Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cinderford v MERTHYR

+4
Tim Drummond
Merthyr Imp
cliffyboy
Solihull Martyr
8 posters

Go down

Cinderford v MERTHYR Empty Cinderford v MERTHYR

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Perry pena griffiths a thomas williams j thomas marsh dorrian shephard prosser griffiths. Subs howe carpenter leahy smith newell traylor
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Cinderford v MERTHYR Empty Re: Cinderford v MERTHYR

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:47 pm

H/t 0-0
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 pm

F/t 0-0. On to extra time...
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Cheers mate, not much info coming through tonight, Jamie usually updates on Twitter, but he's not there!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Whatever happens in extra time you can say that we've more than matched a team from a division above us at home and held them to a draw over 90 minutes on their own ground, so that's not bad.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:52 pm

1 down 10mins into extra time. Header.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:59 pm

H/t et 1 down.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:00 pm

If Merthyr lose, will someone say:"Now we can concentrate on the League."?

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Cinderford v MERTHYR Empty re:cinderford v merthyr

Post  joan of ark Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:H/t et 1 down.
If we lose it will be very disappointing because it seems we have played them off the park. To be in charge but not manage to score and lose a game we should have won is a bummer Sad

joan of ark

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Still in 3 other cups!!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Cinderford v MERTHYR Empty re;cinderford v merthyr

Post  joan of ark Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 pm

cliffyboy wrote:Still in 3 other cups!!
It's not the point. You need to grab every opportunity and make the most of it. If we were out-played and lost you can't complain but we should have won tonight and put money in the bank. Crying or Very sad

joan of ark

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:14 pm

2 down with about a minute to go...
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:15 pm

F/t lost 2-0. Oh well, now we can concentrate on the League.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Three goals iin the last five games. One in the last three- a controversial goal against Cinderford in the first meeting.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:19 pm

So now we know the home game with Barry in the Welsh Cup will be on Saturday 1st October.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 am

The result last night was a travesty. We were all over them for most of the game. They had their periods of pressure of course but I would say we had 70% of the game. Ryan Prosser had his best game of the season and hit the post in the first half. For all the pressure we had we created few clear cut chances but we more than matched opposition from a higher league who's main system of play was the high ball up to Sommers to flick on. From what I've seen over the last few games the transition fron the Toolstation 1st to the Premier is more difficult than into the Southern League.

As usual I was down the far end for Cinderford's goals but apparently that for the first one the linesman who was on the far side of the pitch flagged for a corner. The referee, who was closer, accepted that and gave it but it should have been a throw in as the ball went out over the touchline & not the goal line. They scored from that corner and that was that. I saw Danny having go at he referee but didn't know the reason why and it was only when I wandered up the other end did I find out. The 2nd goal was an irrelevance as we had about 8 players forward looking for the equaliser. Without that incorrect decision we would have gone to penalties at least.

Laurie Marsh had a good steady game, as did Pena and the defence as a whole did well coping with Sommers but my MOTM was Prosser who led the line well. Sheppy went off at half time with a calf injury, I think. Although we had most of the game chances were few and far between and we are missing a bit of creativity and maybe more importantly luck.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Cinderford v MERTHYR Empty Cinderford v MERTHYR

Post  CF48 MARTYR Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:19 am

Our poor form in front of goal cost us a much deserve win last night, as it did on Saturday.

I think this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later as I feel our failure to kill teams off will cost us results after some excellent performances.

Take nothing away from the lads, they did well, put plenty of effort in, created presentable chances to win the game on both occasions but ultimately failed to do so.

Was too far away from the corner / throw in incident, but we cleared the initial corner, only to find the next phase of play and cross on the run found a Cinderford striker in acres of space unmarked in the box (just like Prosser at home Saturday) but they finished the chance and won the game, the second goal was inmaterial and give the scoreline a flattering look for them.

I must say I thought some of the sides in our league have been better than Cinderford, and I certainly would hold no fear if we gained promotion of us doing really well in that league with our currenty squad.

I thought Jamie Thomas had a very good game again at the back, and Marcus was always a threat

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:18 am

MERTHYR suffered extra-time heartache last night as they bowed out of the FA Cup with a brave display at Cinderford.

Despite Cinderford’s one division advantage it was the Martyrs who played the better football throughout the first qualifying round replay.

Both Ryan Prosser and Garry Shephard had good chances during the opening 45 minutes, whilst Ian Traylor continued to create chances for Merthyr after the break.

Despite late Town pressure they were unable to force a goal in normal time and they paid for that 10 minutes into the extra period when a Dale Evans cross was headed in by Nick McCootie.

Merthyr came back though, with Ryan Dorrian and Ryan Prosser inches away from an equaliser.

But the visitors were caught on the break and McCootie raced clear to get his second and earn Cinderford a second qualifying tie at Eastleigh

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/merthyr-tydfil-fc/2011/09/21/cinderford-2-0-merthyr-91466-29459189/#ixzz1YaZ1gDZj

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I agree with CF48 Martyr that our recent poor scoring record is a concern. If we have the lion's share of the play, we need to take the chances.I didn't see the game but in previous matches this season, we have struggled to score with the exception of the opening fixture.
And although Cinderford are a step above Merthyr Town, Merthyr did field five players with Southern League Premier Division experience.
I wonder how many players Cinderford had who have played at that level!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down