Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too many CUP games

+6
steve997
cliffyboy
Wandering
GordonTheGopher
Merthyr Imp
welshexile72
10 posters

Go down

Too many CUP games Empty Too many CUP games

Post  welshexile72 Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 am

All these cup games seem to be paying a toll on the boys. Is the Welsh cup and the Varse worth it??
Getting out of the toolstation div's has to be more important.

welshexile72

Back to top Go down

Too many CUP games Empty Re: Too many CUP games

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:08 am

Well, out of Tareq Khalil, Matthew Harris and Andrew Thomas two of them received their injuries in league matches.

I'd say that in a sort of way the Welsh Cup and the FA Vase are more worthwhile than the FA Cup as we ought to have more of a chance of progressing in them.

But in all cases, there is the chance of publicity, prize money (highest in the FA Cup) and gate money from, hopefully, attractive opposition if we progress in the Welsh Cup and FA Cup. Also,
a cup run can raise the profile of the club which can attract more sponsorship and advertising.

The competition out of the four this season that I think most people would say we can do without is the Les Phillips Cup. But as it's the League Cup for the Western League I daresay it's compulsory to enter it.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 am

Yes all the cups are worth it, F A CUP and F A Varse for the money in the early rounds and the Welsh cup because we could possibly win it.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

It will be interesting to see how the squad all perform in the two cup games over the weekend.

At least five out of the next seven games are at home (possibly six out of seven if we win on Saturday) which will help to generate revenue and hopefully retain the current level of support.

I think that everyone would agree that promotion to the Evostick Southern league is the club's main goal this season but I suspect that the players would like a good run for the extra publicity that it provides and the Trust Board for the extra cash it generates.

Luckily we only have to play 34 league games this season and there are plently of blank weekends to re-arrange any games affected by any potential cup runs.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Not that many blank Saturdays in 2012, Feb 18, March 10 & April 14 on the original list. I'm not a fan of too many cup games, in the case of the Welsh cup we could draw an away day in N.Wales if we progress to the later stages.

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:51 pm

cliffyboy wrote:Not that many blank Saturdays in 2012, Feb 18, March 10 & April 14 on the original list. I'm not a fan of too many cup games, in the case of the Welsh cup we could draw an away day in N.Wales if we progress to the later stages.

According to the fixture list in the programme (which I'm sure is correct!) we currently have blank Saturdays on:-

January 14th
January 28th
February 11th (although that's FA Vase 5th round day!)
February 18th
April 14th

March 10th we're home to Larkhall, so that's no longer blank.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  steve997 Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:18 am

I am of the opinion that the club needs the Money too much for us to be picky.

It is good to see that the players seem happy enough playing in all of these matches. They will be playing on consecutive days this weekend, could you imagine a high profile club in that situation?

steve997

Back to top Go down

Too many CUP games Empty Too many CUP games

Post  CF48 MARTYR Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:25 am

I dont think you can attribute the upcoming spieght of cup fixtures to any of our injuires, as up to now with the exception of the Cearau game, we would have been required to play the same amount of cup and league games this season as we did last season.

Like Sheppy has said in the paper today, we must get on with it

I certainly think this weekend our priority should be on the FA Cup which I am sure it will be, but I fully expect us to progress in both competitions, as well as the FA Vase, as well as challenge at the very top of the league, as has been mentioned we only have 34 league matches this season, where as previously we have had 40+ sometimes in the Southern League, in addition to the all the cups.

What we must not forget is that most of the teams in our league also compete in competitions such at the Wiltshire senior cup etc, so they will have just as much games as us, with less resources and bodies to cope.

Lets roll our sleves up, patch the lads up and battle on...

UP THE TOWN

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dai Bando Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:31 pm

welshexile72 wrote:All these cup games seem to be paying a toll on the boys. Is the Welsh cup and the Varse worth it??
Getting out of the toolstation div's has to be more important.

Thats football !!, so lets get on with it .
Dai Bando
Dai Bando

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:03 pm

My other lot got to within 2 games of Wembley last year in the Vase. Last week, a few minutes after talking about that cup run to a friend, we veered off topic and I got asked about how memorable sex with a certain someone was. I replied that the cup run was better than the sex. I can't remember how many times we had screwed, or it being particularly great, but I can remember every game of that cup run, every sending off (it was just under 1 a game) and almost every goal we scored. We came close to Wembley having won 7 consecutive ties away from home and only got beat in extra time having by then played 30+ minutes with only 9 men. And we hit the post in about the 88th minute which would have won it 2 players short.

Yes. it's worth it.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:40 pm

timshorts wrote:My other lot got to within 2 games of Wembley last year in the Vase. Last week, a few minutes after talking about that cup run to a friend, we veered off topic and I got asked about how memorable sex with a certain someone was. I replied that the cup run was better than the sex. I can't remember how many times we had screwed, or it being particularly great, but I can remember every game of that cup run, every sending off (it was just under 1 a game) and almost every goal we scored. We came close to Wembley having won 7 consecutive ties away from home and only got beat in extra time having by then played 30+ minutes with only 9 men. And we hit the post in about the 88th minute which would have won it 2 players short.

Yes. it's worth it.

To paraphrase Rudyard Kipling, 'a woman is only a woman, but a good game of football is a Match.'

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Merthyr complained when the club was excluded from The Welsh Cup, so it seems strange that anybody should be complaining now that we are back in it.
The club didn't have to compete in it this season as we know Cardiff and Wrexham said No.
But I think it is right that we should be included. It helps anyway to fulfil some obligation to Welsh football, Merthyr being a club which plays in the English pyramid.
Last season Merthyr fell at the first Cup hurdles, leaving only the league to aim for.
And despite the bad winter, Merthyr had little problem in meeting their fixtures.There are three fewer teams in the Western League compared to the Southern League.
And if we do have extended Cup runs, we are hardly likely to be involved in The FA Cup for too long.
But that is the Cup which will generate more cash for the club, even in the qualifying rounds.The FA Vase could bring Merthyr more publicity the further they go in the competition.
It's strange that one time the casual supporter was more interested in Cup matches than League matches. Now it seems that some fans stay away from Cup games and support the league games only.
There have always been lots of Cup competitions, eg, FA Cup, FA Trophy, Welsh Cup, Southern League Cup.
And years ago Merthyr also played in the South Wales Senior Cup.
The more matches, the more revenue for the club.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:34 pm

OK, good & fair comments on this BUT I hope we are not seeing one saying "those cup runs cost us promotion" at the end of the season!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down