Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I miss....

4 posters

Go down

What I miss.... Empty What I miss....

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:57 pm

I miss the midweek games we used to have. With 19 teams in WL Div 1 last season, I believe we had just two midweek games at Taff's Well all season.
This season there are 18 sides in the Premier and we have had just one home league game in midweek all season. And I believe there is only one more scheduled - Radstock on April 17.
I enjoyed the bar banter after a Tuesday night game although whereas years ago, there were good attendances in midweek, recent years have seen poorer crowds for night matches.
Apart from the possibility of replaying Cup matches, there doesn't seem to be a great need for floodlights at Western League clubs, other than, of course, because they want to kick off at 3pm all the season.
It's just my personal opinion and because I rarely stay long after a Saturday match but used to after a Tuesday night fixture.
Even if Merthyr go through to the final of The Les Phillips Cup, we will have played only 47 league and Cup games all season.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

What I miss.... Empty Re: What I miss....

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 am

Yes, there do always seem to be lower crowds at night matches, so my view is it's not such a bad thing.

What's new to us this season is playing the Les Phillips Cup matches on Saturdays. In the Southern League the League Cup games always had to be fitted in on midweek dates, and I think attendances suffered twice - due to lack of interest in the competition and due to being night matches. Last Saturday's gate was the first I can remember being over 200 for a League Cup match, I'm sure it would have been less on a Tuesday night.

I see there are currently 21 clubs in the Southern League Divison 1 South & West, so let's hope we'll have more games to fit in next season!

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:44 am

Tim Drummond wrote:It's just my personal opinion and because I rarely stay long after a Saturday match but used to after a Tuesday night fixture.
Yes, you tend to only come out at night, don't you!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

What I miss.... Empty what I miss

Post  joan of ark Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Well it's just my opinion, but you can't beat the atmosphere of a mid-week evening match, up at PP under the floodlights. Nothing like it. Wonderful. The atmosphere more than made up for the smaller crowd numbers, if that was the case -- don't have stats on figures. Mind you I'm going back a few years now.

joan of ark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum