Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wells City -vrs- Martyrs

5 posters

Go down

Wells City -vrs- Martyrs Empty Wells City -vrs- Martyrs

Post  Wandering Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 am

Tonights re-arranged game has been postponed due to the prevailing weather conditions in Somerset.

No real surprise but disappointing that we can't complete our fixtures for the season for another few days.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Wells City -vrs- Martyrs Empty Re: Wells City -vrs- Martyrs

Post  cliffyboy Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 am

Wells (away) now re-arranged for next Tuesday 7.45pm K.O

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Wed May 02, 2012 8:50 am

Having got to Dorchester by the time the game was called off, I knew nowt about it being called off until I got to Wells. Anyway, the pitch was perfect. No water to be seen, but there were problems in Bradford-on-avon as I understand it.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Mon May 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Devon-sent opportunity for Merthyr to complete season in style
South Wales Echo

when they face Wells City.

The Martyrs are already champions and have secured promotion to the Southern League for 2012-13.

Joint managers Garry Shephard and Danny Carter are already planning for that step, having led Merthyr to successive titles in the Western League.

Next season they look certain to be playing in the Southern League Division One South and West against clubs such as Hungerford Town, Paulton Rovers, North Leigh, Thatcham Town, Tiverton Town, Cinderford Town, Bishops Cleeve, Yate Town, Mangotsfield United, Bridgwater Town, Didcot, Taunton and Halesowen Town.

Merthyr can earn their 23rd league win of the season in tonight’s game, although victory would only lift them a further three points clear of nearest rivals Bitton.

This is a third attempt to play the match against Wells City. The first game was abandoned after 26 minutes in heavy rain, while the fixture was postponed a week ago.

Centre-forward Ryan Prosser has been Merthyr’s top scorer this season, having fired 22 goals, while player of the year Ian Traylor has netted 14.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon May 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Isn't Wells in Somerset? And the game's tomorrow night not tonight. But I suppose it's all near enough for the South Wales Echo
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Wells is in Somerset. But Somerset-sent opportunity wouldn't carry the same play on words whereas Devon is supposed to suggest the word Heaven to the Echo readers. Therefore, the newspaper has shown some licence to make the publication seem more literary and not just present the paper as being something which the next day wrapped up your fish and chips before that practice was outlawed!
I suppose they could have said Kent-sent opportunity as that would have rhymed or Dorset would have been all-right as being the birth-place of novelist Thomas Hardy. Having said that, his ending to Jude The Obscure was very depressing and would not really conjure up the positive picture Merthyr Town FC are trying to paint!
Regarding the date of the fixture, I wondered why someone asked me: How did Merthyr get off today?"
Doubtless, we will get a full report on the game at Wells in Tuesday's Western Mail and Echo!
After all, when Merthyr played Llanelli in a pre-season friendly, the visitors' Craig Moses, a former Martyr, was said to be the best player on the pitch. In fact, he didn't play, being suspended!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down