Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PLAYERS NEWS

+4
Barneyboy
WSCEvans
martyrmark
Tim Drummond
8 posters

Go down

PLAYERS NEWS Empty PLAYERS NEWS

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:31 am

Camden Duncan has signed for Mangotsfield.
Yate have two good defenders on loan from Bristol City to add to four players they have recruited from other clubs.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

PLAYERS NEWS Empty players news

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:06 am

Joe Low and James T aylor are the Yate signings.
Mangotsfield manager Ollie Price says Duncan, former Swindon and Forest Green trainee, has pedigree and will play this weekend if clearance comes through or otherwise on Boxing Day.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

PLAYERS NEWS Empty Re: PLAYERS NEWS

Post  martyrmark Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:37 am

Thanks Tim for the confirmation on another player’s departure. This shows further embarrassment on the club’s behalf that, we have to find out through a third party about basic news that, ‘our fans’ should be informed of, as you have done in this latest case. (Although, I called this a few weeks ago.) Can you see my annoyance regarding this? Yet another example on knowing more about the opposition than our own team and more proof of the management further distancing itself from the people that matter. Another one of Gavin’s ‘major’ Summer signings having very little game time, considering our so called ‘injury hit squad.’ .. ..... Now, let’s all jot down who we’ll think will be available tomorrow. Good luck in getting that list right.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:56 am

Looked very sharp pre-season. Sadly rarely seen after his clearance came through.
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

PLAYERS NEWS Empty Player news

Post  Barneyboy Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 am

Personally a lot of players that were brought in haven’t really done much and many haven’t been been much improvement.

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Gimme Five! Martyrs Strengthen For League Title Bid
Posted on 20th June 2019 by Terry Phillips

Merthyr Town have signed two former Cardiff City players in their quest for promotion from the EvoStik Southern League Premier.

Lively winger Jamie Bird and goalkeeper Cameron Clarke are the latest new boys who have committed to The Martys. Manager Gavin Williams has strengthened his squad with five new signings with Bird and Clarke following full-back Lewis Binns, striker Gethyn Hill and goalkeeper Alex Harris.

NOTE
It's The BetVictor Southern League now, and only Hill and Harris are in present team...

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:07 am

Two other Bristol City players on loan to Yate are under 18s striikers Tommy Conway and Sam Bell.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:02 pm

Tim Drummond wrote:Camden Duncan has signed for Mangotsfield.
Yate have two good defenders on loan from Bristol City to add to four players they have recruited from other clubs.
Camden Duncan was an unused sub in The Mangoes 3-1 win v Paulton today.
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:53 am

Club captain Ashley Evans has departed. A big blow that great player. Been superb during his several spells at the club. Club statement indicates offers been made for several other players which may depart in the New Year.
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:34 am

It's bad news if we lose another four players,hope the manager is looking for possible replacements his hands are tied in all fairness with the silly money being paid by some clubs.

rustic

Back to top Go down

PLAYERS NEWS Empty Players News

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:08 am

"It's not dark yet but it's getting there."
Ashley Evans has given his best for the club through difficult times and he needs to think about himself.Best wishes to him.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Very sad to see Ashley leave but it is time we look at our squad and introduce some new fresh young players into the side
We have always had a problem with players leaving to go to welsh premier where they offer silly money and obviously clubs like Barry have not learnt their lesson with past financial disasters
Our side is in need of a uplift something which may be forced on us perhaps might end up being a good thing

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:48 pm

MERTHYR haven't had any financial disasters???????
Merthyr did have some young players this season in a reserve side in the Merthyr League but they later quit the league...

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:18 pm

I was referring to Barry past financial disasters when they folded and at to restart up in the lower leagues

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:32 pm

Ashley Evans, a credit to the club with his services and a born to win attitude, will be as disappointed with the teams poor season again, as its supporters. It’s so unlike him and being the captain, I feel there’s more behind his exit than we’ll probably know. The timing is a little odd, especially hearing that four others may be leaving for greener pastures. This is when Messrs Williams and Clarke will have to show their ‘hidden credentials.’ I’m sure they have some ‘hidden’ somewhere ....... If only they can remember where they put them.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:39 pm

I think the timing is because the Welsh Prem transfer window opens in January.
It is sad to see Ashley go. He gave 100 per cent and always had time to talk to the players.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Scamp, Merthyr Tydfil folded, were re-born and had to start again three levels down, in The Western League.Then a few years on are again in debt.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

PLAYERS NEWS Empty Player news

Post  Barneyboy Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Very sad news indeed as he’s been a very good servant to the martyrs and I wish him the very best for the future but you have to go where the money is I’m afraid.
With Ashley gone and potential for others where does that leave us?
The sad fact is that supporters owned club isn’t working and hasn’t worked at all and with all the greatest intentions but sad fact ppl at the top haven’t had a clue how to run a business.
Businesses can’t be run on volunteers and ppl with very little business acumen even though I’ve got the greatest admiration for every single person who has done everything in their power to help the club out from the very top to the very bottom.
The very fact of the matter is that we got ourselves in so much debt that we’ve pretty much bankrupted ourselves to the point of paying peanuts to quality players and expecting them to stay and fight for a cause when they have to think of themselves and their families.
The truth of the matter is that I’m surprised some of our players haven’t been picked off earlier due to their caliber.
We can only sit back and watch it unfold but by the looks of things if more go we will end up in the bottom 4/5 at the end of the season.
Rough times ahead and as I’ve said on previous thread that things have to change.
Out of curiosity I have a couple of questions and maybe someone can give me the answer?
How much are we paying the manager a year or season?
How do ppl see the reformation of the martyrs since supporters ownership as a success or failure?
How long do we maintain our position as regards to ownership before we look at a takeover?
Can we truelly survive and prosper in our present situation?

