Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Street

+15
A465 Martyr
GordonTheGopher
cliffyboy
Wandering
Dai Bando
scamp
Old Sod
Tim Drummond
Merthyr Imp
NP23 jack/martyr
Mountain Ash
the3amigos
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
paddymartyr
Solihull Martyr
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

MERTHYR v Street - Page 3 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Street

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 am

Mountain Ash wrote:
Tim Drummond wrote:
I am not really keen on those pitchero websites, to be honest, as they all look the same.

Funny enough, that was pretty much my thought too, they seem to be pretty much generic with little scope for customisation beyond a logo and colours.

I know what you mean, but they're not all the same in terms of content. I think there's plenty of scope with them, but comparing club with club not all make full use of it. I get the impression that some clubs, especially at our level, don't have anyone with the time and inclination to make full use of their sites. I'm sure James/Steve will do so!

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 am

paddymartyr wrote:
Mountain Ash wrote:
Tim Drummond wrote:
I am not really keen on those pitchero websites, to be honest, as they all look the same.

Funny enough, that was pretty much my thought too, they seem to be pretty much generic with little scope for customisation beyond a logo and colours.

There are two advantages with pitchero. 1. It doesn't cost any money. 2. You don't need any web design skills, if Jamie could set one up anyone can Smile Smile (sorry Jamie couldn't resist that Smile )
Agreed their about as common as Mo off Eastenders and no individualist skills needed or allowed.
But that's what the club want.

There is an advert on tv for a place where you can get a website for your business up and running in seconds. As someone who taught himself html and css maybe a decade ago and also dabbled in php and javascript I am pretty down about the de-skilling of my craft! Even myspace, as horrible as it looked, has done away with customisation and also, I believe, has youtube. But these days the most important thing is connectivity of a site anyway as not everyone these days views these sites on a pc or mac, nor necessarily by actually visiting the site- rss readers and so on. But still, web 2.0 was the death of the art of web design, its all clean fonts and minimalism! Having said that geocities used to play host to some of the ugliest websites imaginable so perhaps less is indeed more.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

http://www.italianfilmreview.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:56 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
Mountain Ash wrote:
Tim Drummond wrote:

I know what you mean, but they're not all the same in terms of content. I think there's plenty of scope with them, but comparing club with club not all make full use of it. I get the impression that some clubs, especially at our level, don't have anyone with the time and inclination to make full use of their sites. I'm sure James/Steve will do so!

I have come across one or two picheroo pages that have had some decent customisation, indeed to the point when I was surprised to discover that there was indeed picheroo running under the hood. But the basic change colours and upload a logo approach tends to make many of them look the same. Some clubs on the other hand have done a bang on job with it.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Mack Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:54 pm

[quote="paddymartyr"]
Mountain Ash wrote:
Tim Drummond wrote:

There are two advantages with pitchero. 1. It doesn't cost any money. 2. You don't need any web design skills, if Jamie could set one up anyone can Smile Smile (sorry Jamie couldn't resist that Smile )
Agreed their about as common as Mo off Eastenders and no individualist skills needed or allowed.
But that's what the club want.

Ha ha, quite right Tony. I would also like to add my thanks to Tony, he has been a great asset to the club and I think he developed an excellent website for us.

Jamie Mack
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Having had a glance at the new website before it goes live, it does not look like the
standard pitchero site and has been customised to a considerable extent.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Tony for all that he has done for the club in the last year or so. Tony has always responded very promptly and positively to any requests to update the site and it has been a pleasure working with him.

We are moving to a new website because Steve Lloyd's role very much includes a marketing function. As part of his role to market all aspects of the club's activities Steve needs to have direct access to a website.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:24 am

John Strand wrote:Having had a glance at the new website before it goes live, it does not look like the
standard pitchero site and has been customised to a considerable extent.

Look forward to seeing the results.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Street - Page 3 Empty Website

Post  Club Shop Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 am

Will the new website be I-phone friendly? A big ask I know - I can't post comments when I use my phone and scrolling across and back again is hard work!
Club Shop
Club Shop

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:46 am

Vaughany wrote:Will the new website be I-phone friendly? A big ask I know - I can't post comments when I use my phone and scrolling across and back again is hard work!

Pitchero uses rss feeds so pages can be read using an rss reader (app). Not sure about posting though, or to what extent there is specific iphone compatibility.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Tony has done a great job with the MTFC website and Steven will have a lot to live up to. Thanks Tony & good luck Steven.

I didn't really understand the last post by Mountain Ash. He speaks a totally different language to me but on the other hand I am an Old Sod!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Wanderin' will explain it to you Old Sod!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:56 pm

Old Sod wrote:Tony has done a great job with the MTFC website and Steven will have a lot to live up to. Thanks Tony & good luck Steven.

I didn't really understand the last post by Mountain Ash. He speaks a totally different language to me but on the other hand I am an Old Sod!

RSS is a feed- its a file in essence that a website produces that can, among other things, be read by other websites. So if you update a headline on one site, then another site can read that too. So a good example would be if pitchero gets updated then it will automatically post to the twitter account of the club and the facebook page. I use this for my blog so it updates my twitter account and my facebook fanpage too. In practice it means write something once and it can be read all over the place. You may also be able to get an app for windows so that on your windows desktop it will tell you when there is an update on the new website. It is pretty cool technology.

Ooh and edited to add- you can use an rss reader to pull headlines from all your favourite sites to produce your own newsfeed customised to your own interests and get headlines from blogs, newpapers, bbc sport, pichero, and so on

Hope this helps Very Happy
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Mountain Ash wrote:

..it means write something once and it can be read all over the place.

Sounds just like what I do with the match programme!

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:42 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
Mountain Ash wrote:

..it means write something once and it can be read all over the place.

Sounds just like what I do with the match programme!

or I do with my copy of Readers Wives T and A Special. Embarassed
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Street - Page 3 Empty Merthyr vs Street

Post  hirwaunman Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:36 am

T & A special? - hmmm. Knowing Mountain Ash, that would be Tynte and Abercynon?

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Street - Page 3 Empty website & iphones

Post  Club Shop Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:58 am

Thanks for the advice M Ash.
Club Shop
Club Shop

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:57 am

hirwaunman wrote:T & A special? - hmmm. Knowing Mountain Ash, that would be Tynte and Abercynon?

Jeez, hahhaha. Very Happy
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Ash Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:58 am

Vaughany wrote:Thanks for the advice M Ash.

Just to add, I had a quick google yesterday, there isn't a specific app for pitchero, but there are rss reader apps out there.
Mountain Ash
Mountain Ash

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3