Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3G and the Conference

+15
CF48 MARTYR
Solihull Martyr
Benji
Martyr Weaver
Tim Drummond
Wandering
Markymark88
Boz1964
timshorts
Risca Martyr
WSCEvans
Dial M For Merthyr Zine
Nubs
Old Sod
Merthyr Imp
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

3G and the Conference - Page 2 Empty Re:- 3G and the Conference

Post  Martyr Weaver Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:33 am

It will be interesting to see what happens with Maidstone at the end of the Season, should they win the Ryman Premier. Hopefully if promotion is not granted to them on the grounds of their playing surface, they will then get the backing from the 3G manufacturers, etc, to take the Conference to court and win their battle.

Unfortunately although they are top of the Ryman at the moment, several teams have games in hand over them, and in particular Wealdstone in third place who are four games behind; were Wealdstone to win all four games, then they could go seven points clear at the top of the league.

From our point of view, it would be beneficial for us if Maidstone were to win their league, and get the matter of 3G playing surfaces resolved once and for all. If a court were to rule in favour of the artificial surface, then at least we would know our long term progression is attainable; but should the case go against the 3G surface, then I would think it woud be off the agenda for at least another ten years, and the Southern League Premier division would be the best level we could attain.

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

3G and the Conference - Page 2 Empty Re: 3G and the Conference

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:48 am

Martyr Weaver wrote:should the case go against the 3G surface, then I would think it woud be off the agenda for at least another ten years,

I'm not so sure it would be that long given the movement on it there's been over the past few years - e.g that until a year or two ago it wasn't allowed in ANY rounds of the FA Cup.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Martyr Weaver Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:55 am

The FA have made it clear that they are infavour of increased use of 3G surfaces, and as they are in control of the FA Cup, it was a natural step forwards to allow the use of 3G in the qualifying rounds of the Cup. The problem would come if they wanted to allow 3G through all rounds of the FA Cup; many top clubs dont take the FA Cup seriously as it is, and have a take it or leave it attitude to the Cup; they put out week teams, usually made up of fringe players, and those returning after injury. The FA wont want to diminish the cup still further by upsetting the large clubs, and introducing 3G surfaces past the qualifying rounds of the cup; then having the Premier clubs, and even those of the Championship put out their full reserve teams.

The various leagues guard jealously their control over the administration of their leagues, and I would think that if the Conference were to win a court case allowing them to prevent 3G surfaces; I do believe it would then take a large consensus of Conference clubs to put forward a motion, before it would appear on their agenda again. One way or another, I think that we need to get this matter setled once and for all.

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Benji Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:34 am

As ambassadors for the 3G surface perhaps we could invite clubs from the Conference leagues to play us in the summer, treat them to some football on 3G. Not sure of any individual clubs view on 3G but clubs within a reasonable travelling distance for pre season friendlies could include - Hereford, Kidderminster, Forest Green, Bath, Weston Super Mare, Worcester, Gloucester, Hednesford, Solihull. Maybe Wrexham and Colwyn Bay would fancy travelling south for a game.
Benji
Benji

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:26 am

I do think that within a few seasons 3G will be allowed into conference and South/North. Its ok to host world cup matches on and euro qualifiers only a matter of time until its accepted. The Dorchester fans we met were fully in favour of it and im sure lost income for many clubs is extremely damaging. The community club now has to be the model blueprint of the future. I must say the standard of football we witnessed at Farnborough was quite poor and this current Merthyr Team would compete in that league on the basis of what we saw granted a basement battle but 2 divisions higher. Farnborough ground looked to have a decent capacity but only 292 there. One stand in fact looked like it could hold thousands. Here is a photo I snapped.

3G and the Conference - Page 2 <a href=3G and the Conference - Page 2 Sam_0011" />
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Maidstone say they make up to £200,000 a year by hiring out their 3G pitch.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

3G and the Conference - Page 2 Empty Re: 3G And The Conference

Post  Martyr Weaver Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:29 am

I think thats a very good idea by Benji, to invite Conference clubs like Hereford, Wrexham, Bath, etc; to play pre-season friendlies at the Park, and if other teams like Maidstone and TNS were to do the same, then I think in time, and with more experience of these surfaces there could be an acceptance by Conference clubs. I still think that a court case by Maidstone would at least present a legal definition of the situation, and if sucessful the FA can then use that to move towards allowing, and encouraging the use of 3G surfaces in all rounds of the FA Cup. This is the sort of problem that could be sorted by the courts in the near future, or it could rumble on for another ten years.

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Indeed.

Let me know if you want me to mention it to Solihull Moors.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:31 pm

MAIDSTONE UNITED THREATEN LEGAL ACTION OVER 3G PITCHES
From www.footballeconomy.com

One-time Football League club and Ryman Premier league leaders Maidstone
United are contemplating legal action after the Football Conference voted
not to permit 3G pitches in the top two tiers of the non-League system. The
proposal to allow the synthetic surface was defeated by 21 votes to 11.

Lawyers have apparently indicated that they have a strong case given that 3G
pitches are used for Champions League and World Cup Qualifying fixtures.
However, this does not mean that all Leagues are obliged to use them. One
suspects that the issue is not the safety or suitability of the pitches, but
a concern that they might give a home side familiar with them an advantage.

Football also tends to be resistant to technological innovations.
Floodlights, admittedly primitive ones, were first used in the Victorian era
and were then not permitted again until the 1950s. It took a long time for
goal-line technology to be introduced in the Premier League, despite its
evident reliability and usefulness. Maidstone also argue that the voting at
the meeting was flawed with clubs in the second tier given one vote for
every four clubs. However, it is not clear that this was a breach of the
rules or that it is inherently unreasonable that tier-one clubs should be
given a bigger say. Maidstone United were not allowed to attend, but this
particular decision does not appear to be the subject of a challenge. It is
also argued that no facts and figures were provided to clubs attending.

Of course, Maidstone do not want to end up in court, but want to persuade
the Conference to re-consider the decision. Since building the Gallagher
Stadium and returning to the Kent county town, crowds have increased to an
average of 2000. They have also made up to GBP200,000 a year by hiring out
their all-weather home.

__._,_.___

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  CF48 MARTYR Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:25 am

I think inevitably this matter / challenge will end up in the courts.

Unfortunatly the confrence failed to support this rule change and failed to support the view of the Football Association in the wider use of 3g pitches at all levels.

The pitches are sanctioned by the football associations in Wales, Scotland & Irleand so why not England.

Maybe I/we wouldnt be as committed to this subject/debate if we still had a grass surface, and beacuse we have a 3g pitch doesnt mean we demand or have any devine right for a rule change, but surely for the long term development and sustainablity of players, football clubs, academies and their communities this is the way forward, unfortunately the traditionalist view of "well I prefer grass" holds little substance as a vote against in my view.

The confrence has gained great strides in my view over the many years, however as from this vote against the use of 3g pitches, the confrence has started to go backwards and maybe it considers itself to be the new 4th division (league 3), instead of the premier (fit for purpose) head non league football in England...

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 am

I think that Maidstone would prefer to continue a conciliatory dialogue with the Conference Board, who in their defence will say that it was the Member Clubs who voted against the motion not the Board themselves.

Merthyr Imp wrote:Interesting to note the following in that FA document:-

'The FA is considering  changing the standard code of rules so that leagues would not be allowed to refuse the use of 3G Football Turf pitches provided they meet the required performance standards. More information on this matter will be provided and clubs and leagues informed in due course.'
Hopefully, the Football League will step in and force this change through. The Conference Board can then say to their Member clubs (and those clubs in the Football League) that it was the FA that changed the rules not the Conference Board.

Perhaps the term 'firmly sitting on the fence' could be applied to the Conference Board!

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:50 am

Some way off the Conference, but another 3G pitch is planned here:

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=98189
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

3G and the Conference - Page 2 Empty Re: 3G And The Conference.

Post  Martyr Weaver Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 am

I believe that even though the Football Association are in favour of 3G pitches, the Football League Chairmen, and also the Conference Chaimen are going to be dead against allowing these surfaces, and will be so for a very long time. One change possible is that in a few years time, (and it will probably take a few years at the rate the Football Authorities work) they will allow the approved 3G surfaces to be used in all rounds of the FA Cup. This will still mean that there will be no ruling for the Premier, Football or Conference Leagues, and as no club at Conference level would have a 3G surface, then it would be a rare event for teams from the lower divisions to progress that far.

