Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corsham v MERTHYR

+12
Typey
GordonTheGopher
joan of ark
rustic
gwynne61
Tim Drummond
scamp
Mountain Ash
Wandering
Merthyr Imp
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Solihull Martyr
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Corsham v MERTHYR - Page 4 Empty Re: Corsham v MERTHYR

Post  scamp Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:40 am

Nice to see my hopefull thinking for the return of the newport boys has partly come about.Well done stop me moaning for the time being

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:16 am

scamp wrote:I think all the teams around us are a threat to our promotion hopes not just hallen .Irrespective if they have applied for promotion or not does not matter they wiil want to finish in the top two as a matter of pride for the club they represent

Indeed, indeed. But my point was not that I in anyway disagree with what you are saying, more that in looking at the teams ahead of us it is important to be aware of those who are not the 3 above us. Hallen in particular, a team that has been discussed less on these forums throughout the season while there has been speculation galore about if Larkhall does this or Willand that, and so on. I was more flagging Hallen up than trying to denigrate the Larkhalls and so on. Promotion hopes, it might be added, could be sunk by teams whose results run against form. The Radstocks and Corshams of the league. Every point counts, it is that close.

As I understand it, Corsham have a few decent results against top end of the table teams, games that, on paper at least, they would have been expected to lose. I take nothing for granted.

On a different note, I am going to have to take a look at the fixtures as I really need to pick the games I can attend over the next few weeks as the post-xmas bank account still looks a little on the empty side. Originally my plan was to skip the cup fixture and go to one of the subsequent away games but typically as Saturday draws closer the call to football draws ever stronger and it is likely I will come over Saturday. After all, who could resist the chance to see league officials pulling their balls out post-match.

Having the cup draw on Saturday adds another bit of excitement to the day, lets hope its not spoiled by a loss to Elmore as we continue the march towards wherever it is that the Les Phillips cup final is to be played. Though not as exciting as a decent Welsh Cup or Vase run would have been it is still silverware.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

http://www.italianfilmreview.com/

Back to top Go down

Corsham v MERTHYR - Page 4 Empty Corsham

Post  jeffh Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 am

It is good to see the comments on last nights game and shows the strenth of interest in our club. Disapointing as the result was , we are still in with a shout and are the team they all want to beat. I would like to now were the 12 cheece and onion rolls worth the trip ? did our supporters manage to obtain one ?. Roll on Saturday , I havent seen a game this year so hoping to see some goals for us,

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Post  abercwmboi martyr Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:43 am

Disappointing result really, we dominated the first half but never really created anything, second half was poor and they had one or two chances. Good performance by Mikey Ley! Was bitterly disappointed last night but come round to the fact this morning that we are still in an excellent position and its still there for the taking. Now, LETS GO AND WIN THIS LEAGUE!

abercwmboi martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:54 am

It was diappointing last night. We started really well and Prosser's goal should not have been disallowed - I was in line but the lino wasn't and he guessed. For the first 10 or 15 minutes we were all over them making their defence look poor and I thought it would only be a matter of time before we scored. Maybe some the players felt that as well and we may have taken our foot off the gas. In the end I was grateful for the draw. Mike made a couple of good saves although his lack of communication caused a few problems on occasions.

We did have a defensive midfield but that was due to circumstances. I would have liked us to have played a 4-4-2 when Marcus came on. Rather than taking off Traylor who admittedly did fade after a bright start I would have removed Jamie Thomas who looked knackered, moved Archie back and pushed Welshy up front as their centre halves weren't the tallest and the robust Welsh would have caused problems. Prosser seemed to be drifting out to the wings too much for my liking and as a result after the first 15 minutes we didn't pressurize their back 4 - or 8 at times. Corsham timewasted from the start and were more than happy with the draw. Their goalie was taking an age to take free and goal kicks and it was well after 80 minutes before the officials took an interest.

Fair play to Corsham - they played for a draw and got it. Again, as usual, the locals were great and they did sell chips so I owe them an apology. I didn't try them nor the Cheese & Onion rolls as I stopped at a chippy in Corsham and had an excellent pie & chips - maybe Typey & the Pres should have chosen that option.

Only 3 positives from yesterday - the performance of Steve Williams who had an excellent game, Bitton dropping a couple of points turning our result into a point gained, and Ryan Newman signing. Jamie did the paperwork yesterday but too late for him to play last night. If he had it may have been a different story.

Best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to Sheppy's wife. He was in the best place last night. Danny was stuck on the A40 with a minibus full of kids and again he had his priorities righ. If they had been there they would have been going spare!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Problems as experienced by Shep and Danny are what happens in football at this level. Too often, people measure it up with what goes on at full-time professional clubs and you just cannot do that!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 pm

I don't remember very many instances of Merthyr Tydfil buying or selling players.
I think the club were owed a certain amount from Chester after the number of games that Cortez Belle did play. But whether that money ever materialised I don't know as Chester were cash-strapped at the time!
In the 1960s Alan Wharton of Rhymney, who died two years ago, was sold from Merthyr to Swansea City for £1,000. Wharton was at the time in Merthyr's Youth side.£1,00 was a lot of money then!
I think also in the 1960s when John Preece was manager, Merthyr may have paid for Micky Harris, who was with Berwick Rangers but was from Hereford.
Of course, Ray Pratt was sold to Exeter City, and Gordon Davies to Fulham, both in the 1970s, the only substantial sales from the club, I would have thought.
Jimmy Mullen transferred Dean Clarke to Newport County and brought Gary Shephard back in return and I think there may have been some money involved in the deal as well.
There could have been a fee involved when Merthyr signed Russell Lewis from Kettering when Lyn Jones was Martyrs boss. I am not sure. Lewis wanted to return home to Wales.
Lyn Jones also signed Phil Evans from Bridgend. I know they wanted a fee but whether they did receive one afterwards, I don't know.
In the lower reaches of non-league soccer, I think reported transfer fees between clubs at a similar level can be taken with a pinch of salt as whether money actually changes hands is dubious.
Transfers to League clubs usually stipulate a player must play X League games before any worthwhile fee is paid.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Mountain Ash wrote:
On a different note, I am going to have to take a look at the fixtures as I really need to pick the games I can attend over the next few weeks as the post-xmas bank account still looks a little on the empty side. Originally my plan was to skip the cup fixture and go to one of the subsequent away games but typically as Saturday draws closer the call to football draws ever stronger and it is likely I will come over Saturday.

lets hope its not spoiled by a loss to Elmore as we continue the march towards wherever it is that the Les Phillips cup final is to be played.

Well, after Saturday we're not at home again until 3 weeks later - against Larkhall on 10th March. After that, better save up for 3 home games in a 3 weeks - 24th March, 31st March and Good Friday, 6th April.

Re the Les Phillips Cup, it appears the final is played on a neutral ground. Last season's final was between Ilfracombe and Cadbury Heath and played at Wells City's ground. How the location of the final is chosen I don't know.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:10 pm

The best deal i can remember for merthyr was for ray pratt going to exeter for 15000 pounds .We also sold nick deacy to hereford for for about 2500 pounds.The sale of gorden davies did not bring much rewards for the club if i vaguely recollect because he done a u turn and went to fulham instead of another club which i cannot put a name to which was willing to pay us a five figure sum and also let him stay with us until the end of the season.This was important to the club at the time because we were in the quarter finals of the fa trophy and had a great chance of going to wembly.This was a big dissapointment to us at the time as one can imagine

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
Mountain Ash wrote:
On a different note, I am going to have to take a look at the fixtures as I really need to pick the games I can attend over the next few weeks as the post-xmas bank account still looks a little on the empty side. Originally my plan was to skip the cup fixture and go to one of the subsequent away games but typically as Saturday draws closer the call to football draws ever stronger and it is likely I will come over Saturday.

lets hope its not spoiled by a loss to Elmore as we continue the march towards wherever it is that the Les Phillips cup final is to be played.

Well, after Saturday we're not at home again until 3 weeks later - against Larkhall on 10th March. After that, better save up for 3 home games in a 3 weeks - 24th March, 31st March and Good Friday, 6th April.

Re the Les Phillips Cup, it appears the final is played on a neutral ground. Last season's final was between Ilfracombe and Cadbury Heath and played at Wells City's ground. How the location of the final is chosen I don't know.

Well it seems I will be going Saturday, and will hopefully make one or two of the away games. I am not overly enthused by the Les Phillips cup to be honest but will come along to support the team anyway. To be honest I will probably not miss a game apart from the midweek away trip and the bank account will still be threadbare going into the spring. Maybe start saving at the end of the season lol. Am I bad?

All week I have said to my wife that we should have a quiet Saturday at home and save the shekels but as the days have ticked on I have talked more and more about this weekend fixture. Last night before work I said "sod it, lets go to the game" and she replied "knew it!"
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

http://www.italianfilmreview.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:22 am

The Les Phillips Cup may not excite the fans but it is a big thing for the League. And their officials will be at P Park to make the draw for the next round after the match.
Elmore and the League hear of big gates at Merthyr so we don't want to let them down by a poor attendance.
And if Merthyr win the trophy, I am sure that the Martyrs fans will be happy. The silver cabinet is looking a bit neglected.
And tomorrow's game will keep the players sharpened up for the rest of the League programme.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Corsham v MERTHYR - Page 4 Empty Re Jamie Adams

Post  Dave Bristol Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 am

In response to posts regarding Jamie Adams, I was interested to read fans comments. Jamie
played for Manor Farm as a member of the first team but all first team players are registered for
the reserves who play in a Bristol league. Many of the first team players have figured in the reserves. Jamie was used as a utility player playing in defence, midfield and as a striker. His main position which he played for Clevedon Town was as an attacking midfield player.
Jamie featured in matches against teams such as Bitton (away), Wells City (away), and Weston Super Mare in the cup to name a few.
In the Bitton game Jamie received an injury at the start of the 2nd half whilst playing as striker, which meant he was out injured for over a month.
Prior to Bristol Manor Farm, Jamie spent time at Bristol Rovers Centre of Excellence, represented Somerset FA and Somerset Schools from the age of 16-18 and he also played for Clevedon United in the Toolstation Division 1. Whilst playing for Clevedon Town U18 Jamie was included in their first team in the Zamaretto Premier league. Jamie subsequebently left for a scholarship in the USA but returned later in the year to play for Clevedon Town in the Southern League.
Although Jamie played as striker for Manor Farm the position he is comfortable with is as an attacking midfield player behind strikers. He likes to pass the ball and keep posession.
Hope this will clarify any confusion and we believe Jamie is really enjoying his time at Merthyr and is enjoying the team spirit and support from the players and fans.

Dave Bristol

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:40 am

thank you dave,very informative.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:41 am

Cheers, Dave. More background information which is always handy. I did say he seemed to be more of an attacking midfielder in what I have seen so far!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Corsham v MERTHYR - Page 4 Empty re: Jamie Adams

Post  joan of ark Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks very much Dave Bristol. I did tell the lads over this side of the water that Jamie was a first team player but got told he wasn't! I did read a bit about Jamie but not in the detail that you've provided. Tell me something do female football fans have such a hard time in Bristol! Anyway JA sounds like an extremely useful lad. I hope he gets his chance at Merthyr and developes his game well.

joan of ark

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 am

scamp wrote:Well done stop me moaning for the time being
Is that possible?!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Didn't we once pay Newport £6K to bring Craig Lima back? Wasn't he also a part-time model? (Mind you, I'd look beautiful playing alongside Logger!) Personally, I always thought he played like a Taylors dummy!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4