Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Winchester

+13
MattMartyr87
GordonTheGopher
Tim Drummond
rustic
WSCEvans
hirwaunman
Royston Rogers
Old Sod
Boz1964
Merthyr Imp
Markymark88
cliffyboy
Solihull Martyr
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

MERTHYR v Winchester - Page 3 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Winchester

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:17 am

Yes, Merthyr had to do a professional job and there was only going to be one result from the kick-off.But lots of other clubs have had similar problems and have bounced back.
That's it, Bluebird, keep buying the programme etc; it's all cash for the club, particularly as all the work done on it is voluntary and there are no costs to pay out so it's all profit.
The club needs a financial cushion throughout the close season after blows suffered in various avenues which have resulted in dwindling reserves.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Winchester - Page 3 Empty MERTHYR v Winchester

Post  CF48 MARTYR Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 am

I would like to echo the sentiments paid to Winchester City's young squad, and wish them as a club all the best in their survival bid, after all weve been there all to often and its horrible.

Those youngstars deserve massive credit for sticking at it and helping Winchester to acheive its immediate fooball goal in seeing the seasons fixtures out, yes some of them are out of thier depth at this level thats obvious but lets not forget their goals, even if they are far less glamourous than those challenging for honours are just as important to that football club, its supporters and its community as it is to ours.

Onto the game and a comfortable win, it was good to see the smiles on the faces of supporters & players after the Taunton away win on Thursday and Saturdays reault after a poor run of results from the Martyrs.

Very hard to pick man of the match particularly given the one sided nature of the game but I thought Ryan Newman good and for me having him fit and in form will be vitally important to our play off ambitions.

Was a nice touch to see so many Martyrs fans (after congratulating the Town) applauding the efforts of the Winchester lads, but we were a bit ruthless on Saturday and some of the quality of our goals would have troubled defences alot higher than this division thats for sure.

UP THE TOWN...!!!!

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Winchester - Page 3 Empty Merthyr v Winchester

Post  Boz1964 Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 am

I agree with the moral majority I don't want to see other clubs struggling like Winchester but I hope they have as good a board, supporters, players and council that we are blessed with in our town.

Those youngsters deserved the round of applause they were given by our fans just for competing. They were a credit to the club....and should hold their heads up high for future matches.

It was great though to see merthyr back to their best...we all knew this was coming....someone was overdue a hammering and agree with the last contributor some of the goals were unstoppable...let's hope Didcot get a taste of the same medicine tomorrow night..up the town...boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Just read this on the Winchester Forum -

I am pleased to say that I have just had a call from Winchester City Council, who have confirmed that subject to some formalities being completed, the Club will be permitted to use the Ground for the remainder of the season, whilst we attempt to negotiate a new Lease for the re-formed Members Club. The Council have also agreed to ensure that the Electricity is reconnected at the earliest possible opportunity.

We should offer our thanks to Sue Grant and Steve Tilbury from Winchester City Council, along with Steve Brine ( our local MP) - they have all been as helpful and sympathetic as they possibly could be.

It is now our task to formulate a sustainable business plan to present to the Council. That process will start on Wednesday - when hopefully we can agree a draft Constitution, and elect Officers to guide us through the process.

We will also be seeking volunteers to help prepare the ground and clubhouse for home games on Saturday and next Tuesday. Anybody available on Friday and/or Saturday morning, will be more than welcomed at the Ground. More details at the meeting on Wednesday.

So, all in all, a positive move forward. Please help us to continue that progress by joining us at the Worthies Sports Club on Wednesday (10th) starting at 7.30pm.

Your Club needs you!!
Link to Post - Back to Top IP: Logged
[Search This Thread]

Read more: http://wcfcfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1185#ixzz2PtmbE1BL

Good news from Winchester and I wish them luck.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Winchester hold an important meeting tonight. They plan free admission to their match on Saturday to try and renew interest in the club.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 pm

They will now be known as Winchester City Community Football Club. The lease has been handed back to the city council who will allow the remainder of this season's home game to be played there with a view to renegotiating a new lease.
Power will be restored to the ground and volunteers are asked to help tomorrow and Saturday to prepare the stadium for the visit of Bridgwater. Admission will be free.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Only five of the Winchester squad who played at Merthyr played today as they lost 3-1 at home to Bridgwater.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Maesyfed Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm

The latest from Winchester is that they'll be joining Sholing in the Wessex League for next season ...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/football/nonleague/10354537.Winchester_City_to_join_Sholing_in_Sydenhams_Wessex_League/

Maesyfed
Maesyfed

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:32 pm

I think this move will strengthen their long-term objectives. Best of luck to them.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Winchester - Page 3 Empty MERTHYR vs Winchester

Post  hirwaunman Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:50 pm

I'd like to think that Merthyr fans will always feel a strong affinity towards clubs which have been through the mill like ours has, and which are now run on the same lines as ours. Best of luck to the men and boys of Winchester!

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Winchester - Page 3 Empty MERTHYR v Winchester

Post  CF48 MARTYR Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:21 am

Maesyfed wrote:The latest from Winchester is that they'll be joining Sholing in the Wessex League for next season ...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/football/nonleague/10354537.Winchester_City_to_join_Sholing_in_Sydenhams_Wessex_League/

I wonder if there will be an additional promotion from the Western/Wessex/Screwfix league to account for 4 teams going out of the SL S&W (2up, 2 withdrawing).

I think it will more than likely mean that there will be no relegation from the SLP

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3