Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomorrows match v Clevedon is OFF

+5
MattMartyr87
Tim Drummond
Merthyr Imp
Wandering
Jamie Mack
9 posters

Go down

Tomorrows match v Clevedon is OFF Empty Tomorrows match v Clevedon is OFF

Post  Jamie Mack Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 am

Tomorrows match is OFF.

Jamie Mack
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tomorrows match v Clevedon is OFF Empty Re: Tomorrows match v Clevedon is OFF

Post  Wandering Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 am

Merthyr coping with fixture backlog
Terry Phillips, South Wales Echo

MERTHYR Town have had a series of EvoStik Southern League fixtures postponed, but they are still able to cope with the backlog of matches.

“We’ll be playing Saturdays and Tuesdays for some time, but the situation is okay right now,” says club secretary Jamie Mack. “If we had a few more called off it would begin to become a concern, but all postponed matches have been slotted into a new date.”

The Martyrs are due to play three successive home matches at Penydarren Park, starting with the visit of Clevedon Town this Saturday (3pm). Taunton Town are at Merthyr next Tuesday (7.45pm) and Bishops Cleeve are visitors on the first Saturday in February.

Joint managers Garry Shephard and Danny Carter have a fully-fit squad as they prepare for the second half of the Martyrs’ League season.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 am

So far the games at Cinderford and Shortwood in our division tomorrow have also been postponed, along with a total of nine games in the orther two Southern League divisions.

Seems the regulation about not being able to call off games the day before must have been relaxed.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:39 am

Well, it makes sense, I suppose. If a pitch is covered in snow this afternoon, there is no chance of playing tomorrow. And, of course, there is also the health and safety aspect re the terraces.
Fingers crossed for Tuesday now....

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 am

Yeh I'm not surprised, althought I do hope we get some luck on Tuesday. This might be the chance to some momentum going into the last half of the season. If we don't pick up any injury concerns as well.

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Tomorrows match v Clevedon is OFF Empty Clevedon game off

Post  Boz1964 Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:21 am

I have the shakes....I look longingly when any spherical object crosses the ground....the withdrawal symptoms are showing....fingernails are regrowing....I have started to use vocabulary without swear words.....I went to the doctor and asked him what was the martyr with me...I know the papers say everyone in Merthyr is on the sick...I feel so desperate...I could kick a ballboy when he was down...the doctor said I am suffering from snow blindness chilblains and frozen piles....I miss penydarren park...can t we get a Cardiff devils reserve team going? Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:49 pm

If you're that desperate for a game, you're welcome to come to Rye v Guernsey FA Vase - last 32. Looks like we might get a game on at the third attempt.

I imagine Guernsey will be Step 4 next season assuming the Ryman will accept them. Seem a decent bunch, and crowds of 1000+ just for a run of the Mill league game.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:36 pm

That's interesting about Guernsey - hadn't realised they had a team in an English league. Hope you don't have to visit them for a midweek replay!

Just think, we could be playing them next season if they were to be be promoted and accepted into the Southern League instead of the Ryman and if we don't go up ourselves.

I see that Guernsey are 22nd in that list of the top 250 average attendances mentioned on another thread - better than several Blue Square Premier sides. Their club secretary is the brother of Matt Le Tissier (who is Club President).

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Think Graeme Le Saux also has a Channel Island connection...
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:00 am

The deal that Guernsey have with the Combined Counties League seems to be based on their being based at Gatwick. Between Gatwick and Guernsey, I understand that a package is provided by Guernsey of 25 flights to the island for players and staff. Probably the match officials as well. If they didn't have those monstrous crowds, that would be a bit of an issue.

I think that the same probably applies in the Vase. On that basis, provided that we don't lose today, we get a trip out either to Guernsey or to Spalding (probably) in the next round.

I think it is a real possibility that they could end up in the Southern if the Ryman don't go for the deal, with a similar arrangement based on Southampton airport. The Ferries end up in Southern League country too.

Matt Le Tissier is president. Graham Le Saux is from Jersey, I thought. They (Jersey) have appeared in one of the higher tiers of English rugby, presumably with a similar arrangement.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Tomorrows match v Clevedon is OFF Empty Rye smile

Post  Boz1964 Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:16 am

If I could get an electric Zimmer or a really long stannah stairlift I would take u up on your offer...I hope you get the result you want today...my loyalties lie with localities....hope the home keeper turns into the catcher in the rye......shopping with the wife instead....damn this snow...boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:03 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:So far the games at Cinderford and Shortwood in our division tomorrow have also been postponed,

Bridgwater v Poole and North Leigh v Swindon Supermarine also now postponed today.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:20 am

timshorts wrote:If you're that desperate for a game, you're welcome to come to Rye v Guernsey FA Vase - last 32. Looks like we might get a game on at the third attempt.

I imagine Guernsey will be Step 4 next season assuming the Ryman will accept them. Seem a decent bunch, and crowds of 1000+ just for a run of the Mill league game.

Being desperate for a game a few of us took in Barry Town against Ponterdawe in the Welsh Cup yesterday. Barry won 2-1 in a not very good game. Pont missed a penalty which saved us from extra time! We spent the 2nd half with Dozza who now plays for Barry although he was suspended for yesterdays game. The refs in the Welsh League seem to have it in for him!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am

Old Sod wrote:Being desperate for a game a few of us took in Barry Town against Ponterdawe in the Welsh Cup yesterday. Barry won 2-1 in a not very good game. Pont missed a penalty which saved us from extra time! We spent the 2nd half with Dozza who now plays for Barry although he was suspended for yesterdays game. The refs in the Welsh League seem to have it in for him!

There's desperate. Our website guy (the one who has got Amersham 7 points deducted this season after he discovered that they were playing a ringer - who turned out to be an ex-Eastenders "Star") - is a Barry supporter. Poor Sod.

Wearing the lucky Merthyr shirt didn't work on Saturday either. It ended up 6-5 to Guernsey after extra time. We'd be lucky if they end up in the Southern League. A great bunch of players and friendly and genuine supporters. Yes, we lost, but that was the best cup tie I've seen in years.

and the le Tissier nose runs in the family..........

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down