendlies in July so it would be nice to see some signings,as far as we know at the moment we have two named ,what about the remainder of last season's squad news of signings stimulates interest sells season tickets etc..

Last edited by rustic on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:51 am

Keeper Ollver Davies has joined Hereford. Mad

Just been posted on Bulls News.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 am

Looking back at a year ago, no new players at all joined the club until after the pre-season friendlies started. Two of them were to play a significant part in the season - Curtis McDonald, joined on 4th July, and Scott Barrow, who didn't sign until 4th August. The other three new players who joined, presumably as a result of their performances in the friendly matches were Shane Parry, Curtis Hutson and Ben Watkins.

If we look at two years ago, three players joined during the month of June - Chris Hugh, Ashley Evans and Kyle Patten. But it was only after the commencement of the friendly matches that Rhys Baggridge, Elliot Scotcher and Jaye Bowen were signed on.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  tontegmartyr Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:50 am

GordonTheGopher wrote:Keeper Ollver Davies has joined Hereford. Mad

Just been posted on Bulls News.

Disappointed to see Olly go especially as it's not a step up from where we are, money obviously talks. Crying or Very sad

tontegmartyr

Back to top Go down

Players Depart Empty Dearly Departed

Post  Boz1964 Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:29 am

There seems to be a lot of disappointment around after the news of departures from last season's squad- with Hereford doing what Chelsea, Man United and other big fish have done over the years to their 'minnow' rivals by poaching talent just purely to place them on the bench or disrupt other teams.

But it's not all doom and gloom....at our level mercenaries will only perform as well as they pay motivates them.

I'd like to think that with the arrival of Fleetwood and Morgan and of course return of the Merthyr Messi from the wilderness of the treatment bench after two years is an exciting prospect in itself.

As well as our loyalists I am sure that Gavin has sufficient contacts after his time at much higher level and will use that experience to unearth a diamond or two from the rough.

Where did Webley or Georgie come from?

We have a big enough catchment area and enough proud Welshmen, who want to represent their Country ' In Europe' and are patriotic enough to want to show those across the border that Merthyr Town is still a bastion of great football and one of the top Non- League clubs around.

Whilst I wish both former players well- as they will be missed - it is a team game and not about ' gel-ing' ( and I am not talking about Brylcream or Dove Care either) but as one changing room door closes another opens and a club our size needs to promote from within.

If nothing else should make the Hereford Derby a firey classic this season....

I know who my Merthyr money will be on - the backs of our players jersey.

Boz

Last edited by Boz1964 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : More Typos than a Blood Bank)
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Players Depart Empty Dearly departed

Post  Barneyboy Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Webley and ceri were valley boys who were discovered by scouts?
No scouting,no discovering,no hidden gems.
So much has been about the ground redevelopment and improvements with very little about bring newly discovered talents coming through.
We need to go back and relook at the basic infrastructure of bringing talent through and how we find talent in the first place.
No good having a new ground and new facilities if you don't have the team to draw in the crowd.
Just my own views

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm

That is what this forum is about opinions.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 am

scamp wrote:Not surprised that Scott barrow is leaving but deeply shocked about losing the goalkeeper.Like imp says we now to date lost three quality players..It is now time for money to be channeled into the playing side as when I see what some of the administration staff if true are earning it is mouth watering What I would like to know is does the elected board have the main say in distribution of funds from the pitch and income from Webly roman bar etc

Did say best of luck getting a answer to that question!! As far as I can see the CEO set the budget I'm assuming
the board would have ratified and excepted the figure, if the loss of playing staff is down to budget then I don't think there's much we can do,yes money is a big attraction ,there is only so much Gav can achieve if funds are limited .

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 am

Old Sod wrote:
 Without administrative/catering etc. staff the club could not function off the field to provide the money needed to put a team on the pitch and as a matter of interest how do you expect the club to run its off pitch activities without staff?

Best of luck with that one.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:20 pm

in case anyone's not aware, Scott Barrow has joined National League side Gateshead:

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/transfers/gateshead-find-new-left-back-wales/
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Players Depart Empty Barrow on March to Yarrow

Post  Boz1964 Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Really sad to see Scott Barrow leave the Club....but always felt he was of a far greater standard than our current level of football....he was loyal to the side too....seeing out the season despite other playing offers- as he was part of the team ....not many have such integrity....and for that I wish him every success....Gateshead have a fine capture....he may have only been with us for one season but he he was quality and a pleasure to watch....a true Martyr....Boz

Last edited by Boz1964 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Uncharacteristic errors)
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Players Depart Empty Players depart

Post  Barneyboy Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Sad to see Scott go,cracking player and a true gentleman.wish him all the best for the future.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:47 am

Spot on Boz..

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:01 am

O .S. could you please confirm or deny that it is now seven players have left the club.thank you.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:31 pm

rustic wrote:O .S. could you please confirm or deny that it is now seven players have left the club.thank you.

As far as I'm aware the players that have left are Bull, Reffell, McLaggon, Barrow & O Davies. I honestly don't know of anymore but training starts tomorrow evening so we'll see who is there.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum