Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NOT OVER YET..

3 posters

Go down

NOT OVER YET.. Empty NOT OVER YET..

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm

The club are squeezing out the last drop  of loyal support for Saturday with the final match this season with the slight hope that  Merthyr can claim the last play-off spot at the death. An exhortation to "pack the park!" comes as even three points over relegated Harrow Borough may not be enough. Hayes and Yeading are one of the sides fightring desperately to avoid the drop but they travel to Berkshire where Bracknell  need to win, finish fifth and dash Martyrs' hopes finally.
Will/should Merthyr players be kept in the loop of  the score at Bracknell?
After being in the mix all season, Merthyr just weren't  good enough to  cement their play off place earlier as teams above them did. A win at Tiverton or Winchester could have made all the difference. The hopes remained with a few positive results earlier.  But the successes of August and December with 10 wins out of 10 could not be replicated in the other five months, which included a disappointing FA Cup defeat at home to Sheppey United.
A reprieve from relegation two  years ago saw Merthyr seize  the chance last  season and  finish ninth, albeiit with  a patchy home record. And this season seven home defeats.
A sixth spot now will be a little improvement but a  little disappointing. And some who got excited over a possible climb up the pyramid have become rather silent of late.
Attendances have been  good, the third best in the division. The cry "We go again next season" will  be heard. But there are bound to be team changes then so it won't be easy to maintain progress..it will mean a fresh start and other teame pushing up.
Like the Merthyr buses, chances don't always come!
But, of course, hope still glimmers as  aspirations go riight to the wire on Saturday...all  to play for Bracknell, Hayes and Yeading  and Merthyr.

“It’s tough for us mentally because we are now relying on others to do us a favour,” admitted manager, Paul Michael, to his club’s media. “It’s the first time that things have been out of our own hands, but we’ll go again and first and foremost try to get the winning result that we need to stand any chance.

“We’ve got a young team here and I am proud of the effort that they have put in all season. They haven’t given up and come so far, so why should we give up now?

“We’ll go into Saturday’s game believing. I can’t fault the effort of the players or the supporters, who have been absolutely fantastic.

“Hopefully we’ll get a packed house on Saturday and we’ll give it everything we’ve got.
#

Last edited by Tim Drummond on Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

NOT OVER YET.. Empty Re: NOT OVER YET..

Post  scamp Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:57 am

Hayes and yeading lost away to Plymouth parkway last night 3_1 they must win at Bracknell to survive. They had only 13 players there and their manager it sounds was dissatisfied with some players who did not make it.There seems a lot of discontent there at the moment listening to his match report on you tube

scamp

Back to top Go down

NOT OVER YET.. Empty Not Over Yet

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 am

A win for Bracknell seems the most likely scenario.. And anyway with Merthyr's home record, a win over already relegated Harrow Borough is not a given.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm

just thought i'd drop a quick line here.
i been looking out for your results each week this season, like i have always done.

came so close to a play off place lads, but heads up, be proud. cracking season.

i follow a lot of Martyr fans on twitter, great bunch.

wasn't it something like two seasons ago you were relegated but given a reprieve?

on that note i have to say that this is progress, keep it up.

I will try get up PP again next season.

all the best
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Dial M For Merthyr Zine, hirwaunman and Boz1964 like this post

Back to top Go down

NOT OVER YET.. Empty Not Over Yet

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm

Yes, two seasons ago, they were reprieved from relegation when Walton Casuals folded in the summer. Paul Michael had taken over as Merthyr manager, after leaving Yate Town, so really was preparing a side for Div 1. But they finished ninth and reached First Round Proper of FA Cup.
Today was a comprehensive win but really they should have had a play-off place having been in top five all season. Six wins from sis games in August and four wins from four games in Dec. But some disappointing results at turn of year cost them. And like last season lost too many times at home. Still sixth place was an improvement and away in a play-off would have been tough anyway.
Welcome if you turn up at Penydarren Park next season!!

Tim Drummond

Boz1964 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum