Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penydarren Park name change

+14
smallfeet
Mountain Ash
OWNES1
Twyn Jasper
Benji
scamp
cliffyboy
Club Shop
GordonTheGopher
Merthyr Imp
jeffh
Boz1964
MattMartyr87
WSCEvans
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Penydarren Park name change Empty Penydarren Park name change

Post  WSCEvans Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:25 am

Doesnt take long for the jokes to come out over our name change Im sure Boz will like this one:) 

"knew this would get dragged up.heared about it a few weeks ago and did not believe it, but as they say no smoke without fire.On the lighter side they will get some cash which will bolster the side after running out of puff at the final hurdle last season.But for some its all too much...........one supporter said its the straw that broke the camels back.Well think on coz they mayfair better with this money, get promoted and have a right regal celebration. "

Lol some classics on the cardiff forums !!
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park name change Empty Re: Penydarren Park name change

Post  MattMartyr87 Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 am

Hahaha!

In my opinion, this really will help us financially so I welcome it. The name is quite frankly hilarious, we must expect a comedy backlash from this. The Cigg-e Stadium is such a Valleys concept, it does make me laugh.

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 am

Nice one my nomadic quadruped friend....how dare anyone steal my thunder...on the way back from cinderford last night for an hour , .we regular forumites were discussing which players might be invited to honour the opening of the new stadium....the names Alan Stubbs was mentioned along with Nicky Butt .(thank you Ownes) ...Ricky Lambert ( thank you Durham exile) but only if his manservant was in attendence....think about it...but my favourite was Andy King( size)......any other suggestions out there?.....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park name change Empty BREAKING NEWS!

Post  MattMartyr87 Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 am

BRAKING NEWS FROM THE CIGG-E STADIUM!

New signings Tony Hedges and Ron Benson!

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park name change Empty Name change

Post  jeffh Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:15 pm

With the name change at PP and the demolition of strikers, we should remember the finest benefactor at the park, Maldwyn Davies. A sign on top of the drive dedicated to Pall Mal

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Boz1964 wrote:Nice one my nomadic quadruped friend....how dare anyone steal my thunder...on the way back from cinderford last night for an hour , .we regular forumites were discussing which players might be invited to honour the opening of the new stadium....the names Alan Stubbs was mentioned along with Nicky Butt .(thank you Ownes) ...Ricky Lambert ( thank you Durham exile) but only if his manservant was in attendence....think about it...but my favourite was Andy King( size)......any other suggestions out there?.....boz
Well apparantly the new sponsors were thinking of inviting down "Eden Hazard" of chelsea but a spokesman thought he'd pose a fire risk, they may now "light up" the press conference and get onboard "ASHley Williams". They are now looking overseas and "Corey ASHE" a MLS player may be onboard to spark some life into the club.Very Happy 
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park name change Empty name change

Post  jeffh Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Many supporters leave a death wish that their ashes be spread on PP. . Will this end now as there is no ashes on Cig e stadium.

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:42 pm

Good one Jeff H ....with the speed of the new 3G pitch and our young strike force to rival the Jamaican sprint team...Messrs Traylor, Morgan and the Rhondda Greyhound..the hour and a half pitch time will fly by.....at the Cig E it definately won't ' drag' .....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Merthyr Town Football Club is to rename its ground the Cigg-e Stadium after its sponsor, an electronic cigarette firm.

The Southern League club has signed a three-year deal with the company which has just opened a shop in the town.

Club officials said they had been trying to find a sponsor at Penydarren Park since fans took over following liquidation three years ago.

But a doctors' professional body said the marketing, sale and promotion of E-cigarettes should be restricted.

Electronic cigarettes will be licensed as a medicine in the UK from 2016 under new regulations.

Brent Carter, Merthyr Town's business development manager, said: "For the football club itself it brings stability for next three years.

"We have got an academy with 180 kids here and it's great for the community."

In response to the fact that E-cigarettes are not currently licensed, he said: "I've got an open mind."

Merthyr Tydfil Football Club stand
Fans took over when the club went into liquidation three years ago
E-cigarettes turn nicotine and other chemicals into a vapour that is inhaled.

The UK currently has few restrictions on their use despite moves in some countries to ban them.

Sales of tobacco-free cigarettes have boomed worldwide since bans on smoking in public places were introduced.

But BMA Cymru Wales, responding to the renaming of Merthyr's ground, said the sale and use of E-cigarettes needed to be regulated urgently "to ensure they are safe, quality assured and effective at helping smokers to cut down or quit".

"We need to restrict their marketing, sale and promotion so that it is only targeted at smokers as a way of cutting down and quitting and does not appeal to non-smokers, in particular children and young people," said senior public affairs officer John Jenkins.

E-cigarette firm boss Lee Woolls said the company already sponsored a rugby club in Caerau, Cardiff, and wanted to support local communities - and hoped to bring its overseas production to the south Wales valleys.

Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) supports regulation but says that "in the absence of harm to bystanders, [it] does not consider it appropriate to include E-cigarettes under smoke-free regulations".

Mr Woolls said medical regulation was not necessary and council trading standards departments could monitor their use.
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:34 pm

therovingsheep wrote:
"We need to restrict their marketing, sale and promotion so that it is only targeted at smokers as a way of cutting down and quitting..."
That's how it's advertised on the back of the match programme.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47 pm

So it looks like I'm going to have to say Cigg-e instead of Penydarren on match highlights. That's to be hard to do without laughing first time around.

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 pm

MattMartyr87 wrote:So it looks like I'm going to have to say Cigg-e instead of Penydarren on match highlights. That's to be hard to do without laughing first time around.
Cool 
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Yes I agree it will be strange but you could always say, welcome to the Cigg-e Stadium at Penydarren Park.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:01 pm

It's actually incredible how quickly things have gone over the last 3 years. Well done everyone!

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  Club Shop Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:38 am

Any plans to announce how much this sponsorship deal is worth? Let's face it, it's not an attractive name for a football (or any other) stadium but if the income means it helps us get promoted in the next season or two then it's just about worth it.

Is there going to be an 'e-cigarette' section at the Theatre End?
Club Shop
Club Shop

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:52 am

A lot of Martyrs fans including myself were unaware that the Park had already been re-named the Cigg-e- stadium until they bought a programme at Cinderford on Tuesday evening, there on the front "Welcome to the Cigg-e-stadium" home of Merthyr Town FC. On the subject of the programme front I would like to see a better pic of Kerry Morgan on there, the pic featured he looks like a tall dwarf !

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:05 am

And from the next edition of the programme onwards the club's address inside will be shown as:

The Cigg-e Stadium,
Penydarren Park,
Park Terrace,
Merthyr Tydfil,
CF47 8RF
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:54 am

BREAKING NEWS
Manchester united have terminated the contract of ryan ciggs who is to join merthyr town.There has been an issue with his name for a long time at utd ,They feel the wrong message to younger people and the hard of hearing is given out by his surname.giggs-e said he will be welcomed at merthyr with the ground being named after him.With the crowd shouting the name ciggs-e at home games will spur him on to improve his game.

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Benji Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:58 am

According to the mirror its saying the deal is worth a reported £60,000. Which sounds about right to me, im sure I read on the web site a while back that it was about £25k per season for naming rights.

Any confirmation of this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/merthyr-town-controversy-football-ground-2207783
Benji
Benji

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:21 am

I think that the majority of fans are in favour of this sponsership.The hardcore fans now how difficult it has been to survive in the past.It will still be recognized by us supporters as pp so what is the problem.I suggest that all those fans who oppose the name club together and denote 60k so that we can survive and have stability in the coming years.To put it mildly us who have put our efforts in keeping the club going in past years it comes as a breath of fresh air to have good news like this.

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:25 am

It must be true £60.000 over 3 years because it is also in the Sun the oracle of all news, the Cigg-e advertising department must be rubbing their hands? They have had unprecedented media coverage from all corners. How much would it have cost them for this type of Press, TV & not forgetting Social Media? and hold on we have not played on it yet, I would imagine if we had named the stadium Parc Y cigg-e everyone would have thought it was welsh and would be non the wiser?

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park name change Empty name change

Post  jeffh Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:47 am

I understand that for the next season the Theatre end will be a no swearing area, It will be called Fans and gentlemen or For short THE FAG END.

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Penydarren Park name change Empty NAME CHANGE

Post  OWNES1 Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am

GARY AND DANNY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO NAME THE TEAM ON THE BACK OF A FAG PACKET NOW LIKE MIKE BASSETT. MY ASHES WILL NOW GO ELSEWHERE.Laughing 

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:23 pm

I hope that now the air has cleared that the people who haven't supported the club for years just ' packet' in....and stop criticising the brave decision to get a sponsor like this...it won't be a ' drag' for me to go to the cigg- e stadium .....I just hope that in three years time would be sponsors tampax aren't waiting in the wings.....there is no such thing as bad publicity unless your Gerald Ratner that is.....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Benji wrote:According to the mirror its saying the deal is worth a reported £60,000. Which sounds about right to me, im sure I read on the web site a while back that it was about £25k per season for naming rights.

Any confirmation of this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/merthyr-town-controversy-football-ground-2207783
There is a pdf document on the website that lists all the commercial and sponsorship opportunities. I believe ground naming rights is 20k per year.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

http://www.italianfilmreview.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next