Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Word Cup next round

+3
cliffyboy
Merthyr Imp
scamp
7 posters

Go down

Word Cup next round  Empty Word Cup next round

Post  scamp Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:44 am

Away to Cambrian and clydach  if we are successful against Barry to be played on 2nd 3rd Sept.  Razz

scamp

Back to top Go down

Word Cup next round  Empty Re: Word Cup next round

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:51 am

Information on Twitter is that the away match with Barry will be played on Tuesday 9th September, with the home league game with Shortwood originally scheduled for that night to be played on Tuesday 30th September.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:10 am

What date is the potential 2nd Rd game Question 

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:09 am

cliffyboy wrote:What date is the potential 2nd Rd game Question 

My guess is it's impossible to say at the moment!

The 3rd round is due to be played on 23/24 September, which leaves one midweek date (16 September) after the 9th and before then. That would definitely be blank if we lose to Larkhall in the FA Cup, but otherwise might need to be reserved for a possible replay in the next round (we'd be away to Truro on 13 September).
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Word Cup next round  Empty world cup

Post  douggolfer Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:35 am

Amazed the league will allow us to cancel another midweek game,
Not go to rearrange theses home games could cause problems as we down know
Potential dates of second & third rounds,
What sort of money is involved in this world cup

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 am

douggolfer wrote:What sort of money is involved in this word cup

Total prize money is £15,000:

http://welsh-premier.com/index.php/match/cups/league-cup

According to Wikipedia £10,000 goes to the cup winners, £3,000 to the runners-up and £1,000 to each of the losing semi-finalists.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:54 am

So we,re cancelling home games ,losing revenue and disrupting fixture's for very little return
?

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:03 am

So far we've had to postpone one home game (Shortwood from 9th to 30th September). There's no way of telling yet what will happen if we get past Barry in the first round.

We entered this competition instead of the Red insure League Cup, and I don't know for sure, but I've seen on an Internet forum that the prize money for that is £5,000 for the winners. Don't know if any other participants get anything - I don't believe there's anything for the winners of each round. So the Word Cup seems better in that respect.

Also, we always struggle to get many over 100 spectators for home games in the Red insure Cup, so I think the feeling was that possible home games against Welsh Premier League opposition (if we get that far) would create more interest and draw bigger crowds.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:15 am

I can fully understand dropping out of the red insurance cup(surprised the league allowed us not competing in the red cup) but not happy with cancelling home league games purely on the loss of revenue factor £££££

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:21 am

douggolfer wrote:I can fully understand dropping out of the red insurance cup(surprised the league allowed us not competing in the red cup) but not happy with cancelling home league games purely on the loss of revenue factor £££££

I don't follow you with the 'loss of revenue'. Why should there be a difference in revenue playing Shortwood at home on Tuesday 30th September compared to Tuesday 9th September? You never know, the weather might be better on the 30th and there'll be a bigger crowd!

Or is there football on TV on 30th which there isn't on the 9th?
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 am

Nothing to do with TV , I for one wont be around on 30th planed my games
On the fixture list I had with my season ticket, just believe league games should take priority
Weather &TV have nothing to do with it (but if that's what you want to think carry on)

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:54 am

Would suggest it would be a good idea for the SL now that they have had the foresight to start the season earlier to also extend it by 2 weeks to the 8/9th May, this would reduce the number of midweek league games to just 3 per season. This would then increase Revenue, as Sat games are much better attended than Mid-week matches because many supporters work shifts, some work a fair distance from Merthyr (eg Swindon) and also we have many supporters who travel distances in excess of 1Hr to attend home games. seems a no-brainer to me, so do not know why clubs do not request this change. It would still leave plenty of time for the play-offs and all clubs would benefit as it would also be easier for players as they would not have to request time off work.

Also The Red-Insure cup should be put in the scrap-bin, it is of no benefit or interest to anyone, just a drain on Clubs resources, a totally meaningless competition, so well done to OUR club for having the for-sight like a few other clubs in not entering.

Last edited by KPT1950 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:19 am

KPT1950 wrote:Would suggest it would be a good idea for the SL now that they have had the foresight to start the season earlier

I don't know about foresight - the only reason I've seen for the season starting a week earlier than usual was not to reduce the number of midweek fixtures but because Boxing Day falls on a Friday this year. That means the loss of a set of Saturday fixtures as there are no games the following day. So that was made up for by fitting an extra Saturday in at the start of the season. Well, I suppose they do deserve credit for that rather than having an EXTRA set of midweek games!
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:
douggolfer wrote:I can fully understand dropping out of the red insurance cup(surprised the league allowed us not competing in the red cup) but not happy with cancelling home league games purely on the loss of revenue factor £££££

I don't follow you with the 'loss of revenue'. Why should there be a difference in revenue playing Shortwood at home on Tuesday 30th September compared to Tuesday 9th September? You never know, the weather might be better on the 30th and there'll be a bigger crowd!

Or is there football on TV on 30th which there isn't on the 9th?

Well there is a live TV game on the 9th, Andorra v Wales Euro 2016 qualifier, apparently there are number of Martyrs fans making the trip over there, this live TV game could well affect the gate at Barry. I don't know TBH what time the K.O will be in Andorra.

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Apparently it's a 7.45 pm K.O televised live on Sky Sports  Rolling Eyes 

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:55 pm

The problem is that Merthyr face Word Cup commitments in weeks when they have scheduled SL fixtures. Red Insure Cup games are generally arranged in a week when there aren't any league games, except late in the season, as Tiverton found last term.
I don't think that Word Cup matches will attract more spectators than for RI ties, and an away game in the Word Cup could mean a long midweek trip to n Wales.
The RI Cup doesn't offer much, I agree,but I think the League should insist that all teams play in what is their LEAGUE Cup. After all, the clubs want to play in this League. The Word Cup potentially offers a bigger prize but it seems to have brought a headache...before Merthyr have even played a game!
I think the SL Cup should start before the league fixtures and that would probably mean bigger gates as fans would be ready to return to watching matches after the summer break.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:34 pm

Most of our SL opponents play in their county cups in addition to the RIC.  Those CC games take priority over SL games and I assume the SL are taking that attitude with our Word Cup commitments.  Also unlike our SL opponents we don't have the RIC to take into account.

It has been a bit of a disaster but having a game called off in August because of a waterlogged pitch is something that could not have been foreseen and 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum