Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Hungerford

+7
Wandering
Merthyr Imp
GordonTheGopher
Nubs
Solihull Martyr
Boz1964
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MERTHYR v Hungerford - Page 2 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Hungerford

Post  WSCEvans Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 pm

In fairness Hungerford looked a decent team played the ball around well and arguably had a large amount of possession with at times the Martyrs pinned back. However despite that I would question did their manager get their tactics right. They pressed very high up the pitch at times their entire squad past the half way line with no real line of defence, ultimately that proved to be their undoing as Merthyr exploited the gaps with quick breaks at pace and Hungerford were back peddling. Credit to the Martyrs for exploiting this, the back four were tremendous, Traylor looking back to his best, and Jarrad sublime in Midfield. Onwards and Upwards
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:00 pm

well I honestly bloody well enjoyed myself last night,

left home (Ammanford) around 17:40, picked father and nephew up from Swansea 18:00. Drove up the heads of valleys road, got to that roundabout where I should have taken a right onto the A470, but for some stupid reason I went straight on and drove for a good 5 miles in the wrong direction heading towards Abergavenny, this was around 19:00 and I knew I better start finding my way to the stadium asap. I finally gave in, pulled over and got google maps out on the iPhone, Led me straight to the stadium. Which I then found everyone making a scramble for parking spaces in the housing estate around the corner, I have never seen streets so narrow.

Entered the stadium, bought the obligatory match day programme, had to find a way to walk around the stadium to get to the main terrace.

Watching Hungerford warm up they looked fast and powerful, which led me to think they will come out all guns blazing,

I think the early goal helped us massively last night, aswel as a solid defence, and the keeper making two outstanding saves, especially that one in second half when he had to get right down to his bottom right corner to finger tip it around the post.
When Hungerford got a goal back I worried for a good ten minutes that they will get the second, but Merthyr were just too solid in defence.

3rd goal was sublime and it just had to go in. And for the 4th it was great to see Bauza grab it. I always enjoyed watching him down the Liberty Stadium. I'm Just happy he has remained in Wales.

No Kerry Morgan? injured I think it says in the programme??

Some of you can forgive me for being a bit ignorant in my expectations, I was thinking I was going up there to watch some scrappy low league football, fighting and rucking for every pass, but that was some real good possession I witnessed last night, hardly much hoofballs in sight, some lovely passing and Merthyr getting the ball out of tight corners and still keeping it to themselves. And that football is what everyone enjoys watching.

On the whole, we all really enjoyed, we are all Jacks to the core and are chuffed with the success our club has had in recent times but come match days first of all we would have to be extremely lucky to get hold of tickets, and then if we do, for three of us would be in excess of £150 with tickets, parking, food, programme, etc. I don't give a stuff for these people who say your not real fans if you don't go to watch the games, because £150 is a lot of dough to lay out twice a month, especially with my mortgage. I try but just cannot manage it.

So yes,

- Tuesday night football
- standing in the terraces
- easy parking
- entertaining football
- being able to take a can of pop into the game

Love it

you shall see us up there more often guys!!
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:31 pm

A good post, SwanseaJack (especially about the programme being obligatory!).

If you come along to the game with Weymouth a week on Saturday you may find I've quoted some of what you say in the programme (if that's all right).

You mention the good football being played (to be fair, it was from both sides) - you should have seen some of the games last season. Wandering sums it up in part of his posting above: '..slick passing, attacking with verve and scoring lovely goals'. We've been spoiled with that over the last couple of seasons, and while we've not been a one man team most would agree that the player at the heart of it was Gavin Williams in midfield, and he's been missed this season after suffering a long-term injury.

Kerry Morgan is injured but was out on the field with the substitutes during their half time kick-about, although not joining in himself. At least he wasn't limping, unlike a week or two ago.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Boz1964 wrote: ....great write up too Imp.....Boz

Thanks. As usual a shortened version of it will be available in hard copy in due course.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Hungerford - Page 2 Empty MERTHYR TOWN vs Hungerford Town

Post  PeterHarman Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:21 am

Just uploaded some images from the game onto the Flickr account.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:A good post, SwanseaJack (especially about the programme being obligatory!).

If you come along to the game with Weymouth a week on Saturday you may find I've quoted some of what you say in the programme (if that's all right).  

You mention the good football being played (to be fair, it was from both sides) - you should have seen some of the games last season. Wandering sums it up in part of his posting above: '..slick passing, attacking with verve and scoring lovely goals'. We've been spoiled with that over the last couple of seasons, and while we've not been a one man team most would agree that the player at the heart of it was Gavin Williams in midfield, and he's been missed this season after suffering a long-term injury.

Kerry Morgan is injured but was out on the field with the substitutes during their half time kick-about, although not joining in himself. At least he wasn't limping, unlike a week or two ago.

Yes please do quote what you like Imp.
I have already planned to come to the Weymouth game aswel.

I certainly do look forward to going up there next.

Poole first up though, maybe a good cup run? Im working this Saturday so I shall be frequenting the forum to find out the score.

Scott
(SwanseaJack)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2