Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Play-off prospects

2 posters

Go down

Play-off prospects Empty Play-off prospects

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:48 pm

At the risk of being accused of negativity, I don't think Merthyr will occupy a place-off in the play-offs at the end of this campaign. One win from seven games now and to rescue a point against Hayes and Yeading seemed a triumph.
They may surprise us in the next three matches- all away- and they need to if the simmering hopes are to hot up. Winchester, Bracknell and Salisbury on their travels for the next three Saturdays.
The signs didn't look too good before the start, with five players ruled out through injury or illness.
And just four on the bench, with two unlikely to go on- 'keeper Will Fuller and development squad player Tana Jones (good squad experience for him nevertheless). The other two were used- Liam Angel for injured Kieran Evans, on just seven minutes, and Joe Woodiwiss late in the game for central defender Nick Rhodes who often fails to complete 90 minutes due to injury.
The speed on the left flank by Samuel Fanlyan put Merthyr under pressure from the start. Hayes went ahead on 16 minutes after a Rhodes own goal.
Merthyr were fairly lack-lustre in the opening period despite the efforts, skills and passing from Lewys Twamley. Their first real effort at goal didn't come until past 40 minutes.
The second half saw an improved performance with the equaliser on 56 minutes with a fine header from Callum Ryan-Phillips who met Alex John's flag-kick from the left.
The visitors' earlier zest had decllined but not before they haad been thwarted by superb stops from Jaimie Cogman in goal, And one effort also thundered off the bar.
Oliver Mehew came more into the match on the left for The Martyrs, and the players could not be faulted for ther resurgence. But at the other end, the Merthyr defence sometimes seemed slow, and a point turned out to be a better result than had seemed on the cards.
A crowd of 600 plus on the Ireland v Wales rugby international was quite good. Merthyr stayed fourth and have 11 games left but with AFC Totton's game postponed, The Martyrs are hanging on. The next three away performances may prove to be key.....

Tim Drummond

Boz1964 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Play-off prospects Empty Re: Play-off prospects

Post  martyrmark Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:01 am

I’m with you Tim, on feeling only negative vibes. I wish I could have the same optimism as Paul Michael, who has again stated, ‘that’s why we have such a good squad.’….. Really?. Walking out of the ground yesterday, supporters were as flat as the show that we saw. Digging in for a home point, against yet more, lower placed opposition. Even if we did have all players available, in my opinion and as recent results and performances have proven, we’re just not good enough. Same old statements, ‘too many players were off’ and ‘we need to be better in the final third’ is wearing a bit thin now. I’ve said it for weeks that, injuries and unavailability has not been addressed and signing just one player, (and another centre back at that) is poor management. But, still it goes on, ‘hoping’ the same players will somehow get us back on track. It was also stated, there are concerns on injured players and still no talk of any additions….. Why not? At the turnstiles, we’ve lost at least £600 per game, (200 x £3). The club ask ‘Pack The Park?’ but, it’s the wrong question being asked. I believe in the quote, ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,’ but come on Paul, stop with this stubbornness.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Play-off prospects Empty Play-off prospects

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:53 pm

Merthyr won the opening six games this season in August and won all four in Decenber. Of the other 21 league matches, over five months, they won just six. So a total of 16 wins but most concentrated in two months!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Play-off prospects Empty Re: Play-off prospects

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down