Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today's game is OFF

+8
Wandering
Martyr Weaver
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Merthyr Imp
Tim Drummond
ncfc
cliffyboy
Jamie Mack
12 posters

Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty Today's game is OFF

Post  Jamie Mack Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:04 am

Match OFF due to snow.

Jamie Mack
Admin

Back to top Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty Re: Today's game is OFF

Post  cliffyboy Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:40 am

The SL have got to extend the season now, the Martyrs have already got nine games scheduled for April!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  ncfc Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 am

cliffyboy wrote:The SL have got to extend the season now, the Martyrs have already got nine games scheduled for April!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The footballing authorities couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. It's ridiculous to expect part timers to play that often too - it's bad enough at Newport where the players are full time, let alone when there are other jobs to be doing in the daytime.

I think we have 11 games in 28 days or something stupid like that, which in itself is not a problem for full timers, but it is when everyone else has a nice one game a week run in!

ncfc

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:49 am

Look at Bridgwater's schedule; it's ridiculous. I don't think there is any chance of the SL extending the season, unfortunately. It's going to make a lottery of the final league places.
Merthyr's last three games now called off- bad weather twice and floodlights failure at Taunton.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 am

All games in our division postponed today.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 am

we meant to be playing home today wernt we?

is there any snow in Merthyr?
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Mack Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:05 am

SwanseaJack wrote:we meant to be playing home today wernt we?

Posted a photo on our club twitter account SwanseaJack.

https://twitter.com/MerthyrTownFC/status/315385744321564673/photo/1

Jamie Mack
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 am

Jamie Mack wrote:
SwanseaJack wrote:we meant to be playing home today wernt we?

Posted a photo on our club twitter account SwanseaJack.

https://twitter.com/MerthyrTownFC/status/315385744321564673/photo/1

bloody hell, we got blue skies here in carmarthenshire
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:55 am

Even if it hadn't snowed, the game was in doubt because of two days of heavy rain and the chairman asked volunteers to arrive at the pitch at 9am to help fork the pitch.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty Re: Todays game is OFF

Post  Martyr Weaver Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:57 am

Looking at the weather forecast for the coming week, also into Easter and the following week, there's no improvement in the outlook; we may be cancelling fixtures for the next two weeks!

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Minus 4 degrees C forecast for Merthyr area on Wednesday when we are scheduled to play home to Clevedon.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:05 am

Merthyr braced for fixture logjam after another match off
Terry Phillips, South Wales Echo

MERTHYR Town are facing a growing fixtures backlog after having their last three Southern League matches postponed. The entire South and South West Division programme was wiped by the weather over the weekend and Merthyr still have 12 matches to play between now and Saturday, April 27.

The first of those is against Clevedon Town at Penydarren Park this Wednesday, the start of a run which will see the Martyrs squeeze in their 12 matches in 32 days.

Promotion rivals Poole Town, favourites to finish the season champions and take the one automatic promotion place available, are at home against third-placed Swindon Supermarine tomorrow evening. There are eight midweek fixtures scheduled with Bridgwater Town v Taunton Town and Mangotsfield United v Sholing scheduled for this evening.

Merthyr badly need a home win to keep them on course to earn one of the four play-off places available, while they then travel to play Tiverton Town on Saturday. Both Clevedon and Tiverton are in the lower half of the table and the Martyrs will be looking to win both.

Gary Colborne is due to start a suspension, but has had to wait because of the postponements. The delays, though, have given Ryan Newman extra time to recover from injury.

Joint managers Garry Shephard and Danny Carter will keep their team focused on these next couple of matches as they aim to secure a third successive promotion.

They swept through Western League football by winning the Division One and Premier titles in successive seasons, but are facing a tougher test at Southern League level. The Martyrs are still right in the hunt, though, and intent on that top-five finish.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:00 am

What are the chances of Wednesday's game going ahead? I assume Penydarren Park is still snow-bound...now on Monday lunchtime!
Merthyr Tydfil Veterans played at Pentrebach on Sunday afternoon and the pitch was OK- no snow on it. But about half a mile up the road, the temperature was one degree colder.
Minus 4 degrees for the Merthyr area on Wednesday so I can't see us playing. The snow is not going to melt. If there was to be an extension of the league, it could be a problem. The Merthyr players are off on an end of the season holiday on May 8!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 am

I should think they'll be ready for a holiday after the next few weeks.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 am

Tim Drummond wrote:What are the chances of Wednesday's game going ahead? I assume Penydarren Park is still snow-bound...now on Monday lunchtime!
According to the weather forecasters there is not much chance that snow will melt this week but some of it will disappear, invisibly, due to something called sublimation (solid to gas) with low humidity & dry winds.

There is still 37mm of snow lying on our rear garden and if this is any indication of what its like at PP then there must be some doubt about Wednesday's game already.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 am

Yes, the forecast is not good!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:36 am

Yeh it doesn't look good. Spring my ars!

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 pm

This looks promising - posted on Club's Twitter account earlier tonight.

Today's game is OFF PP%2520snow%2520Mar%252013

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty Merthyr v the weather

Post  Boz1964 Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Perhaps shep and carter have been using the Alex ferguson hair dryer treatment on the pitch....there is always snow available in Merthyr whatever season....five pound a bag usually..whatever the weather....fingers crossed jack frost doesn't start as a substitute at our midweek fixture....otherwise I will write to David Icke Cameron and co and ask for my global warming taxes back...must get my hummer back on the road again to burn some much needed carbon.....at least I might geta chance of seeing some non league football again....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty Re: Merthyr V The Weather

Post  Martyr Weaver Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 am

Trouble is, it's not just the ground that has to be ok, but to satisfy H&S the terraces have to be free of snow and ice as well! I have just looked at the long range weather forecast, and can see that there are going to be three warm sunny days; trouble is its one in July, and two in August! Joke!

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty Game vs Clevedon

Post  meurid p Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm

E mail I have just recieved from Jamie Mack, any help would be appreciated.

''I was on the ground at 6pm tonight, and despite the air being cold the pitch itself was soft, which looks good for tomorrow. Dai James made a snow shovel and we cleared the part of the pitch that had the most amount of snow/ice left, but there may still be a little in the morning to clear.

An area we would need to focus on though is part of the stadiums where it is a little icy, especially by the gate to get onto the grandstand, there is a lot of water there and it is icy. I think we may need to spread salt on some areas. It may be worthwhile having some signs up too warning people to take care, and if they fall it is at their own risk!

I will be in work so won't be able to be there during the day. Can anyone be on hand to clear anything on the pitch that may still remain, and can someone please look at the spectator safety and spread some salt on any areas needed?''

meurid p

Back to top Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty Re: Clevedon Game

Post  Martyr Weaver Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:37 am

I think that legally, if you charge for admission to the ground, and a spectator were to fall on ice sustaining serious injury, then even if you do have signs up warning of the conditions, the club would still be legally responsible; you would have to study the clubs insurance policy regarding spectator safety to get a clearer understanding of the implications. It would be necessary to fence off any hazard, and not allow spectators into those areas to satisfy the HSE.

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Today's game is OFF Empty all in the stands tonigt !

Post  itsallgoingtitsup! Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 am

Martyr Weaver wrote:I think that legally, if you charge for admission to the ground, and a spectator were to fall on ice sustaining serious injury, then even if you do have signs up warning of the conditions, the club would still be legally responsible; you would have to study the clubs insurance policy regarding spectator safety to get a clearer understanding of the implications. It would be necessary to fence off any hazard, and not allow spectators into those areas to satisfy the HSE.

with all the ice around the ground i think it would be sensible to send all supporters to sit in main grandstand for this evenings game or seating area behind the goals

as martyr weaver said if someone falls on any ice around the ground they will get hurt & a claim would be put in against the club

it just makes sence as the main bar at the ground is situated in the main stand along with the toilets !! Embarassed

itsallgoingtitsup!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 am

Yes, Martyr Weaver is correct from the legal point of view re accidents on ice or snow.
Anyway, we won't know until later if the game is on tonight.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down