As Maidstone are a fairly well supported club, they will have the ambition to progress through the pyramid, and the only way they will be able to do so, is if they take court action, (even though they would not wish to do so). There is no way that they will be able to convince the Conference clubs to capitulate on this voluntarily. The manufactures and installers of these surfaces may be preparred to promote and finance such an action, as victory would be financially greatly beneficial to them. (Watch this space, if Maidstone win their league!).

Last edited by Martyr Weaver on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Martyr Weaver wrote:There is no way that they will be able to convince the Conference clubs to capitulate on this voluntarily.
Based on the outcome of the voting on the motion at the Conference EGM earlier this week a ratio of 50% of the Conference South and North Clubs actually voted in favour of allowing the use of 3G pitches.

Just under 30% of the Conference national sides also voted in favour of the motion.

Perhaps it's not as far away as everyone thinks!

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:19 pm

A statement here from Maidstone:

http://www.maidstoneunited.co.uk/2014/02/3g-statement/

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

3G and the Conference - Page 2 Empty Re-3G AND THE CONFERENCE.

Post  Martyr Weaver Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:59 am

I note the statement by Maidstone Directors, as highlighted by Merthyr Imp. If The Conference do not respond favourably, then Maidstone's Directors intend to protect the clubs interests by Persuing Legal Proceedings. A situation that they regret very much, and it could cost the Conference clubs substantially; they conclude by saying the ball is now in the Conference Court! If you are running a sucessful business, then you cannot plan on what might or may happen in years to come, so it is understandable that Maidstone will take the matter further, and good luck to them!

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:37 pm

A drip will become a trickle then a gush then a flood...as the 3G phenomena takes hold grass will go the way of the Betamax video recorder or 45 vinyl single records....everything changes including Chairmen and Association members and eventually the powers that be not be able to hold back the flood ....as for the argument that it s an advantage what are Man City and Chelsea's multi million shekels and roubles?.....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Article by Jamie Redknapp in this morning's Daily Mail:-

Time to banish muddy pitches
"I think I speak on behalf of every parent by saying it is time to introduce more artificial pitches in this country.
For the past few weeks, kids playing football and rugby have had their games cancelled because grass pitches cannot handle the rain.
I remember going to Russia v England a few years back and criticising the artificial pitch, but the technology has come on in leaps and bounds.
The 3G and 4G pitches on offer are excellent and we need more. It’s what they have in Germany and Spain and we need the same facilities if we want to develop our young players."

Nice to read that somebody high up in the game thinks artificial pitches are the way forward.
We can only live in hope that the "powers that be" in the leagues above us come to their senses and allow 3G and 4G pitches in the very near future. farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:25 pm

4mad.anubis wrote:Article by Jamie Redknapp in this morning's Daily Mail:-

Time to banish muddy pitches
"I think I speak on behalf of every parent by saying it is time to introduce more artificial pitches in this country.
For the past few weeks, kids playing football and rugby have had their games cancelled because grass pitches cannot handle the rain.
I remember going to Russia v England a few years back and criticising the artificial pitch, but the technology has come on in leaps and bounds.
The 3G and 4G pitches on offer are excellent and we need more. It’s what they have in Germany and Spain and we need the same facilities if we want to develop our young players."

Nice to read that somebody high up in the game thinks artificial pitches are the way forward.
We can only live in hope that the "powers that be" in the leagues above us come to their senses and allow 3G and 4G pitches in the very near future. farao

Newport county for example havent played a home game for months losing around 200k apparantly. Makes sense for the 3g to be introduced at some stage, We can but hope
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Ave a word wiv arri he'll sort it out...best way to elp foota is to take the bungs outta the beautiful game that way the pitches can drain freely...Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 am

Maidstone hot up 3G War
Submitted by WG on Tue, 11/02/2014 - 08:41

The Football Conference could face a big legal bill as Maidstone United step up their battle to be allowed to play on a 3G pitch next year. They are currently top of the Ryman Premier, with financially challenged Dulwich Hamlet on the same number of points.

