Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former Martyr

3 posters

Go down

Former Martyr  Empty Former Martyr

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Mike McLaughlin, best known for being part of Hereford United's famous giantkilling side died recently. I hadn't realised he'd played for Merthyr at one time.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/14134124.Tributes_paid_to_former_Newport_County_and_Hereford_United_captain_Mike_McLaughlin/
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Former Martyr  Empty Re: Former Martyr

Post  Solihull Martyr Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Minutes silence Sat?

Can't recall the gentleman myself. Perhaps Wanderin', Meirig or one of those of a more ancient vintage can update?

Wonder if Fr Mike (ex-Dowlais) is officiating in the funeral?
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Former Martyr  Empty Former Martyr

Post  Gareth Williams Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:17 am

Sad to hear of the death of Mike McLaughlin who played for Merthyr in the early Sixties.  I remember him as a tough, very fit and hard-tackling wing-half who took no prisoners but was also a talented distributor of the ball. He was brought to Merthyr from Newport County by player-manager Les Graham, probably a loan deal, along with full-back Jacky Pratt and centre-forward Peter Sanders. Mike went back to Newport when Les had a spell as manager at Somerton Park and of course later reverted to centre-half and was captain of the giant-killing Hereford cup side. Les was known to bolster the Merthyr team with Newport County apprentices for those long midweek trips to places like Gravesend and Tonbridge. We were never sure if they had actually put pen to paper as one young lad gave the game away as he stepped on the coach at Newport and innocently asked 'Who are my today, Les?' Happy days! RIP Mike.

Gareth Williams

Back to top Go down

Former Martyr  Empty Re: Former Martyr

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down