Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Westbury

+5
Old Sod
Merthyr Imp
rustic
GordonTheGopher
Solihull Martyr
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MERTHYR v Westbury Empty MERTHYR v Westbury

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:55 am

Perry harris dorrian newell williams clarke leek smith steins prosser griffith. Subs leahy armitage thomas
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Westbury Empty Re: MERTHYR v Westbury

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:31 am

3 up after 20mins! Steins brace on 12 & 16mins; Prosser on 15mins.

Last edited by Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 am

H/t 3-0
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:21 am

Sub: Armitage replaces Prosser 60mins; Thomas replaces Clarke 62mins.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:50 am

Sub: Leahy replaces Smith 82mins.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:34 am

Non-playing member sent to the stands..! For foul & abusive maybe? Have to wait for Malcs report to find out why (and Who!)

Last edited by Solihull Martyr on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 am

4-0 Marcus Griffiths 90mins after a disappointing second half
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:44 am

F/t 4-0. Rumours that J Strand spotted streaking after the sending off strenuously denied!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:38 am

Anthony Hughes took the walk of shame to much jeering from the home fans.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47 am

very poor second half,why we put tubbs in mid field when he comes on as sub. i dont know, when we are playing mattie harris at wing back but at the end of the day another three points in the bag well done.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:49 am

Today's team:

Perry;
Harris,Williams,Newall,Dorrian;
Griffiths,Leek,Clarke,Smith;
Stiens,Prosser;

Subs: Armitage for Prosser (injured) 57 minutes
Thomas for Clarke (Merthyr) 59 minutes
Leahy for Smith (Merthyr) 80 minutes

In the first 10 minutes we gained a couple of corners and at the other end Joe Perry had to deal with one through ball and make a routine save. Then the game came to life after Westbury's first corner was cleared by Jon Newall out to Kris Leek charging forward. He put the ball out to Marcus Griffiths down the right wing who played it first time inside to Craig Stiens. He took a touch on the ball and placed a shot across the keeper and inside the far post.

Two minutes later it was 2-0. Craig Stiens battled for the ball on the left and charged into the area for the ball to run free to Ryan Prosser who scored a simple goal.

After a further 2 minutes or so the game was effectively over. Kris Leek seized the ball near the touchline on the right in midfield and sent it forward to Craig Stiens on the right of the area. He took it on and slotted it easily past the keeper.

After about 20 minutes a blistering bit of pace by Marcus Griffiths on the right saw him fire in a shot which brought a good save from the keeper.

Although it was looking easy for us at times we'd seemed to have switched off a bit towards the end of the half, and just before the break Westbury created an opening, but from 15 yards their player put his shot over the bar.

The second half continued much as the first had left off, with us seemingly having moved down a gear.

After about 57 minutes Ryan Prosser, who had taken a knock in the first half, went off to be replaced by Scott Armitage. He played on the left with Leigh Smith moving into the middle.

Two minutes later there was another substitution with Andrew Thomas replacing Dean Clarke in midfield.

For most of the second half we were practically playing out time with the 3-0 lead, with Joe Perry only having to make one save near the end. In attack, Craig Stiens put a header just wide of the far post from a right wing cross, and Scott Armitage, with Stiens waiting in the middle, decided to try a left-foot shot which was well off target.

Otherwise, the main occurrence of note until the end was after the booking of Leigh Smith and a Westbury player whern the referee dismissed Anthony Huighes to the dressing room for something that he said to him over the incident. Whether it was in his capacity as part of the club's coaching staff or as a mere supporter that Anthony was 'sent off' wasn't clear - but the referee refused to restart the game until he was in the clubhouse (but we could see him peeping around the door!)

About 10 minutes from the end Joe Leahy came on for Leigh Smith.

We usually seem to manage a late goal or two, and one arrived after about 89 minutes to make it 4-0 and liven up the game a little. Ryan Dorrian started it with a good ball forward down the line to Scott Armitage. He turned the ball inside to Craig Stiens on the edge of the area who tried to work an opportunity for himself, the ball falling to Marcus Griffiths who took a touch before drilling a low shot into the net.

Well, it shows we're getting rather spoiled this season when I say that for most of the game it was one of poorest 4-0 wins I've seen! After the third goal we played well within ourselves for the most part, but there was also a little sloppiness creeping in at times.

Good to see the attendance back over 300 gain (just - at 301).

Not easy to choose a man of the match. I'd go for Craig Stiens if only because he scored 2 of the goals and was involved in the other two.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 pm

I agree with Malcolm - it was probably one of the worse home games this season yet we win 4-0. Still I don't mind if we don't play all that well and win 4-0 every game - 3 points is 3 points although it is always nice to win with a bit of style. Obviously our best period of the game was when we scored our 3 goals in the 1st half when we passed incisively and finished well. As usual we could have scored more - Marcus and Steino missed good chances and Leigh Smith after doing well to get clear on the left failed to pick out a pass to either Steino or Marcus either of whom would have scored easily.

The 2nd half (as against Bradford) was instantly forgetable except for Marcus's goal which was well worked and the sight of Hughsie being sent off and told to leave the ground by the referee. The referee was poor throughout and no doubt Anthony was telling him what he thought of him and this caused his ejection from the ground - although he managed to skulk around the dressing room area. True, Anthony was over the fence by the dugout but he wasn't there under any official capacity so I wonder does the referee have the authority to send him off? One of the Two Mikes was close by so I suppose he was lucky not to go as well! Steino had another good game today and was unlucky not to get his 2nd hat trick of the season. Badger - who seems to get better every game - also deserves a mention.

With Devizes & Bridport losing & Oldland drawing made it a good day for us. We've 4 away games coming up and 12 points from them will go a long way to sealing the league by the end of March.

Last edited by Old Sod on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:47 pm

rustic wrote: why we put tubbs in mid field when he comes on as sub. i dont know, when we are playing mattie harris at wing back

Well the same thing happened last week against Devizes. As well as Matthew Harris we also have Ryan Dorrian in the back four, and Steve Williams has filled in as a midfielder before now. Andrew Thomas is certainly a bit limited as a midfield player! I suppose the idea is not to disrupt the back four, which has currently only let in one goal in four games.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Old Sod wrote: The referee was poor throughout .

Forgot to say I thought we should have had a penalty about 10-15 minutes from the end when Craig Stiens was brought down on the right of the area? What did anyone else think?

There was a penalty shout earlier in the second half when Craig Stiens (again) went down on the other side of the area. But in that case I thought the referee was right, as it seemed to be Stiens himself who was doing the fouling.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 pm

GordonTheGopher wrote:Anthony Hughes took the walk of shame to much jeering from the home fans.
It was indeed. And I'm told "Cheerio" echoed around the ground! Although we have to remember just how much Mr H has contributed to our club - I'd suggest this is his first indiscretion after 300-odd (!) years (the first we’re aware of anyhow) – so I’d suggest we don’t throw the book at him! Even so - couldn't resist texting him when I heard!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I agree very poor second half we took are foot of the gas, but having said that the pitch second half was very poor making it difficult to control the ball especially on the wings.Regarding Anthony he came out of the changeing room with the team and management maybe the referee thought he was part of the coaching staff and if he was abusive to the ref and by the dugout the referee was right to send him off.Maybe a lesson learnt.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Risca Martyr Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:06 am

I was completely baffled by Shep's decision to put Tubbs into a holding midfield position against a very porr attacking side and keep Mattie Harris at right back (As I think was everyone else in the ground). Tubbs looked lost and didn't seem to know where he was supposed to be playing leaving Kris Leek to cover the entire midfield!

I'm pretty sure if we had moved Mattie into midfield and put Willo at right back and Tubbs into central defence we would have scored more. Between them, Mattie and Leeky would have driven us forward to greater effect. As it was we were inviting pressure onto ourselve and were lucky Westbury were so poor up front.

Any way, rant over and hopefully a lesson will be learnt!
Risca Martyr
Risca Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 am

in total agreement with that risca.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrant Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:48 am

Morning all

Just wanted to clear something up from yesterday - and yes, you can guess what that is!!

I was on the bench officially - named on the teamsheet - and help out with the kit, waterbottles, balls etc. - nothing more.
If you notice at home games I stand or sit at the side of the dugout by the rail.
Yesterday was quite bizarre. As you can imagine it wasn't exactly a contentious game and at the time of the incident there was only about 8 or 9 minutes left I think.
There had been an incident involving Lee Smith and one of the Westbury players and they had both been booked and one of our players came over to Shep and said he had never heard a Referee say to two players "you are both getting red unless you apologise".
At that point Shep shouted at the Ref saying he didn't have a clue or something like that. He Looked towards our bench and at that moment I held my arms out and said "we don't understand what you're doing" - that was it. At that point he came towards us and I thought he was heading for Shep. But, he walked past shep to me and said "you have no right to be here, get under the rail". I said fine, but I do have a right because I am named on the teamsheet - it still doesn't change that we don't understand what you have done". He responded, "If that's the case I want you out of the ground and I am not re-starting the game until you are". I couldn't believe it and said to him, "can you acknowledge to me I haven't sworn or abused you in any way" to which he said, "that's OK" and I said "I hope your'e report reflects that".

That was it, whole entire incident!

I believe he acknowledged to Jamie afterwards that I didn't swear etc., but said it was for "consistent complaining". Just for the record, 82 minutes on the clock and I have not conversed with the Officials at any time on the day apart from at half 1 in the Boardroom when I met them and shook all three's hands!! Can't even recall three or four times when I was annoyed at decisions because the game was so one-sided from the first minute - nothing to be annoyed about!

If he does report it I will be asking for a personal hearing. I don't believe I did anything wrong apart from express an opinion. If we can't express opinions now we might as well pack it in. There were other people at the game shouting at him - and I mean on both benches - which he chose to ignore and it did include swearing.
In my opinion I think the following happened. He thought I wasn't supposed to be pitch side of the rail and din't realise I was named on the teamsheet. He came to me and said you shouldn't be here. When he realised I was he was then in a corner and had to act - but I think he will make a fool of himself if he honestly repeats the actual incident in his report.
Just wanted to clear it up - always had great relationships with Officials, never really didn't get on with any of them. Make no mistake, I have gone ballistic at times in the past over decisions but never ever been reported. Yesterday was totally bizarre! Just thought I should clarify.

martyrant

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:50 am

Anthony thank you for clarifying the situation all is now clear.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Westbury Empty Two Martyrs Paul and Anthony

Post  Royston Rogers Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:51 am

Is this the first instance a "Waterboy" has received a red card during a game.We all wish Paul Chicken a quick recovery as his cool temperment is needed in this volatile role.
Only joking Anthony you've been a true martyr all over the years to the cause. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:F/t 4-0. Rumours that J Strand spotted streaking after the sending off strenuously denied!

That would be against my principles, purely on the basis that it would result in a reduction in attendance, and the ensuing reduction of income.

Was actually not at the match due to trip to west Wales for my wife's birthday. I am already banned from away matches because I am a jinx. At this rate I will be banned from home matches also, along with Ant possibly.

Any donations towards Ant's possible fine - pass to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 am

how is paul is he getting better.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:24 pm

He's been moved from UHW to Aberdare Hospital. He'll need some more treatment before he fully recovers. Jamie is going to see him.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Westbury Empty WALK OF SHAME

Post  2mikes Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm

[quote="Old Sod"]The 2nd half (as against Bradford) was instantly forgetable except for Marcus's goal which was well worked and the sight of Hughsie being sent off and told to leave the ground by the referee. The referee was poor throughout and no doubt Anthony was telling him what he thought of him and this caused his ejection from the ground - although he managed to skulk around the dressing room area. True, Anthony was over the fence by the dugout but he wasn't there under any official capacity so I wonder does the referee have the authority to send him off? One of the Two Mikes was close by so I suppose he was lucky not to go as well!

The ref and linesman(ops assistant ref) on the far side confused all of us around the dug out.
e.g. How did he blow for an offside 20 yards inside their half when our players were 3 yards onside.
the free kick was taken 2 yards from the half way line. Was it phase 1 or phase 2 or phase 3 offside?? We could clearly hear the laughters from the away dugout. I'm sorry but a bad day at the office for the men in black. I must agree though about 15 of us should have walk with A.H. but not through swearing but asking for logical reasons for the decisions. affraid

2mikes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next