There is something of a chicken game in the threats of legal action as Maidstone would prefer to settle out of court. Conference chairman Brian Lee has used the pejorative term 'blackmail'. Anyone is entitled to take legal action if they think they have a case, although I am not convinced that the Maidstone case is that strong.

The fact that such pitches have been used in Champions League matches is irrelevant as each competition is to some extent an autonomous entity. They are, of course, bound by the rules of the Football Association but, as far as I know, the football authorities have no intention of instructing leagues to accept such pitches.

The main complaint of Maidstone United is that the voting process is flawed. It is clearly set out in the Articles of Association under which the Football Conference operates as a limited company. It is weighted in favour of the premier level clubs, but that is not inherently unreasonable. In any case, even if there had been one club, one vote, the result would still have been 26 in favour of allowing 3G pitches and 42 against.

However, if there is a lengthy court case, each club could have to pay thousands of pounds in costs and that could be the final blow for struggling clubs such as Hyde. In a 2004 action clubs were faced with a bill of £35,000 each before the FA stepped in to bail them out,

Many clubs don't want these pitches because they consider it could give an unfair advantage to the home sides used to playing on them. A possible compromise might be to allow a one year experiment to see if this was the case.

The Conference recently lost their sponsor after money transfer company Skrill activated a break clause in their contract. They are hopeful that coverage of matches on BT Sport will help them to find a replacement

Taken from Football Economy website

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 am

LEWES FC WEBSITE ARTICLE

3G Launch meeting – THIS Wednesday at the Pan
February 11, 2014

Meeting date: Wednesday 12th February in the Rook Inn (at Lewes FC home ground). Begins at 7:30pm – bar open.

At the end of last year, we announced our exciting plans for a significant regeneration of the Dripping Pan and its facilities. The response to these plans has been extremely positive, both from local people and also national organisations who we need to help us fund the whole project.

Things are moving on apace now and we want to give you some more details about Phase 1 of the scheme which involves building a new 3G or 4G pitch as well as constructing a new building that will replace the existing portacabin and house changing rooms and a much larger cafe/bar area. Around half of the cost of this phase will hopefully be met by grants, so this will still leave the club a certain amount that it needs to raise too. In order to be able to raise the necessary funds, we need to make some changes to the club’s rules to enable us to raise the necessary funds. Because there’s such a big threshold needed to approve any changes to our rules, we’ll be doing a ballot of all members which will open the next day, so this meeting will be an opportunity to ask any questions of the club and our advisors about these new rules.

At this special launch meeting, we will talk about the club’s plans for the new 3G pitch, explain the Rule changes (and the online vote that will then take place) and tell you about the Special Investment Share scheme that will launch soon to help fund the project.

We’d appreciate a big turn-out for this meeting, but if you can’t make it, don’t worry, we’ll be emailing out more details as well.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 am

Maidstone United website article

Maidstone United’s Gallagher Stadium could be hosting its first FA Vase match this weekend.

The club have offered use of the stadium to former landlords Ashford United and their opponents Hanwell Town to play an FA Vase Fourth Round match, if tomorrow’s sixth attempt is unsuccessful.

The tie, which was originally scheduled on 18 January, was postponed three times at the west London club before it was switched to Kent where a waterlogged pitch at The Homelands prevented the game going ahead last Saturday and this Tuesday.

With heavy rain falling on the county over the next 48 hours, it looks likely that tomorrow’s match will fall foul of the weather too. If that happens, the Gallagher Stadium will host the game this Saturday, kick off 15:00.

Maidstone United chief executive Bill Williams said: “We are delighted to help our former landlords by offering use of the Gallagher Stadium for this FA Vase tie. It’s another opportunity to showcase our facilities and the benefits of 3G pitches, which will guarantee these two teams a game after several aborted attempts.”

The winners will play Ampthill Town in the fifth round and collect £2,000 in prize money.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Markymark88 Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:18 am

The Times: pbs.twimg.com/media/BgWjJiYIMAE4gRN.jpg
Markymark88
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Markymark88 wrote:The Times: pbs.twimg.com/media/BgWjJiYIMAE4gRN.jpg

Couldn't agree more with the author. Does anybody have a link to the original article?
Have tried The Times website, but it's subscription only. farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum