Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Wimborne

+14
rustic
hirwaunman
cliffyboy
stevie g
PeterHarman
Cyfarthfa
WorcesterMartyr
Wandering
Old Sod
scamp
MartyrMann
Merthyr Imp
Boz1964
Solihull Martyr
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MERTHYR v Wimborne - Page 2 Empty MERTHYR TOWN vs Wimborne

Post  hirwaunman Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:24 am

Thank you, Old Sod - I wondered about the Bridgwater game and checked, but your correction beat me to the draw.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Wimborne - Page 2 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Wimborne

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:58 am

Fixtures for the season are given in every issue of the match programme, and, yes, show 23rd September as Bridgwater away.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:58 am

stevie g wrote:i don't understand why prosser is always on the bench he made a difference when he came on, our front three must have thought they were playing in the land of the giants

Totally agree about Prosser, I think SJ may have to sacrifice one of our attacking players that played behind Kayne McLaggon yesterday to allow Prosser to come in and form a partnership with him. I notice that we like to play a lot of long balls from the back and to be honest it didn't work in the first half yesterday although McLaggon worked his socks off to win as many headers as he could. Prosser allows us to play that game of playing long balls forward because he brings them down for McLaggon to run onto with his height advantage.
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Quite agree about playing pross,but I think we are going to find teams are going to fill their mid field and defend in depth,they know the way we play and they are not going to sit and let us stroke the ball about.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:16 pm

rustic wrote:Quite agree about playing pross,but I think we are going to find teams are going to fill their mid field and defend in depth,they know the way we play and they are not going to sit and let us stroke the ball about.

Wimborne set up in way yesterday that would stop us in our path and gain at least a point from the game I thought, also they had a game plan of committing a lot of fouls which would break up play, their game plan did work in fairness
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Yes it seems teams don't mind how they stop you playing, it was noticeable last season in the away games I attended, teams put their foot in and also a lot of body checking that does not get any attention from the ref!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  The hairy one Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:36 am

stevie g wrote:i don't understand why prosser is always on the bench he made a difference when he came on, our front three must have thought they were playing in the land of the giants

I do believe Prosser has a back problem that maybe prevents him from playing the whole 90 mins. His twitter feed stated that he had injections in his back over the summer. Perhaps that is why he is normally a sub, to play 25 mins or so if he is needed, as he was on Saturday.
The hairy one
The hairy one

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:06 am

Wimborne Town boss Steve Cuss praises impact of stopper Jason Harvell
Bournemouth Echo

BOSS Steve Cuss saluted the display of goalkeeper Jason Harvell after Wimborne Town had frustrated much-fancied Merthyr Town on their synthetic surface. Harvell pulled off a string of saves to thwart last season’s runners-up and beaten play-off finalists as Magpies claimed a valuable point in South Wales.

The visitors silenced home supporters among a partisan crowd of 421 at Penydarren Park when they opened the scoring through Matt Kemble in the 26th minute. Kemble was on hand to tap home from close range after midfielder George Webb had supplied the assist following a superb burst down the flank.

Harvell was finally beaten when Ryan Newman’s 62nd-minute free-kick found its way through the defensive wall as the Martyrs hit back for a share of the spoils.

Cuss told the Daily Echo: “It was a fantastic result and performance. When the fixtures first came out, we knew we had been given a tough start. We knew we would be up against it a bit so tried to dampen that and started really well. We weathered the first 20 minutes, created a couple of chances and got the all-important first goal which gave us something to defend.

“Although we were still pressing for a second, which we couldn’t quite get, I thought a draw was a fair result in the end and we were delighted with our start. I was pleased with the chances we created but we were indebted to Jason. He made two excellent saves in the first half and an outstanding reaction stop in the second from a close-range volley. His performance was excellent. You need your goalkeeper to play well when you go to the likes of Merthyr and that is what he did. He was definitely man of the match.”

Merthyr, taken over by supporters after the club had gone into liquidation four years ago, laid a 3G pitch as part of a £500,000 revamp thanks to a grant 12 months ago. Asked for his thoughts on the surface, Cuss said: “I am very relaxed about it. I think they have a problem when they go away and play on a grass pitch because they are used to a flat surface. I don’t think it gives anybody too much of an advantage. We enjoyed playing on it and would have no complaints if we had to again.”

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  RJONES90 Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:52 am

thought the town looked good going forward but over egged it a bit in the final third/ Their keeper had a good game mind, onwards and upwards! Hopefully get something out of Bashley on saturday
RJONES90
RJONES90

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffia Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 am

Wandering wrote:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the role that Mr. Russell of Portishead played in the opening goal. Kayne McLaggon appeared to be clearly fouled (he was pushed to the ground), but the official waved play on when he should have awarded us a free-kick in their half. Adam Davies had already committed himself to join the attack and we were exposed on our left flank by the #7 who sprinted clear and crossed the ball for Kemble to score.

We continued to suffer some extremely dodgy refereeing decisions, and by the end there was little else but anger with his overall performance. Even leaving aside the big decisions, it was the little ones that set the tone. We appeared to be penalised on a regular basis that disrupted the flow of play, yet he seemed to allow Wimborne some poetic licence. They benefited from an advantage on a number of occasions (the first goal the most notable), yet the treatment of McLaggon in particular went relatively unnoticed.

That a loud cheer came when he deigned to give us the odd free kick says it all. To be fair, he did spot an infringement in our penalty area that disallowed the visitors a second goal! When he booked Traylor near the end he pointed out two previous challenges that he didn’t like but there were far more infringements, mainly on McLaggon, by various players that he seemed oblivious to.

Remembered him from last season. My youngest, 7, calls him Johnny English, due I suspect to facial similarities not just getting some of the decisions right in the end! Very Happy
Taffia
Taffia

Back to top Go down

Post  douggolfer Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am

Anybody know why Marcus G didn't get a game ? Watched him in training and preseason games he look the business don't think he had a fair crack of the whip last season!!!!!

douggolfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2