Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merthyr 1-9 Llanelli

+6
Billy Hunt.
rustic
Old Sod
SUPERMARTYRS
scamp
Solihull Martyr
10 posters

Go down

Merthyr 1-9 Llanelli Empty Merthyr 1-9 Llanelli

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 am

And we led 1-0 briefly!

Rumours that a G Shephard Es has made a £50 bid on Ebay for "Football Cliche Excuses" are believed to be wide of the mark.

On the serious side, lets hope this spanking doesn't dent confidence. I'm told we could have had a couple before scoring. Although Joe Perry in goal also puled of some decent saves.

Best of luck to Sospan in their European exploits.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Merthyr 1-9 Llanelli Empty Re: Merthyr 1-9 Llanelli

Post  scamp Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:25 am

No excuses we were completly outclassed by a better side .Perhaps we should have organised some easier pre season friendlys to start .this is definitely a wake up call for sheppy and co and the club as a whole if we are to have success this season

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPERMARTYRS Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:56 am

Completely outplayed, they were quicker than us to everything, but its the first pre season game.

SUPERMARTYRS

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Yes, we got well stuffed but it was our first game against a good side who've been preparing for a good few weeks for a European game next week. We had a few players missing and it was a mix and match side for the 2 halves with trialists playing. No doubt we'll be flying when the season proper starts.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:11 am

well we all hope so,friendly results dont mean a lot but conceding 9 goals isnt good.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Hunt. Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:02 am

Llanelli have been in pre-season training abit longer than us, it showed as they looked very sharp.

Some positives to be taken from yesterdays match. That's what pre-season is all about.

UP THE TOWN.
Billy Hunt.
Billy Hunt.

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 am

I thought we rode are luck in defence at times last season, and i no it was the first perseason game but we were woeful in defence at times yesterday, in what will probable be a tougher league this season play like that and we will struggle, we need to strengthen especialy in the centre of defence.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Have to agree with you i think all the supporters expect to see an improvement in this area this time round we will struggle iff there is not we have been warned

scamp

Back to top Go down

Merthyr 1-9 Llanelli Empty Merthyr 1-9 Llanelli

Post  CF48 MARTYR Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:59 am

It was a torrid afternoon all round, but wasnt it great to be back home..

I can allow for the following factors as to why we lost the game

Llanelli being all round far better than us
Have a much better and bigger squad, quite a larger budget (6/7 times) more than ours
Being sharper due to more time back training due to Europa league fixtures this week

However, unchallenged crosses both defensivley and in attack is really poor from us, this needs addressing urgently, our defenders were pulled all over the park at times, we need another centre half pronto, a big ball winner who is going to cause problems in both boxes, at least 3 Llanelli goals came directly from unchallenged crosses, throw ins and corners where we didnt even challenge for the headers.. Very worrying.

If the game have just lasted the first 15minutes then I would have been landed as we started the game very well, but after that it all went to pieces..

But.... having said all that, its pre season, thats why the luxury of losing 9-1 at home isnt going to cost us anything, all but a few dented prides.. We Will be back to form no doubt.

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:39 am

The following post is available on the Non League Matters message board;

Merthyr Town 1 - 9 Llanelli
Penydarren Park
Pre Season Friendly
Entrance £5 + £1 programme
Kick-Off 3pm
Att - 312

The gateman welcomed me with the words "the team is back in town and we will not be beaten all season!". For 15 minutes all looked well as Merthyr's mixture of trialists and last seasons players held Llanelli and then went ahead with a well worked goal. From then on however it all went wrong as the fitter and stronger vistors ran riot. Two goals in five minutes put them ahead and then it was a question of how many. Merthyr only had one serious chance for the rest of the game and they were torn apart at the back, especially on the right as the full back went on the missing list.

The one-sided nature of the game was a pity but not entirely unexpected as Llanelli had already played and put out a strong first team in preparation for their upcoming European game against Dynamo Tibilsi. I suspect the Georgians will put up stronger opposition.

Penydarren Park is hidden away in the north of the town with the entrance past the old masonic hall at the end of a cul-de-sac. The ground is a substantial one, having hosted league football until 1930. There is a small and cramped main stand down two third's of one side with a club bar and offices behind it. Two roof level tv camera cabins appears a little optimistic though.

Opposite is an impressive covered terrace that dominates the pitch and standing and watching behind old fashioned crush barriers was a good start to the season. Substantial toilet blocks at either end hint at bigger crowds in previous years. One end has a small stand of terracing converted to seating and the other end has a fifteen step open terrace with the clubs name painted across the brick wall at the back.

The ground needs some work after a year of neglect but that has started and it would not be out of place in Division 4 even today. The chances of getting there appear remote however as this is the third incarnation of the club and the money keeps running out. A good turnout shows promise but to be back in the Southern League would be real progress. This is a ground I have always wanted to visit and being in Cardiff for business was a great opportunity, one of my 2011/12 targets already struck off so a good start!

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  l_thomas9 Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:52 am

I think you mean the left full back. It was his first time playing for Merthyr so I think he was a bit nervous.

Last edited by l_thomas9 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:46 am; edited 2 times in total

l_thomas9

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Llanelli win 2-1 against Dynamo Tibilsi with 2 goals from Jordan Follows but ex Martyr Ashley Morris in goal the star with 3 outstaning saves.Well done Llanelli maybe Saturdays result not so bad after all.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down