Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It was 25 years ago today.

5 posters

Go down

It was 25 years ago today. Empty It was 25 years ago today.

Post  cliffyboy Wed May 16, 2012 8:35 pm

No, not the first line from that iconic album Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts club Band by the Beatles, it's the 25th anniversary of Merthyr's appearance in the Welsh cup final. On Sunday May 17th 1987, the Martyrs drew 2-2 with Newport County at Ninian Park, after extra time with goals from Bob Latchford and David Webley.

In this era the the Welsh cup final did not go penalties, which meant the teams had to reconvene for a replay on the following Thursday 21st May 1987 again at Ninian Park . Early in the game David Webley was brought down in the box and from the resulting penalty left back Chris Baird stepped up to send a low spot kick past the County keeper. Merthyr held on to the lead and captain Chris Holvey lifted the Welsh cup to book Merthyr's first European adventure.

I attended the first game (still got the programme) , but not the replay .

By the way, I've still got my copy of that Beatles album on vinyl, bought from Jones record shop, top of the arcade in Merthyr in 1967 - thirty bob ! ,

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

It was 25 years ago today. Empty Re: It was 25 years ago today.

Post  fistral10 Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 am

I know the Club are going to be busy in the summer, but are there any plans to celebrate the fact that it's 25 years since we won the Welsh Cup and played Atalanta the following September? How about getting the 2 squads together for the opening day of the 2012/13 season, I'm sure that would generate a lot of interest among current supporters and bring back many memories to those who were following Merthyr at the time.

fistral10

Back to top Go down

It was 25 years ago today. Empty It was 25 years ago today.

Post  CF48 MARTYR Thu May 17, 2012 6:12 am

Just to confirm an Atalanta/Welsh Cup Celebrations Committe was set up a few months ago, a committe which consists of current club board memeber to take care, plan and organise social and celebratory events surrounding the 25th Annerversiary.

More details will be released shortly.

Great suggestion from fistral10, would be great if we could pull an event off such as that, I will add that to the list.

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wingnut Thu May 17, 2012 9:26 am

The Club Shop are looking to launch an Atalanta Coloured Supporters Shirt to celebrate the 25th Annerversiary of the Match.

More details of the Shirt will be posted in the next few weeks.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wingnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu May 17, 2012 10:29 am

I saw both Atalanta games, an amazing once in a lifetime experience. Our party stayed in Lugano, Switzerland.
I also still have Sgt Pepper on vinyl and probably bought it in Jones the Arcade. Then I bought it later on CD!!!!!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down