Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dorchester Defeat

2 posters

Go down

Dorchester Defeat Empty Dorchester Defeat

Post  AHD Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 am

The 7-1 defeat inflicted on The Martyrs by Dorchester Town at Penydarren Park on 12th March 2019 has led me to look through my records (which go back to 1970/71), and to look at two books, “The Official Centenary History of the Southern League” compiled by Leigh Edwards and “Merthyr Town AFC 1908-1934” by Philip Sweet, to ascertain whether it was a record home League defeat.
Since the formation of Merthyr Town FC in 2010, the highest number of goals conceded at home came in the 5-4 defeat by Slough Town (10/10/17). Merthyr Town have lost 4-2 at home on three occasions – against Kettering Town (20/1/18), Dorchester Town (20/2/16) and Bradford Town (5/2/11 played at Taff’s Well). The biggest margin of defeat came in 3-0 losses to Weymouth (3/2/18) and Tiverton Town (30/10/12). Therefore, Tuesday night saw a record home League defeat for Merthyr Town.
As for Merthyr Tydfil AFC, the biggest home defeat occurred before my records began when Cambridge City won 6-0 in the 1969/70 season in the Southern League First Division.
You have to go back to the old Merthyr Town to find an 8-2 home defeat against Brighton and Hove Albion in the 1929/30 season in the Football League Division 3 (South), the club’s last season in the Football League.
Unfortunately, Tuesday saw one of those games when everything went right for Dorchester and wrong for The Martyrs. Keep the faith!!

AHD

Back to top Go down

Dorchester Defeat Empty Re: Dorchester Defeat

Post  geronimo74 Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 am

Our position is getting serious some action must be taken/how is our keeper hope he s OK. Trouble is results like this make our following start to drift away and some won, t come back. Hope Pro's is OK also. I

geronimo74

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum