Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEE LUCAS MOVE.

4 posters

Go down

LEE LUCAS MOVE. Empty LEE LUCAS MOVE.

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:36 pm

FORMER  Martyr Lee Lucas has left Taunton Town by mutual consent. The former Swansea City and Motherwell midfielder went to Taunton from Merthyr in May 2020. Despite injuries, he played 56 games for Taunton with 10 appearances from the bench, and scored three goals. Head Coach Rob Dray said they were sorry to lose him but "circumstances made it difficult,"

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

LEE LUCAS MOVE. Empty Re: LEE LUCAS MOVE.

Post  martyrmark Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:32 am

Good player. I believe he and Gethyn Hill made the move to Taunton together, a few seasons ago. Wonder if both club and player, have eyes on a deal until the end of the season at least? Recently, Paul Michael stated that, he wasn’t looking to add anyone to the squad, unless it would be contributing more quality than we currently have. Personally, after Lewis Powell’s departure, I think we’d benefit more if a forward was added, although I expect all clubs would relish this, especially at this stage of the season…… Interesting news though.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

LEE LUCAS MOVE. Empty Re Lee Lucas Move

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:22 am

When a club announce that a player has "left", there is usually something lined up. Contracted players can't just leave unless player and club agree to cancel the contract. Non-contract players are free to leave a club any time and in the same way, a club can say they don't want him anymore.
When a player moves from one club to another, he has to be transferred by the necessary forms being signed by both secretaries.
Lewis Powell returned to Merthyr, then after three games was sad to have "left the club" and a little later it was said he had gone back to Cinderford.
It is not likely that a player- contract or non, will just "leave~" a club without another club being lined up. It's all a bit of a necessary "game" really. So watch this space!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:41 am

Looks like Taunton are having a bit of an early clear out and according to some of their fans, ‘leaving the squad a little thin.’ Yesterday, the club announced the signing of defender Louie Slough from Dorchester. Looking at Lee Lucas’s Twitter (X), it seems he isn’t happy the way the news came about. It reads, ‘Didn’t expect for it to be confirmed this way!’ The exclamation mark at the end, probably sums it up.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

LEE LUCAS MOVE. Empty RE: LEE LUCAS MOVE

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:55 am

So it looks as if Taunton decided to dispose of him. The "mutual consent" is presumably a misnomer but it's all part of football club statements.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:09 pm

Lee Lucas signed for Barry Town United earlier today.
Nubs
Nubs

martyrmark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:01 am

Just my opinion, but what a waste of talent ending up there. But, his choice has been made. I was hoping, there was a chance of him returning to us, especially with the number of players released of late…… So, there seems to be more chance of seeing entertainer Matt Lucas at the club at this rate.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

LEE LUCAS MOVE. Empty Re Lee Lucas Move

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:19 am

The seasiders haven't fared  too well so far after their return  to the JD Cymru Premier. If they go down again, it will  be at the level where Merthyr's reserves once were!
With JD Cymru League, there rarely seems to be a full Saturday programme and it must be hard to foster interest  among fans. I know some supporters would like to see the Martyrs in that league, despite the fight years ago to avoid being steamrollered into  it . (I remember the meeting in Strikers).
Some fans would watch Merthyr whichever league they were in. I think JD Cymru admission is about £8 to Merthyr would have to increase their gate by a third to have the same income as now.Charging present prices would probably anger the league.  And then  there are fewer games, not many in midweek, some on a Friday night etc, and no FA Cup or FA Trophy fixtures.
As regards the size of Merthyr's squad, of course they can sign as many players as they want to as they pay only 16 players maximum per week as they are all non-contract and so get paid only when they are in the squad. Despite reservations about the JD Cymru, the clubs seem to pay good money, mainly because they cash in when they get into European games. And so some players are happy to sign for them .Penybont had their Euro glory in the summer. They had to play at the rugby ground, and were excited at a 1,400 crowd!
I agree  Lee Lucas would have  been a good acquisition for Merthyr. Barry have also signed defender Wil Richards, 32, from Gloucester City. He has also been with Shrewsbury and Stourbridge, and Barry boss Steve Jenkins said he tried to sign him when he was at Hereford.

Last edited by Tim Drummond on Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additions)

Tim Drummond

martyrmark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  martyrmark Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:55 am

Spot on there Tim. That Cymru League set up in general baffles me. The attraction for the majority of players, has got to be for the ££’s. Even how clubs have it to give out, baffles me more. As you say, there are sometimes gaps of over two weeks before clubs play competitively and in front of an average 150 attendance. At the end of it, if ‘successful,’ and as records show, a two legged tie against other European based clubs, which usually ends at that hurdle. (Apart from TNS, which is another story.) Again, no disrespect to the league, but you can count the number of players on one hand, in a season, that actually move on to a higher level of football. As you can tell, I’m a ‘remainer.’

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:37 pm

Personnally I would not sign Lee Lucas for two reasons
He is on the wrong side of 30 years of age
This time of year clubs are struggling matches are being postponed and there is little income coming in
If the white stuff descends upon us then we could go weeks without any income so at this time of the year if we can plough on with the squad we have and perhaps call some of our players on loan back so be it

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum