Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harrow v merthyr

4 posters

Go down

Harrow v merthyr Empty Harrow v merthyr

Post  scamp Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:18 am

The martyrs drew 1-1 at Harrow
We equalised in the 93rd minute
Goal came from refell
The improvement in results since Mathew has taken over is plain to see
Pity the board did not act sooner but as one official commented mid week overheard by a lady friend of mine who has no interest in football they want to get relagated so they will have more interest and bigger crowds what an attitude to take
Well done lads having to perform with out a full compliment of subs as well

scamp

Back to top Go down

Harrow v merthyr Empty Harrow Vs Merthyr

Post  hirwaunman Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:48 pm

As relegation looms, disappointed fans like me will naturally seek consolation - it's like saying 'now we can concentrate on the league' when knocked out of the cup. The consoling hope would be that in the lower division we should get more goals, more wins, bigger crowds and ultimately promotion back to the SL Premier. Maybe the official (?board member) was thinking along these lines? But actively hoping or even planning for relegation is something else altogether - something very stupid indeed. Anyone who follows National League will know that there are many famous ex-Football League clubs struggling in vain to get promoted back where they came from - Southend, Notts County, Torquay are just some, not to mention Wrexham, who have needed two fairy godfathers even to be in with a shout. Yes immediate promotion is possible, but a future of mid-table mediocrity in the lower division is equally likely To go about stating that relegation is a good thing is an insult to the players who are now fighting tooth and nail to stay up, and a betrayal of loyal fans - like telling the players not to push themselves and the fans not to turn up because it's better to be going down.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Harrow v merthyr Empty Harrow vs Merthyr

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:44 am

I was also informed that a director told a supporter if Merthyr were relegated and going for the play-offs, they would get bigger crowds.
I remember when Merthyr Tydifl were in the Midland Division of the Southern League for years!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Harrow v merthyr Empty Re: Harrow v merthyr

Post  martyrmark Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:33 am

Nothing surprises me anymore after the goings on seen at the park this season. This is nothing new, as recognised by Tim in his post. It’s been a regular talking point for years, especially if you were stood in between Club Directors or sat on a supporters bus, travelling back home with them, from an away fixture. ‘We can’t afford to go up’ would be top of their quotes. I understand you have to have these people as Directors but, if that’s their process of thinking ‘this is in the best interest for the club,’ then I believe they’re in the wrong place. Oh, for another John Reddy era, when these people would have been slung out of his boardroom, never to return. It does put in question, why are we bothering to ‘support’ these kind of actions and why is there a football club in the town? Answer is, because we care and are paying to see our club progress, however long it takes and not to go backwards, because it suits Directors. I thought there was a five year ‘positive’ plan in the pipeline? Doesn’t sound very promising to me, unless the current people at the helm believe that a few more steps down the pyramid and mediocrity is their aim and it was hidden agenda all along? Word does spread fast, especially in the sporting world and what are the chances of signing decent players and installing a creditable manager, if they hear what’s in store? Or, is it a case of, as long as we get eleven players on the field and a.n. other is in charge, three hundred people in attendance and whatever league we find ourselves in, so be it? At this point in time, it seems that their wishes are coming true, but take this old saying with you. ‘Be careful of what you wish for.’ Thanks again for the season of no hope.

martyrmark

Back to top Go down

Harrow v merthyr Empty Re: Harrow v merthyr

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum