Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar

+15
douggolfer
gatekeeper
hirwaunman
Solihull Martyr
Admin
Cyfarthfa
Merthyr Imp
Royston Rogers
Twyn Jasper
Benji
Nubs
scamp
Old Sod
Boz1964
liamtoomey
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar Empty Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar

Post  liamtoomey Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:26 am

As you are all aware, the club is currently undergoing a massive redevelopment which will see the construction of a brand new state of the art function room, and a new sports bar, along with many other facilities that will benefit the whole community in Merthyr Tydfil and surrounding areas for decades to come.

As joint owners of the club, we feel it only right that you all get the chance to input into the redevelopment. That's why we're giving members the chance to come up with the names for the new Function Room and the brand new refurbished Sports Bar.

You can enter whatever name you like (within reason) and the winning names will be picked in due course.

How to enter

To enter, you can comment on this post or alternatively you can email myself on liamtoomey@merthyrtownfc.co.uk

All entries MUST include your name, membership number and the 1 name of your choice for the Function Room and/or the 1 name of your choice for the the Sports Bar.

You have until 5pm on Tuesday 23 June 2015 to submit your entries.

liamtoomey

Back to top Go down

Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar Empty Re: Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar

Post  Boz1964 Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:38 am

It has to be called ' The Strand'....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar Empty Re: Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar

Post  Old Sod Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:55 am

Boz1964 wrote:It has to be called ' The Strand'....Boz
For those of us of a certain age the phrase "You'll never alone with a Strand" appeared on an advert for Strand cigarettes.  They didn't last long as the perception was you're on your own but you've got a fag for company.  That worked as far as Public Schools was concerned but it never worked in the real world.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Link up well with the cigg e stadium

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 pm

The obvious one for the sports bar would be Strikers.
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Have to agree it is still well recognised as a venue by those who are unaware it has undertaken demolition

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Benji Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:40 pm

scamp wrote:Have to agree it is still well recognised as a venue by those who are unaware it has undertaken demolition

That is true. I've been asked quite a few times locally to me in Tredegar by people of a slightly older generation about Strikers.

Shit name though really.
Benji
Benji

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Benji wrote:
scamp wrote:Have to agree it is still well recognised as a venue by those who are unaware it has undertaken demolition

That is true. I've been asked quite a few times locally to me in Tredegar by people of a slightly older generation about Strikers.

Shit name though really.
You're not wrong Benji.  Calling it Strikers would conjure up something that's in the past and we need to move on.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:21 pm

As for the sportsmans bar...in honour of our football neighbours that helped us in our hour of need...The Taff's Well...(think about it, .it has drink connotations) ...or 'Georgies' in honour of our charismatic winger who loves a pint....the Atalanta Bar Game O...after our most famous European Match ( so far) .....or Bennetts Bevyhouse...in honour of its major shareholder....Three Pints on the Board is another suggestion...or Trade Centre Ales?....as a thank you to our main sponsor for the last few seasons....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Not to use a name because it is from the past and to say we move on I fail to understand this reasoning.Are we saying the Dai miles stand was a poor decision because it seem the club would not move on by that decision or the leo gallaghan suite etc.Without strikers and maldwyn davies who put an astronomical amount of money in at the time by investing his money in strikers there would have been no club to carry on with today.Give the new development a new name yes but to say we will not move on by using a name from the past I think is a bit insulting

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:50 pm

I may be looking back with Rose colored spectacles, but I agree with Scamp The late great Maldwyn Davies a self-made man for those who did not know him, he loved and was obsessed with the club, he even bought and drove the team mini bus, he paid many bills out of his own pocket, built the original Strikers or the Maldwyn Davies Jubilee club as it was known then and later donated it to the club, what a guy, his unselfish acts should certainly be remembered, along with what he did as an individual for the club.

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:32 am

I agree that without Strikers in the past we may not have a club to support now but on the other hand Strikers was derelict for a long time before the old Merthyr Tydfil club was liquidated and Merthyr Town started life without it.

Did I say I did not recognise the hard work put in by the likes of Maldwyn Davies and Dai Miles and many others over the years?  Both these gentlemen were true supporters of the club and did marvellous things on our behalf and will always be remembered and the David Miles Stand is a testament to that at least.

Strikers was an iconic venue but it was not named after any individual and it's not there anymore.  The new facilities will enhance the fresh start Merthyr Town, as a community club, has made over the last 5 years and whatever name is decided the name of the game will be to attract custom to it and although sentiment is a wonderful thing it may not necessarily be the brand we are looking for.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:42 am

Is that the view of the club, if so what guidelines would you like us to follow, otherwise we are wasting our time making any suggestions that are out of sync?

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar Empty Sports Bar

Post  Royston Rogers Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:44 am

What about"Logger's Retreat" after another true servant of our Club,he was Groundsman,Center back,Center forward if required and a martyr through and through often when this Club was struggling to survive.He was also our security man in his caravan by Strikers.

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:35 am

I think all Old S was saying is that we need to move on from the name Strikers. My own view is that if the name was used again - even as 'New Strikers' - there may be people as Scamp indicates who might think it's the same place, not being aware it has been demolished.

For the same reason, probably best not to call it the 'New Candac'.

Liam's original posting was that the name(s) would be only chosen from those submitted by club members, including their membership number. So any suggestions put forward on here are presumably for debate only and not going to be considered (unless the person can be identified as a member).

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:13 am

Move on everyone, it's not up for debate, just send your suggestions to Liam, I'm sure they will all be excellent & be judged on their own merit, or better still those who are not members join today to ensure you can enter & at the same time own a little bit of your  Football Club-now that is far more important!

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:21 am

No suggestions are ruled out, but when the decision is made by the club Board, it is likely to take account of the fact that Strikers had a very poor reputation in its latter years with local residents, licensing and police authorities, until it closed 8 years ago.

The club has had to work hard over the last six years to try to overcome that reputation, by meeting residents at all stages of development and working with the licensing authorities to overcome their concerns, especially when applying for a new alcohol licence, which we have to do now in view of the increased size of the facilities to be on offer.

If the name Strikers is not chosen it will not be in any sense indicate a lack of respect for the people who have worked for and continue to work for the club. The naming of the Dave Miles stand was proof that club's current Board are aware of the need to remember the contributions of people who worked hard for the club in the past (In Dai Miles case until the day he passed on).

The aim will be to provide modern and attractive banqueting and community facilities  that will attract the widest possible clientele - hence the search for an attractive and distinctive name.

Admin
Admin

https://mtfcforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:59 pm

What about offering both to sponsors and naming as per sponsor for the season or more depending on the deal?

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Twyn Jasper wrote:What about offering both to sponsors and naming as per sponsor for the season or more depending on the deal?

I did wonder myself whether sponsorship could be an option, after all the ground has a sponsor's name attached to it at the moment.

One thing I could think of against it would be a lack of continuity if it was being re-named every few years with a change of sponsor - for example, The Cigg-e Bar to start with, but then a change to The Trade Centre Bar in a couple of years time etc, etc.

Of course it could have a permanent name AND a sponsor's name. For example The Cigg-e John Charles Bar, later renamed to the Trade Centre John Charles Bar.

A drawback might be if this was thought too unwieldy.

(The above examples are for illustrative purposes only and not necessarily to be taken as including my suggestion for the name of the bar).
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:35 pm

How about "Meirigs place, Meirigs place" (so good they named it twice?!)

Given the illustrious nickname of the Bob Bank stand, the W**k Bar would be a good option (especially if I'm there). Alternatively, Wenquerz has a nice ring to it (!) - albeit a bit like a cheesey 90's wine bar!

Be good to see how many people can get accurately grasp the wrong end of the stick on this one given the reaction to Old S*ds posting! He deserves it mind!

And also nice to see the good folk of Tredegar asking after strikers. They still in bearskins?!!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:12 am

Good idea Twyn Jasper, the idea of a two year name deal sounds good to me.

Any revenue by way of subliminal sponsorship is a great suggestion that the Club should consider.

Lincoln's Inn is another option not for illustrative purposes.

Liked the Meirig one Solihull...might prove popular with people with a stutter in happy hour.

Boz

Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:11 am

Boz1964 wrote:
Lincoln's Inn is another option
Boz

May need to take legal advice over that one.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar Empty Name the New Function Room and Sports Bar

Post  hirwaunman Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:14 am

If you called it Lincoln's Inn you'd have to employ baristas?

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Twyn Jasper Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:24 am

Or even contact Alex from GRAFT Merthyr company calling it the GRAFT Inn (Grafting)

Twyn Jasper

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:58 am

Hirwaunman.....best one yet....Imp ...I hope it will be 'brief'.....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next