Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimborne v MERTHYR

+8
joan of ark
Merthyr Imp
GordonTheGopher
rustic
scamp
Tim Drummond
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Solihull Martyr
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wimborne v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimborne v MERTHYR

Post  ncfc Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Is the pitch not having a bearing on your home form? I hear that you like to get the ball down and play but the Penydarren pitch is not really user friendly for footballing sides.

Either way, here's hoping it turns around and you can seal another promotion.

ncfc

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Yes have to agree with you the proof is in the results.This is a sore subject with some of the fans as why something is not done about it.It is now starting to cost us money because the displays at home is not helping with the gate attendance

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Some video of the match:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/Cuthbury/videos?view=0

Can anyone say what substitutions we made?

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Wimborne v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty Wimbourne V merthyr

Post  jeffh Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:17 pm

The complements the team hare having after every game are overwelming . They show the quality football the boys are playing. I think we must aim for play off position at the moment ,antthing better would be a bonus,But the team are good enough to make it 3 promotions in a row the way they ae performing. Deserve far better support .

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:52 pm

I think it has been said that there is a limit to what can be done with the pitch because of the cost. It's one of the reasons the club have a 3G plan, once the grant aid can be obtained.
Merthyr Town have returned to the Southern League but the gates are not better than last year and costs escalate in every department.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 am

My post last Saturday ended with a plea to play all our games away and on an excellent playing surface, despite the heavy rain we showed the reason why with us playing some excellent football to achieve a 3-0 win and in all honesty it could have been double that.

With Rewbs injured, Welshy & Tubbsy unavailable we started with Badger & Colborne playing in the middle of a flat back 4 with Willo and Alun on the flanks. Nathan played just in front with Leekie and Newms on the right & left respectively, Matthew in the hole and Pross & Traylor up front. Playing up the slope we dominated from the start, playing some good one touch football, creating half chances and it was no surprise when we opened the scoring. Good play on the right between Willo & Leekie put Matthew free near the byline and he sent in a superb cross which Colborne met with a powerful header from 2 yards which went in off the underside of the bar. We continued to press leaving Wimborne to semi press with sporadic breaks. Leekie sent in a good right foot shot which was well saved by the keeper, Matthew sent in a superb left foot shot which just curled past the post with the keeper beaten and Traylor hit the side netting (I thought it was in!) from the edge of the 6 yard area. It was not a great surprise when we doubled our lead when Leekie in oceans of space sent in a great shot from about 25 yards which bounced just in front of the diving keeper and into the net. Wimborne did threaten towards the end of the half and when Gilo elected to punch a ball he should have caught Wimborne sent in a looping header, which again a lot of people in the ground thought was in, but it just cleared the bar.

We started the 2nd half well playing some crisp, incisive football and could easily have extended our lead but we did tend to over elaborate and we failed to stamp our authority on the game with further goals. Wimborne came back into it a little and did hit the post with a good shot but in truth that was about the only time they threatened our goal. Cornwall replaced Matthew who seemed to have taken a bit of a knock and immediately fitted in to our style of play, passing he ball well. Leekie was injured in a tackle to be replaced by Scouser and Marcus replace Prosser who had had a good game up to then. We were creating loads of space on the right with Willo getting into space on numerous occasions and send in threatening crosses we failed to convert. Finally we put the game to bed when Nathan sent through a precision pass to Traylor on the edge of the area, and he took it on and shot it delightfully past the keeper for a well deserved 3rd. We could have had more but settled for 3 in the end. Everyone had a good game today and my MOTM may be slightly controversial but I would award it to Badger as he had a very assured game alongside Colborne, rarely putting a foot or a head wrong and he fitted in well in the centre of the back 4.

We played some excellent football on a surface that was conducive to that and looked an excellent team with some Wimborne fans saying we were the best team they've played in the Southern League and wondered why we weren't walking away with the league. I think you know my views on the reason why! If we are going to progress it will be our away form that will make that happen. Like Hungerford, Wimborne is a well run club by nice people who gave us an excellent welcome and we very complimentary on the way we played.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:56 am

Video of yesterdays game from Wimborne. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSizFM7cbM
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 am

It's also available via the following link;

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=21426

You can see Tonbridge's match at Dartford too.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2