Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Information Required

3 posters

Go down

Information Required Empty Information Required

Post  meurid p Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:31 pm

I have received a letter from a gentleman in Stafford requesting information. He is enquiring if anyone has any knowledge in one of our former players from way back. The details he sent me as follows.
The players name is Bill Moore who it is thought was on our books as either Trainer or Manager in the 1950's, the gentleman goes on to say that whilst playing against us for Cheltenham Town in 1969/70 he was looking at some team photographs in the bar and thinks he recognised the player he is enquiring about who went on to manage Walsall in 1958 to 1963.
If anyone can help this gentleman out if you contact me I will pass on your information to him.

meurid p

Back to top Go down

Information Required Empty Re: Information Required

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:49 pm

This is the Bill Moore who managed Walsall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Moore_(footballer_born_1913)

No mention there of him being associated with Merthyr.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Further information gleaned from Philip Sweet's book: Merthyr Tydfil AFC 1945-1954: The Glory Years':

At the start of the 1946/47 season it's stated: 'Former centre-half William Moore accepted the position of Trainer'

There's no listing of a W. Moore in the teams given for the old Merthyr Town's Football League seasons in Philip Sweet's other book, so it seems he must either have played in the couple of Southern League seasons after the old club lost its Football League place in the early 1930s, or else he played in the 1945/46 season for the new Merthyr Tydfil FC in the Welsh League.

'Trainer Billy Moore' features in a photo on page 24 of the above book. The only other mention I can find is that at the start of the 1947/48 season Billy Moore had left to join former Merthyr manager Jock McNeil at Torquay United.

So it seems likely he was a different Bill/Billy Moore to the Walsall manager.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 am

I agree with the Imp. I would suggest that the Billy Moore at Merthyr as a trainer was William Albert Moore who was born in Llanbradach in 1912 and played for Cardiff City, Southampton and Wolves in the thirties. He was a Left Half. Just an educated guess though.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum