Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quiz Question

4 posters

Go down

Quiz Question Empty Quiz Question

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:44 pm

I came across the following quiz question on another Internet site today. Can anyone answer it? (I did, with a bit of research):

What amazing feat was achieved by Manchester United's Bill Hullett on 11 April 1942?

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Quiz Question Empty Re: Quiz Question

Post  Boz1964 Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Did he sink a U- Boat with a cannonball shot?.....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:46 pm

Its too late for the Christmas truce game, so I have a sneaking suspicion he turned out (incognito?) for the other Manchester Team (not Stalybridge!) in a war-time match and scored all the goals for them. It wasn't a hat-trick hat-trick (9 goals) or suchlike was it? Presumably against a Lincoln XI?!!

Rumours Wanderin' in goal on the day strongly denied!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Decent guessing soli
He scored seven goals for lincoln city against mansfield.  This was the best performance away from home for a senior team during the second world war

Admin
Admin

https://mtfcforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:07 pm

OK, so maybe someone found what I coyly referred to as 'another Internet site' with my answer on it!

http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=39720&posts=14

Yes - Hullett turned out for Lincoln as a guest player during his RAF service (scoring 11 goals in 6 games). I only recently found out he was one of the handful of players to have played for both the Martyrs and the Imps - if you count wartime games - otherwise I'd have mentioned it before!
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Not true did discover that lincoln were second on goal ave in league north for season ending 25 dec 1941

Admin
Admin

https://mtfcforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:04 am

Admin wrote:Not true did discover that lincoln were second on goal ave in league north for season ending 25 dec 1941

Yes, it was described as Football League North (First Championship) and was followed two days later by the start of the Second Championship.

Wartime games are a bit of a grey area when it comes to football history, and although there were organised leagues and cup competitions the impression is that it was more like a series of friendly matches especially with clubs fielding guest players.

No doubt Bill Hullett appeared for other clubs during the war, but for the record his games for Lincoln were:

12 April 1941 - Lincoln 5 Leicester City 4 (North Regional League)
4 Oct 1941 - Lincoln 6 (Hullett 1 goal) Sheffield Wednesday 0 (Football League North (First Championship))
21 March 1942 - Doncaster 0 Lincoln 2 (Hullett 1 goal) (Football League North (Second Championship))
4 April 1942 - Lincoln 6 (Hullett 2 goals) Nottingham Forest 5 (same competition, game also counted as first leg match in the League War Cup Round 1)
11 April 1942 - Mansfield 1 Lincoln 8 (Hullett 7 goals) (same competition)
18 April 1942 - Lincoln 2 Mansfield 2 (same competition)
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum