Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Walton Casuals v Merthyr Town

3 posters

Go down

Walton Casuals v Merthyr Town Empty Walton Casuals v Merthyr Town

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:57 am

FROM WALTON CASUALS WEBSITE

The View From The Oppo this week comes from Merthyr fan Tom Yemm, who forms part of the ‘Merthyr On The Terraces’ fan group.

Tell us about yourself?
TOM:
I’ve supported Merthyr for about 6 years and to be fair I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.   As far as fan organisations I’m in with the Merthyr on the Terraces group, we’ve got a good bunch of lads who travel to every game come rain come or shine.

We had to build a whole new squad over the summer with a new management team.  Was there much change at your end over the summer?
TOM:
There wasn’t much change for us over the summer. We had a couple of players leave for the Welsh leagues but we did sign 5 players which is good.

What were your aims at the start of the season?
TOM:
For me with the team that we have my aim for is playoffs.

You’ve had an inconsistent start to the season, how do you see the first few weeks of the season from a Merthyr perspective?
TOM:
The first few weeks haven’t seen much go our way with results. I’d put it down injuries and players being played put of position and it’s just not happened for us so far, hopefully change of fortune is on the cards for us.

Which of your players are you most excited about this season?
TOM:
For me, Gethyn Hill. From what we’ve seen of him during preseason I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s going to offer us this season.

Who will be the dark horse of the league this season?
TOM:
The dark horse for me if say would be Chesham. With the way they’ve started the season they could be tricky to beat this year

What away day are you looking forward to most?
TOM:
Other than Walton, I’d say Wimborne as we normally have a good welcome down there

Despite only having played each other twice, Merthyr fans are held in high regard by Stags fans.  You came here at roughly the same stage last season on the boat and seemed to have a great time, signing and drinking us dry long after the final whistle and your fans gave us a standing ovation as we left the clubhouse having won to stay up on the last game of the season which was a great touch.  Is there another boat on Saturday and can we expect even more of your fans down here this season?
TOM:
Unfortunately this year we fell short of numbers to do a boat trip this year, but nevertheless we will be in good support again. We have a great bunch of supporters and that showed when you came to is at the end of last season. Hopefully the bar will be stocked up well this year as we never know how many supporters will turn up…

Score prediction?
TOM:
I’m going with a 2-1 Merthyr win #upthetown

Tip for the title?
TOM:
I’d say either Weston or Truro. Having both come down last year they will be looking to go straight back up

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Walton Casuals v Merthyr Town Empty Re: Walton Casuals v Merthyr Town

Post  martyrmark Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:09 am

As some of the forum followers are aware by now, regarding club news, or in our case lack of, I’m becoming a bit like our Prime Minister..... ‘not agreeing, but respecting’ ( Apparently, there’s nothing wrong with that. ) Having read a few brief words from assistant Dean Clarke, on the club’s website, which by the way were made straight after last weekend’s game, there followed more wrong info. ( I suppose it’s better than nothing ). Although it was to do with the opposition, it was still incorrect. Anthony Gayle resigned as Walton Casuals Manager, straight after defeating Merthyr in the last game of last season and having saved them from relegation. Steve Conroy was appointed as their new boss. in June. I understand our Manager, Gavin Williams likes to ‘ keep his cards close to his chest’ but, I bet even he thinks, that’s pushing it a bit, don’t you agree?

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 am

Martyrs 1-0 up. Traylor 51st minute.
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Walton Casuals v Merthyr Town Empty Walton Casuals v Merthyr

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:51 am

Ian Traylor put Merthyr ahead on 51 minutes before Walton levelled on 64 minutes.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:54 am

Walton make it 2-1 in 89th minute.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:03 am

Walton win 2-1

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Carrying on from my previous post, this ‘playing my cards close to my chest’ and ‘keeping the opposition guessing’ method of management by Gavin, surprisingly doesn’t seem to be working. Funnily enough, it didn’t work out last season either, did it? Don’t give me the excuse of injuries anymore, it doesn’t wash. Do you know why? Every club in the country suffers with the same problem and ‘manage accordingly.’ Nine of the team that took the field today, were part of the same team that ended last season and more worryingly, missed out on relegation by just five points. The alarm bells should have started ringing then, but somehow Gavin perhaps, seemed to think there would be a massive turnaround with their level of skill/application etc. to cope in this league. As proved over the past three seasons at least, Ian Traylor, who in my eyes would grace many higher placed non league and in many cases league sides, is fast becoming a one man team. You could call him, ‘Merthyr’s Gareth Bale’ because without him performing, we just can’t function. Along with injured Lewis Binns and Kieron Lewis, there was no Craig McDonnell, Lee Lucas, Owain Jones or Tom Meechan today. But, then I remembered...... it was match day and the guessing began. I have heard a little whisper that Meechan has already left for pastures new, but we may find out if that’s true or not next February? I understand that for some of the academy players, it’s a big step for them to compete at our current level of football, but with the club always emphasising on youth and it’s importance, may I remind you that, not one player has made the squad this season. We’re only just at the end of September and already, we’re playing ‘catch up.’ Out of the FA Cup again, at a very early stage and only the FA Trophy to keep the ‘money’ interest alive, although the management and some players quoted, ‘ they were going for the play offs this year,’ I feel there’s more than a bit of work to do. The club have asked supporters, if they would like to set up a direct debit and pay towards the playing budget? Guess what? I even did that until recently and decided to withdraw, because I couldn’t see where it was going. To cap it all, I even decided not to attend today’s game and it’s a long time since I’ve done that. But, my wallet, like the words of Gavin himself, ‘stayed close to my chest’ and was around £40 better off. Sorry for the result ‘again,’ but at least my Christmas kitty is looking healthier.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down