Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Bristol Manor Farm

+6
joan of ark
Merthyr Imp
The Trekker
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Mountain Ash
Solihull Martyr
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MERTHYR v Bristol Manor Farm - Page 2 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Bristol Manor Farm

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:07 pm

The "late goal conceded (sort of late)" was after 20 MINUTES of the second half!!!!

It was a more comprehensive win than was probably expected.
The first half was one-way but the visitors made it more competitive after the interval.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Tim Drummond wrote:It was a more comprehensive win than was probably expected.
The first half was one-way but the visitors made it more competitive after the interval.

Yes - there were times in the first half when I thought we were almost embarrassingly better than them.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 am

MERTHYR TOWN 4 BRISTOL MANOR FARM 1
Western Mail

A THREE-GOAL salvo from Merthyr in the opening 11 minutes ended this Western League encounter as a contest as the Martyrs extended their unbeaten league run to eight games.

The first, from a Lee Hartshorn header after two minutes was quickly followed by a second from Ryan Newman, whose 20-yard drive flew in off the woodwork. Ian Traylor was released after 11 minutes before lobbing Manor Farm goalkeeper Lee Bellard for number three and the visitors were reeling.

They did try to get some sort of foothold in the game and after 20 minutes Merthyr’s Andrew Thomas cleared a Luke Clark effort off the goal-line.

But, it was Merthyr who were well in control and the only surprise was that it took until the 47th minute for the fourth goal to arrive, Ryan Prosser rifling into the far corner from 15 yards.

Steve Fitzpatrick pulled a goal back for the visitors on 65 minutes from close range and that signalled an almighty storm that made football of any kind difficult for the last 25 minutes.

However, Merthyr ran out comfortable winners and they will look to three further home games in January to propel their quest for honours this season.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am

Merthyr 4 Manor Farm 1
South Wales Echo

MERTHYR started a run of four home Western League games in January with a resounding victory over sixth-placed Bristol Manor Farm courtesy of a blistering 11-minute spell from kick-off.

And, for manager Garry Shephard, it was the perfect start to a year that he hopes will provide successive promotion for Merthyr following their title-winning campaign last season. “We started brilliantly” said Shephard. “We blew them away in the first 10 minutes and despite some crazy conditions during the game I felt we were always in control.”

Lee Hartshorn headed in an Ian Traylor cross after two minutes before Ryan Newman struck a 20-yard shot into the net off the cross-bar. Traylor lobbed Manor Farm goalkeeper Lee Bellard after 11 minutes to increase Merthyr’s advantage and despite a string of chances before half-time it wasn’t until two minutes after the restart that Ryan Prosser rifled in number four.

Increasing driving wind and rain made conditions difficult for both sides in the final third of the game, but the visitors did grab a consolation through Steve Fitzpatrick.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Bristol Manor Farm - Page 2 Empty MERTHYR v Bristol Manor Farm

Post  CF48 MARTYR Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:45 pm

Outstanding from the lads yesterday, an awesome opening spelling had the game sewn up.

I though Trailor & Newman were very lively, and it was great to see our new goal Machine Lee Hartshorn notch another goal.

A very pleasing afternoon, in front of a bumper crowd of 525, terrific support, hope everyone returns for the coming home games as I really feel with bumper buoyant crowds we could continue this excellent run we are on...

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:44 pm

CF48 MARTYR wrote:I though Trailor & Newman were very lively...
Thats my solicitors!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:21 am

It's on cold, wet, dark days in January when a team shows its true character and they all demonstrated the extraordinary commitment to each other, the supporters and the club on Monday.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:48 am

Bristol Evening Post

John Black is demanding a "positive reaction" from his Bristol Manor Farm players after their heaviest defeat of the season.

Monday's 4-1 loss at Merthyr Town saw three of the Welsh side's goals come in the opening 11 minutes. "I warned our boys beforehand that this was a big game for us in front of a big crowd (525) and that we mustn't let ourselves down," said Black.

"For that opening period we couldn't get the ball off them and we conceded three bad goals. Merthyr are obviously a good side, but we made it too easy for them. By the time we did wake up, it was far too late."

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:57 am

Solihull Martyr wrote:
swanseajack wrote:swans winning too
I know - I was there!

Despite frequently having 11 men behind the ball, and not averse to the odd bit of time-wasting, the Jacks gave Villa a footballing lesson today. 2 didn't do them justice - they could have at least doubled that on chances. The only shot of note I can recall from the home side was hitting the crossbar deep into injury time.

And the Swansea fans were superb from start to finish: "Men of Harlech" sung with gusto pretty much throughout! Apart from the entertaining "Is this a library?" or "Is there a fire drill?"! Admittedly home fans very quiet, but pretty sporting in defeat.

what a fantastic game that was to watch last week mate.
did you sit in the villa end?
hope they win in the FA cup today, even though we dont need any distractions from the prem league, would be nice to go on a bit of a cup run.
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2