What’s are other people’s take on the situation at the club and maybe others have questions they would like to put out there?
What does the future hold for merthyr town ???????????

Barneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:13 am

I think the grants to improve the stadium arose because of fan ownership of the football club. The idea was to make Merthyr Town a community club. As stated in the past, not one penny was for football.If there had been a private owner,I doubt that money would have been forthcoming.
The club was run daily by a CEO but along with the salaries of the other eight jobs created, the financial position was not sustainable. Staff had to leave. I agree it is hard for volunteers to bear the brunt but bringing in an office manager again,although to some extent needed, would mean more expenditure and whether it would mean more income and savings is questionable.
The supporters' ownership has worked to some extent and recent months seem to have brought in more business re Christmas events and room hire etc.But it is a big building to maintain,making it hard to provide any more cash for the players with debts being tackled. So it has brought problems. And people say we are a football club.But we are much more than that.
Anyway, the Borough Council have stated that the playing budget has been too big.It must be remembered that the council own the stadium, the grants came via them and the Welsh Government, and the club's assets are little.So the council have a large say in the matter.They are helpful, and they couldn't utilise the stadium, with their financial problems, if Merthyr Town folded.
I think the manager's wages are a private matter, and even though the club is fan-owned, not everything is revealed to the supporters.The manager is on a contract.
The club constitution is that of fan-ownership so I don't know if that could be changed. But who anyway would want to take over Merthyr Town? The past 20 plus years have seen several disasters, administration and liquidation of Merthyr Tydfil and phoenix club Merthyr Town.
People who tried to keep the club going in the past saw their lives virtually ruined in various ways, some with legal actions.
2015 saw Merthyr as THE FIFA GRASSROOTS CLUB OF THE YEAR. Now it is a struggle for survival with interim boards and boards, under a total of four chairmen, struggling to achieve stability, not easy when there are so many changes etc.I think about 24 directors have left the board in less than two years, for various reasons.And for many it was a thankless task, some paying off debts themselves or the club would have gone by now.
Most of the fans have not even become owners of the Society and most just want to watch the football and look to hopes of play-offs.As I see it, we face, if we survive the next couple of years, seasons of consolidation on the field before there can be any hopes of progress. It may mean taking one game at a time for its enjoyment.Players want to be paid the going rate for the job and must think of themselves first rather than any club loyalty.So if they move on, it is understandable. And are there any young less experienced players who want to join the club and travel three to four hours by coach every other week for not too much reward?
Sorry if some think the tone is one of pessimism but this is reality when in a business. And the club is a business. Let's see what 2020 brings...

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:41 am

Spot on Barneyboy with your generalisation on current proceedings at PP, especially with the people at the so called business end and being clueless. We are becoming a laughing stock around Britain, let alone Wales. Joe Public must be reading articles on the club and saying, ‘no, not them again?’ We were fortunate last time (which wasn’t that long ago), to be bailed out but, I don’t think it will be as easy next time and rightly so, we should never find ourselves in this position, in a short space of time. Again, this hasn’t happened overnight, although a recent club statement suggested, we are financially healthier than this time last year. I was going to mention the manager’s wages during a previous debate on the Forum but, I knew some people would get tetchy. So, as the question has been brought up and I’ve obtained this from ‘a very good source,’ GW is receiving around £14,000 per year. Make of that what you will....... It’s not a football club anymore, it’s a ‘guessing club.’

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

PLAYERS NEWS Empty The Phoenix Club

Post  Boz1964 Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 am

An accurate and sobering report Tim, for New Year’s Eve.

In my opinion the Club died in 2009 and it is only the efforts of those volunteers that performed a life saving operation that we exist at all.

The indication that Fan Ownership has not worked is partly true but if nothing else the diligence, commitment and endeavour on the part of unsung heroes has kept live football in the Town (and at Taff’s Well) going for the last decade- ten years longer than it would otherwise have been.

Yes, like all football fans,I would love to see us rise meteorically like ‘Wimbledon’ FC, but the fact remains we are still blessed to have a team.

The Club like any business is subject to supply and demand.

If there is demand for it....it will survive but only a limited basis.

If we have to let more experienced players leave then there is little we can do.

If we are to have another renaissance then it will have to come from a youth policy of finding talent locally- ie Kerry Morgan, Matthew Harris & Jeff Hurley.

If not we will go the way of Accrington Stanley.

But if nothing else our local unsung heroes have given us a decade of football which we should all appreciate.

So in 2020, whoever leads out the Martyrs, whoever has the unenviable position of picking a team or even running the events gratis- we should look at them with admiration rather than disdain.

They are all trying their best to keep the Club afloat.

Up the Town.

Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:10 am

I have to be sober atm, Boz.But I have one party-popper left over from a NYE at The Imperial, Merthyr, from a few years ago.It is ready, on the piano.
You know more than anyone, that GREAT EXPECTATIONS often end in HARD TIMES.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:59 am

Perhaps Penybont are interested in some of the Merthyr players as they try to avoid relegation in their first season at top level although I don't know their financial situation.
I can't see Merthyr players going across the bridge.....................

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:29 am

We have a great team, a wonderful venue at the SDM Glass Stadium for football & events and fantastic supporters that keep us going at every game. FROM PENYBONT WEBSITE.
AND:-

Here at Penybont FC, we are more than just a football club, this is a place for friends to meet, teams to train and a central hub for the community of Penybont.

We also host fantastic local events that help to bring the people of Penybont together in fun and enjoyment.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down