Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shock result at The Park

2 posters

Go down

Shock result at The Park Empty Shock result at The Park

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:21 am

Merthyr Town 2 Beaconsfield 3
A poor, disappointing performance but it was predicted by Boz, he reminded me as the crowd streamed out at the end.
Merthyr started well and could have struck a few times. They did find the net with a well-taken free-kick by Alex John. Then they seemed to lose their grip, became careless, and frail at the back as the visitors equalised. Seconds before the break, Beaconsfield took the lead.
Changes were needed but the task was uphill when the score went to 3-1, after an own goal, Frazer Thomas and Noah Smerdon later replaced Gethyn Hill and Liam Angel and the pace livened up. Lewys Twamley raised hopes with an 83d minute goal. There was a dramatic finale but Beaconsfield held out well to be deserved winners after 11 games without a victory.
After recent home wins, this was back to the days of failing at The Park. A win would have seen them go second as Salisbury lost at home to AFC Totton. Dorchester host Merthyr next Saturday. They are third from bottom but won 2-0 at Harrow Borough today. Merthyr need to maintain their away form next weekend.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Shock result at The Park Empty Re: Shock result at The Park

Post  martyrmark Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:59 pm

It seemed today, especially after our first goal, that the players just had to go through the motions for a further 3 points. How wrong they were, big time too. Struggling to pick one player who actually played well. How we are and going to miss Nick Rhodes at the back is obvious. Without him, we are so hesitant and just lose formation so easily. Paul Michael did suggest, that even our wins and recent run have been questionable, which is a strange one. He did tinker with selection today, whether they were enforced changes or not, only he knows. Other results mostly went our way today, but I think we’ll still be in the play off positions come April, unless we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Two weeks ago, he was encouraged by the big squad he had and said, he needed every one of them, in case they were needed. Fast forward to today and with a handful of those leaving/being released and a few of today’s squad carrying knocks, in my opinion, he needs to add at least two players to strengthen. Hill went off today (1-3 down) and was replaced with a midfielder, as we have no other forward on the books. I don’t think that process will get us out of trouble often.

martyrmark

Tim Drummond likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:15 pm

Isaac Richards, who went out on loan to Westfields this week, scored on his debut and provided an assist, during a 3-0 win against Mangotsfield.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Shock result at The Park Empty Shock result at the park

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:41 am

Aa far as I can work it out, there are just 17 players currently in the squad, and that includes Nick Rhodes who could be out for a month.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:24 am

We understand the difficulty in recruiting players, the same goes for all clubs, but if we are to maintain a push for at least a play off spot, those figures don’t make good reading and that’s if everyone is available for each game, which is never going to happen. We’re half way through January and I hope the management team have their thinking caps on, as plans for the remainder of the season goes. Can’t go hoping or crossing fingers on players availability etc. A few weeks ago, it was stated by the aforementioned, we had cover in all departments. As seen during yesterday’s effort, now we haven’t. Even during a recent Podcast, the vice chairman anticipated there would be new signings.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum