Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Swindon Supermarine

+22
RJONES90
GordonTheGopher
Taffia
Benji
Bath Spa
The hairy one
Twyn Jasper
Youngatheart
Tim Drummond
muscles76
marcogilo
Old Sod
Boz1964
mandrake
Nubs
Martyr Weaver
Merthyr Imp
Black Country Martyr
Markymark88
cliffyboy
ron jeremie
Solihull Martyr
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MERTHYR v Swindon Supermarine - Page 2 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Swindon Supermarine

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:08 pm

To confirm it was 5-2. Ian Traylor scored the fifth goal.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Markymark88 wrote:Paulton will have two suspended then?

I'm not sure if suspensions come into force that quickly. We'll wait and see.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Swindon Supermarine - Page 2 Empty Merthyr V Swindon Super

Post  Martyr Weaver Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:18 pm

Well done lads, I was unable to be at tonights game, you have made me very happy as I only came home from the Heath Hospital last night, but I will be fit in time to watch the final, and really looking forward to it; I have every faith we can also win the final!

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:30 pm

Buzzing! Wired! On cloud 10! Roll on Monday. cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  mandrake Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Great result! Now let's make sure we finish the job!  Very Happy Razz 
mandrake
mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 pm

Only one candidate for goal of the season. Gary's second! Very Happy
 farao 
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Tonight's team:

Idzi;
S.Williams,Thomas,Colborne,Summerfield;
Leek,Harris,Newman;
G.Williams;
McLaggon,Traylor:

Subs:
Prosser for G. Williams after about 68 minutes
Morgan for McLaggon after about 83 minutes
M.Griffiths
Cornwall
Charles

With Jamie Rewbury suspended the team was unchanged from Saturday.

After a couple of minutes our first chance came with a shot over the bar by Gavin Williams after Ryan Newman had done well to win the ball in midfield. Then, about 3 minutes later a slip by a defender allowed Ian Traylor to run into space on the left, but he put his shot into the side netting.

Swindon had their first effort on goal after about 11 minutes with a shot from 15 yards which Lee Idzi beat away at the near post. We went straight down the other end and Ryan Newman put a shot inches wide.

We took the lead after about 14 minutes with a long throw on the right by Kris Leek. It was headed on by Andrew Thomas for Gary Colborne to head into the net. We were looking in good form, and after about 20 minutes Gavin Williams intercepted the ball in midfield and gave it to Kayne McLaggon for him to put Ian Traylor through for a shot which the keeper saved.

After about 30 minutes Gavin Williams put a good shot in which just missed the top corner of the goal.

We were continuing to look lively in attack but another goal just wouldn't come, and after about 39 minutes Kayne McLaggon was unable to retain possession, although seeming to be fouled, and Swindon broke forward with Ashley Edenborough scoring with a cross-shot from the right of the area. But about a minute later we were back in front, with a short throw-in for a change down the right, and when the ball was crossed in Kayne McLaggon was unmarked in the middle to head into the net. A minute later we maybe should have scored when we broke down the right and Gavin Williams found Ian Traylor on his own in the middle, but reluctant to shoot straight away the chance went and the ball was cleared. We paid for it just before half time when Swindon equalised again with a goal out of nowhere. Ashley Edenborough, again, got the ball on the edge of the area turned on it and sent in a shot which bounced off the crossbar just inside the post and down and over the line.

We'd perhaps deserved to be in the lead at half time, but hadn't made the most of our opportunities to score. While Swindon's first goal maybe should have been prevented we couldn't do much about the second one.

But about 3 minutes into the second half we took the lead again with a goal out of nowhere of our own. We had a free kick about 40 yards out which was cleared, and the ball lobbed forward again for Andrew Thomas to head it on to Gary Colborne. He hit it perfectly from about 25 yards, the ball going over the keeper and dipping under the bar.

At 3-2 we had to keep going, and Swindon had their best spell of the second half, however hard work kept them at bay, with their best effort being a header just over the bar.

Ryan Prosser replaced Gavin Williams and was involved in the fourth goal that settled everybody's nerves. With Swindon's centre half on the touchline receiving treatment the referee allowed us to get on with the game, and a ball forward was headed on by Prosser for Kayne McLaggon to do well to get to the ball and make an opening for himself to score with a cross-shot from 15 yards out on the right.

On about 79 minutes Lee Idzi had to push away a fierce shot from the right, but about 4 minutes later Ian Traylor put the icing on the cake with his 30th goal of the season. He got hold of the ball midway in the Swindon half and ran forward, taking it inside a defender and from about 20 yards sent in a shot which hit the underside of the bar on the opposite side of the goal from where Swindon had done the same thing, this time with the ball only just crossing the line.

Kerry Morgan replaced Kayne McLaggon straight after the goal for the remaining minutes.

Well, no penalty drama this time round! We were back to our best today, and I refuse to nominate a man of the match - those who have recently been complaining that the team didn't want promotion should have been there tonight.

A great attendance tonight of over 900 - let's hope the size of the win will add a few more still onto the gate next Monday. A surprise that we'll be playing Paulton - maybe the effects of fixture congestion finally caught up with Tiverton as it did with us last year. We should be much better prepared this time round, plus being at home - but we're not promoted yet.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Swindon Supermarine - Page 2 Empty Posting

Post  Boz1964 Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Well two evenly matched teams slugged it out for 60 minutes and whoever scored the 5th goal turned out to be the winner.
Ashley Edenborough showed his class with two well taken hammer shots that gave Idzi no chance.
Swindon played their part in what was another epic encounter....they gave their all...like real Marines...
It was a real showcase for non league football and 8 goals and flowing football reinforced why I love watching such a spectacle .
I think that the 200 fans present in the ground did too.....roll on May Day without the need for any emergency call either....if you can't bring a friend bring a maypole....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:

I'm not sure if suspensions come into force that quickly.  We'll wait and see.

I've been told they will be by tonight's referee & our club sec.  They are a full back and a midfielder.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Swindon Supermarine - Page 2 Empty swindon

Post  marcogilo Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Solihull Martyr wrote:Team: Idzi steveWill Summerfield Thomas Colborne Harris GavWill leek mclaggon Newman Traylor. Subs: Morgan Griffiths Cornwall Charles Prosser

boys were outstanding tonight fab win very hard to pick a player for man of the match
i go for gary colborne ..come and support the boys monday make some noise ...
poor tiverton their manager said he aint worried about merthyr in the final pmsl ..
tonights crowd 920 woo woo ... Very Happy Smile ....

marcogilo

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Swindon Supermarine - Page 2 Empty paulton rovers

Post  marcogilo Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Old Sod wrote:
Merthyr Imp wrote:

I'm not sure if suspensions come into force that quickly.  We'll wait and see.

I've been told they will be by tonight's referee & our club sec.  They are a full back and a midfielder.

dean evans sam teale were sent off for them tonight ...MCcottie 2 mapstone scored their goals ...up the town ... Very Happy 

marcogilo

Back to top Go down

Post  muscles76 Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:00 pm

cracking performance from the town.
seemed a bit more than 920 though.

as for the boys not wanting promotion !!!lol

muscles76

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Yes, I thought the two players sent off for Paulton would still be available next Monday but it seems that different rules apply to the play-offs.
Merthyr Town v Swindon Supermarine was a great advertisement for Calor League football. People I have not previously seen at the Park were impressed.
The score doesn't really do justice to the visitors who were fast and skilful up front and Ashley Edenborough took his goals well, as he always does. But Merthyr's second half display was worthy of the victory. Marine were a bit suspect under pressure but Merthyr's goals were also well-taken. Even Gary Colborne doesn't know how he scored his second! I would give him the Man of The Match accolade.But everyone gave their best.
I was worried at a meeting with Tiverton, if we beat Marine, and so was surprised that they lost to Paulton Rovers, especially as the latter had two players dismissed. But Paulton will not be coming for a day out. We beat them 3-2 at home but crashed 5-2 away.It should be another tense emcounter.
The gate showed that only Merthyr in our division can achieve such an attendance when there is a BIG game- nearly three times the crowd at Tivvy.
And there should be an even larger gate on Monday. We just need to hold on to these people..

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Tim Drummond wrote:The gate showed that only Merthyr in our division can achieve such an attendance when there is a BIG game- nearly three times the crowd at Tivvy.

And a bigger attendance than for tonight's PREMIER Division play-off semi final - 728 saw Chesham beat Stourbridge.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 pm

97.5FM will have a live broadcast of Merthyr v Paulton, Paulton Rovers say.There will also be an online report. There will be a bus for the Paulton supporters.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Youngatheart Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Whatever happens next Monday it has been a great season for someone like me who only watches games in Merthyr. 22 competitive games on the 3g pitch , 19 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss and 77 goals. On top of that we have seen consistent attractive attacking passing football. many congratulations to Garry, Danny and all the players.

Youngatheart

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:00 am

Walking out Last Night us two old brothers, the were two young dads with their young sons 7-8 years old and the little ones were so excited and exclaiming can we come again on Monday, Sez it all really. Also there were several east Europeans, Poles I suppose. Only comments I would like to make is Tubbs was solid and I would like to see our boys doubling up on their wingers to stop the crosses in to the box, saying that it would probably raise other issues.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  The hairy one Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 am

At half time I overheard some Swindon fans talking in the tunnel between the stands as I went to stretch my legs. They had been sat in the stand not far from me and I think they had been subjected to some ribbing from a few Martyrs fans. One of them said. 'I hate Merthyr, I'll be glad to see the back of them.' Let's hope she gets her wish!
The hairy one
The hairy one

Back to top Go down

Post  muscles76 Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 am

look forward to old sod write up .

muscles76

Back to top Go down

Post  Bath Spa Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:32 am

Bath City fan here. Merthyr has always been one of my favourite grounds, a 'proper' ground, and it was well worth driving 140 miles to see last night's match. The pitch is fantastic. Kerry Morgan got his usual 5 minutes! If I weren't out of the country on Monday, I would return for the final. Hope you win it. I thought that the crowd looked a bit more than 920; I guessed around 1100. Excellent night, thanks.

Bath Spa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:55 am

In fairness to the Marine directors and fans, they all agreed that Merthyr deserved the win. And they wished the team best of luck for the final. Probably last season, Merthyr were a little lucky, needing spot-kicks to triumph.But the visitors will be considering The Martyrs as being a stumbling block for them.
Kerry Morgan has been suffering a groin injury and so didn't come on in the previous match at Thatcham.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:24 am

It was a tremendous game last night as both teams tried to play football and we were better!

All the goals were worth the entrance fee alone with the one obvious stand out effort. The Swindon centre half was off having treatment and they did not adjust to take that into account and when Tubbs headed the ball onto Log I don't think anyone in the ground expected what happened next - I doubt if anyone on Question of Sport would guess it either! A few people were worried about their cars parked behind the goal but Log hit the ball so sweetly and it was certainly our goal of the season. This time we managed to hang onto the lead and deservedly extended it with 2 more excellent goals by Kayne & Trayls. Log & Tubbs were excellent in the middle of the back 4 as they had to be as Edenborough & Parsons are probably the best pair of strikers in the division. Every player looked comfortable on the ball and we passed it about well and more than deserved our win.

Up in the bar afterwards a female Swindon supporter reckoned that the game should have been played on a neutral ground due to our pitch. Words such as grapes and sour come to mind as we did outfootball Swindon over the 90 minutes plus the 90 minutes earlier in the season when we stuffed them on grass at Cinderford. No doubt she conveniently forgot that.

I'm glad Tivvy will not be in the final as they've been a bit of a bogey side this season but Paulton cannot be underestimated as in the last 2 seasons they've beaten us 3 times and we only won by the odd goal in 5 at PP earlier in the season.

Still, if we play as well as we did last night we should be OK so hopefully it'll be a case of onwards & upwards once more.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Benji Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:49 am

Thoroughly enjoyed last night! We were great. Another performance next Monday and we should be up.

Great to see fans of other clubs wishing us well, and keeping updated with the match on their forums - Cardiff and County.
Benji
Benji

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:21 am

Twyn Jasper wrote:I would like to see our boys doubling up on their wingers to stop the crosses in to the box, saying that it would probably raise other issues.

Yes, Swindon played with two wing backs and they were possibly their main threat going forward, but I thought Dan Summerfield and Steve Williams both did pretty well against them despite often being left one-on-one.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffia Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:55 am

I'd like to thank the boys for the worst night's sleep in a long time - I was still 'watching' the game in my mind until about 2am!  Very Happy  Fantastic performance from all of the team.
I'd also like to thank the eagle eyed assistant for spotting that Traylor's shot had crossed the line. I was right behind the shot and I could not tell when it bounced down. I looked straight across at him, he confidently raised that flag - good boy!  cheers 

Was it just me, or did anyone else think that there was some good luck with McLaggon's 2nd - just a hint of handball. Still, they average out over the season....
Taffia
Taffia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next